Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-12-2021, 11:59 AM   #1
waterdog
Pope & Young

Default big tiger galveston co

big fish https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/i-...ark/ar-AALZ7mc
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 12:43 PM   #2
BayouCat
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gulf Coast

That's pretty cool!
BayouCat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 12:55 PM   #3
Tiger
Ten Point

im only 240...
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 01:07 PM   #4
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Another reason I don't swim in the ocean.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 01:40 PM   #5
Puncher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

A good friend of mine landed a 9.5’ tiger off the beach in Port A a month or so ago, and successfully released it. That’s his second tiger off the beach the last few years. Didn’t have near the girth the one in the OP has though.
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 01:42 PM   #6
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Thats amazing. Good for them. Hopefully they were able to save all the meat either for themselves or to donate... feed a whole village with that thing.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 03:19 PM   #7
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

what a fish
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 07:11 PM   #8
Tiger
Ten Point

i was raised on a shrimp boat if the people in bolivar seen the amount of sharks 1/4 mile from the beach they would never be another swimmer enter the water thereive seen what looked to be hunderds if you could freeze frame them i could have walked across them to the next boat...funny thing was this was just after jaws...we were amazed
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 07:33 PM   #9
shiner78
Ten Point

Hunt In: gonzales, county

Wow!!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
shiner78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 07:54 PM   #10
Austin
Ten Point

Am I the only one that thinks that’s a mighty small boat to be taking 40 miles offshore
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 07:57 PM   #11
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Hunt In: Who knows

There's sea monsters out there.
kevin nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 08:12 PM   #12
ByronB
Pope & Young

That is a big Tiger Shark......And just imagine that Tiger Sharks can grow to around 18’ and 2000 lbs. Shark Week is on Discovery Channel.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 09:43 PM   #13
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Am I the only one that thinks that’s a mighty small boat to be taking 40 miles offshore
X-2

btw; if it had been me I would have taken a few pics and released it.
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 10:08 PM   #14
DBLHKUP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burleson Co, Webb Co

How’d they get it inside the boat? Seriously….didn’t notice hoist or winch of sorts.
DBLHKUP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 10:20 PM   #15
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Deep v
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 10:20 PM   #16
highspeed
Ten Point

Hunt In: The wilderness where the wild things are doing wild things.

What tournament was that? They use to have the Big, Bad, & Ugly tournament in Matagorda years ago that was always a big draw.
highspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 10:48 PM   #17
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Quote:
Am I the only one that thinks thatís a mighty small boat to be taking 40 miles offshore
Yea, I caught that also. We used to take a 21 ft. or so Wellcraft out about every weekend, during the summer. I think our fuel tank was 26 gallons. I can tell you we would fill up in Port A, I think Dolphin Docks or Woody's, then head out. We would only go out about 15 miles, I think. We had no GPS or any other navigational system, so I was guessing how far out we used to go. We would go out to some of the rigs and fish around them. We found one rig, that we went to multiple times, we always hooked into something big around that rig. So we made it a point to go straight to that rig, after a few trips out. But before that we would go out find offshore shrimp boats and fish around them, then off to find some rigs. I know every time we went out, we were on fumes when we got back to the end of the jetties.

To make it out 40 miles, they must have had a larger fuel tank installed or added a second tank. I know we might have made it out 40 miles, but we would have been out of fuel, by the time we got there, if we made it.

That same boat, we could go out and run all over Redfish Bay, Nueces Bay and Copano Bay, all week and still have plenty of fuel at the end of the week. We would rack up a lot more miles in the bays, that we did on one trip off shore. That boat burnt a ton more fuel every time we went offshore.

We did not have a whole lot of problem with the size of the ways, other than the fact, I had to give it a lot more throttle to get up the bigger waves, that we would encounter in a storm. It was not uncommon to encounter a storm in the middle of a nice sunny day. There were multiple times, we encountered waves that from crest to trough, were around 25 ft. high. Those waves were big, from crest to crest would be around to 100 yards. Going up those things was like climbing hills. Once you got near the top of the waves, you had to back out of the throttle, so you did not get airborne. Did that once, it was bad. We were heading out the waves going in, so the water just drops out from under you. You go from a couple feet from the bottom of the boat to more like 8 ft. to 10 ft., quickly. You don't ever want to do that, trust me, it hurts, when you land.

Even without a storm blowing through, it took a lot more fuel to get around out in the gulf compared to the bays.

