Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-08-2021, 10:46 AM   #1
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.
Default A frustrating thing about getting older

I've always prided myself in being handy around the house. Maybe it is because I have been a desk-jockey work wise that I've felt the need to release my inner "blue-collar man" at home. (It also gives me an excuse to collect tools.) I've steadfastly refused to pay someone to make repairs that I can do - or figure out how to do - myself. Father Time has started tapping me on the shoulder lately to say "you're gonna have to call somebody". It started the last time I tried to get on the roof. The most recent episode was yesterday when I was going to replace the faucet fixture on a bathroom sink. Simple, right? I've done it many times. I found however that I no longer have the flexibility required to turn myself into the pretzel required to squeeze my upper body into a sink cabinet. Then while laying on my back looking up to remove the supply lines my positional vertigo kicked in, the world started spinning and I got stuck for a few minutes. When I finally extricated myself I had to go lie down to keep from throwing up. So now I am going to make some plumber's truck payment for about 30 minutes of work.

Last edited by jerp; 07-08-2021 at 10:52 AM.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 10:51 AM   #2
McClain
Ten Point

Yep, me too. I found the new "me" in that respect about 7 or 8 years ago. Its a way of life now that I've gotten used to it. Good luck!
McClain is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 10:52 AM   #3
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Getting older sucks. But one thing that's nice is having enough disposable income to be able to afford to hire somebody to do something I don't enjoy doing myself every now and then. When I was young, my body would allow me to do anything that needed to be done. And my bank account required me to do anything that needed to be done myself, whether I knew how and/or wanted to do it myself or not.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:03 AM   #4
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

Been there for a while. Calling the electrician today to replace some ceiling fans........
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:09 AM   #5
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

Last time I was under the sink when I bared down to put a little extra on a stuck nut I pushed my shoulder through the bottom of the cabinet!! The particle board did not hold my weight up well!! So I got to do plumbing and wood work all in one!!!
I guess I can blame this on old age too as I have gained weight!!!!
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:15 AM   #6
bugleboy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Young county

I hear ya! I used a chain saw too long after the first ice storm we got around December. Got Ďer done, but got tennis elbow for my trouble. I understand it usually takes a year for it to heal. Wishing now I had just paid some younger guy to come do it!!!
bugleboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:16 AM   #7
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Toughest part of life.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:17 AM   #8
Duckologist
Ten Point

This reminds me, I need to start another thread about goin blind
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:19 AM   #9
GARY
Administrator

Hunt In: Lavaca, Alberta and where ever Aironeout takes me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
I've always prided myself in being handy around the house. Maybe it is because I have been a desk-jockey work wise that I've felt the need to release my inner "blue-collar man" at home. (It also gives me an excuse to collect tools.) I've steadfastly refused to pay someone to make repairs that I can do - or figure out how to do - myself. Father Time has started tapping me on the shoulder lately to say "you're gonna have to call somebody". It started the last time I tried to get on the roof. The most recent episode was yesterday when I was going to replace the faucet fixture on a bathroom sink. