Mexico Bison Hunt???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mexico Bison Hunt???

I have had the opportunity to be on a few high priced leases, but due to my work schedule I can't justify the cost when I would only be able to get out a handful of times during season. After I let this last deer lease pass me by I decided that I would rather dabble with local public opportunity and plan 1 "big" hunt every other year. I typically hunt traditional archery only, but would make exceptions depending on the reaction of the outfitter, but nonetheless, I would at least want to give trad a chance.

That being said, I have been leaning pretty heavily towards a free range Bison hunt in Mexico. Has anyone on the green screen hunted with Sonoran Outfitters? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Don't know anything about Sonoran Outfitters but the Bison hunt sounds like fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
      Don't know anything about Sonoran Outfitters but the Bison hunt sounds like fun.
      Maybe, just maybe I am envious of your avatar pic.... In a big way!!!

Comment

It was not a free range hunt but was a lot of fun. If you're interested in reading about this hunt, it's post #35 on this thread: https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...highlight=book

Comment

Bison is a bucket list hunt for me. I want to use a lever 45-70. Never considered Mexico. Is it a better value? Most I've seen in the Western states are >$5K.

Comment

I don’t know anything about Sonoran outfitters but I do recall a meateater episode where he killed a buffalo in Mexico.

I would guess bringing meat back wouldn’t be an issue?

Comment

Wyoming had 413 NR applicants for our 25 NR any bison tags this year. $4,402 is the fee for the license. You get it all. Some guided hunts and DIY is doable with pack out help, Tag and Drag does that.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                Wyoming had 413 NR applicants for our 25 NR any bison tags this year. $4,402 is the fee for the license. You get it all. Some guided hunts and DIY is doable with pack out help, Tag and Drag does that.
                depending on the guide fees that could be cheaper than Mexico... The Sonoran Hunts run around $8500 with 100% success. They are a very well managed herd and only take post mature bulls.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                  I don’t know anything about Sonoran outfitters but I do recall a meateater episode where he killed a buffalo in Mexico.

I would guess bringing meat back wouldn’t be an issue?
                  This is the same group Meat Eater hunts with if I'm not mistaken, and bringing the meat back is not an issue, especially if you drive. could get pricey if you fly in and have to ship the meat back

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                    Bison is a bucket list hunt for me. I want to use a lever 45-70. Never considered Mexico. Is it a better value? Most I've seen in the Western states are >$5K.
                    This particular outfitter runs around $8500 but it is 1x1 or 2x1 fully guided with lodging and meals.

Comment

Wyoming is no guarantee by any means, hunt can be very weather dependent.
                      They are very DIY conducive though.

Comment

Thanks for that suggestion wytek! I will definitely be looking into that draw for sure! If preference points count I may look into that option above this hunt and do and elk hunt for the time being. Something to consider!

Comment

No PP for the Wyoming bison draw, all random.
                          We have 3 cows from the Wyoming hunts.
                          They are probably going to make bison OIL in 2022.
                          Bulls can be found early in season on NF lands. Later , in winter, they move to the Elk Refuge with deep snow. It can be a sh#! show though.

Comment

Searched TBH fro "Sonorran Outfitters" and most recent comment (2014) simply said "banned from SCI." Dont mean to turn into a bashing thread but worth a look.

Rant on hunting forum from client who was burned... One dude comments "If one does ANY research on hunting Mexico PRIOR to booking a hunt, one would find out that Sonoran Outfitters is probably not the best option. With all of the bad information out there on this outfit, I don't feel too sorry for those that get "stung" by him. I personally have never heard more horror stories about an outfit."

AZ Attorney General press release ...
                            FLAGSTAFF - Attorney General Mark Brnovich announced that his office obtained a $30,000 consent judgment against Sonoran Outfitters Adventures, LLC, and its owner, Todd Basil Rice. Sonoran Outfitters Adventure, based in Flagstaff, advertised and sold hunting, guiding, and trophy delivery services in Arizona, New Mexico, Oregon, and Mexico. Sonoran Outfitters failed to deliver the hunting, guiding, and/or trophy delivery services to at least 10 consumers who prepaid for the services.
                            Last edited by BlackHogDown; 07-21-2021, 12:45 PM.

Comment

I saw some posts similar to this, but didn't find the legal case against them until you just now posted the link. I always take online reviews with a grain of salt because its easy to bash someone from behind a screen. Thanks for posting the links, especially the press release... that is new info for me!

Comment

Working...
                              X