We ran into storms going out a few times, that we could see would pass within a hour, so we would head out anyway. Then we got caught in some bad storms while out there fishing a couple times, those were not fun. When the waves come over the back of the boat, it will start filling the boat up quickly. There was one time, I thought the boat was going down, we had a lot of water in the boat quickly. We got it started and took off, took a while to get up on plane. We had the bilge pumps going for most of the trip back in.

If there was no storm, the trip out and back was not a big deal, other than the possibility of running out of fuel.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 10:56 PM   #18
DEREKG22
Six Point

Hunt In: Seeking

Quote:
Am I the only one that thinks thatís a mighty small boat to be taking 40 miles offshore

I do quite a bit off offshore fishing.....at a desperate time between one offshore boat being sold, and a newer one being built, myself and 2 buddies had the itch to go troll for wahoo at the flower gardens but the only vessel we had was a 21 ft center console with a single 150 hp yamaha we named "the dingy" ....We fueled the boat all the way up and took 55 gallons of extra fuel in gas cans in the front of the boat and headed out on our journey 100 miles offshore out of freeport late the night before. We arrived at the spot at about 430 am in time for a quick nap before sun up....we trolled the following day and caught several nice fish and made it back home by dark.....NEVER....EVER....EVER will I attempt a doofus move like that again.....my back still hurts thinking about that small vessel tackling those seas the entire ride in....taking a small boat far out to sea can be done, in the prefect conditions, but things can change out there in minutes. Mother nature has never been known to be very forgiving
Attached Images

DEREKG22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 05:21 AM   #19
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fairfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEREKG22 View Post
I do quite a bit off offshore fishing.....at a desperate time between one offshore boat being sold, and a newer one being built, myself and 2 buddies had the itch to go troll for wahoo at the flower gardens but the only vessel we had was a 21 ft center console with a single 150 hp yamaha we named "the dingy" ....We fueled the boat all the way up and took 55 gallons of extra fuel in gas cans in the front of the boat and headed out on our journey 100 miles offshore out of freeport late the night before. We arrived at the spot at about 430 am in time for a quick nap before sun up....we trolled the following day and caught several nice fish and made it back home by dark.....NEVER....EVER....EVER will I attempt a doofus move like that again.....my back still hurts thinking about that small vessel tackling those seas the entire ride in....taking a small boat far out to sea can be done, in the prefect conditions, but things can change out there in minutes. Mother nature has never been known to be very forgiving

A friend and I used to go 40-50 miles offshore in his 23ft Sea Fox with a single 150. Some nerve racking times dealing with swells and chop. We just didnít know any better. I am so thankful for the time his boat wouldnít start at the ramp. I had my young son with me, and it freaks me out to this day to think what might have happened if we got offshore and the boat wouldnít make it back in. He did get stranded once but was able to radio to USCG and get towed in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
txpitdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 06:55 AM   #20
Jackal
Four Point

I still want to know how did they get that shark into the boat. And then you know that boat didn't ride well at all on the way back in with that much added weight.
Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 07:28 AM   #21
DEREKG22
Six Point

Hunt In: Seeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
I still want to know how did they get that shark into the boat. And then you know that boat didn't ride well at all on the way back in with that much added weight.
I'm wondering the same...I don't know how 3 guys pull 1000 lb over the gunnels of a v-hull boat....and they had the equipment on board preparred to catch and land something that size?...im thinking they had to have caught it and radio in for someone to come get it so they could head in
DEREKG22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 07:45 AM   #22
waterdog
Pope & Young

thinking they tow it back to shore crane put it in the boat for pictures?
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 07:51 AM   #23
hchntr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

They used a come along to get it in the boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hchntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 08:48 AM   #24
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 08:59 AM   #25
Buck hunter332
Eight Point

Hunt In: The water

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
Good thing itís the gulf
Buck hunter332 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 09:08 AM   #26
Mr. Whiskers
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

I've taken my 23ft Ranger offshore with no problem. 75 gallon tank
Mr. Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 10:09 AM   #27
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

The first time I ever went off shore not on a party boat was in a 24' robollo and a single 200 merc. 4 of us left and went 40 miles out of sargent with tackle and a compass. We didnt even own a gps
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2021, 10:13 AM   #28
Silvey
Eight Point

Hunt In: Waelder TX, Crosby TX

Shark fishing buddy said he would drag them to a rig and ask the crane operator to pick it and set in his boat.
Silvey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top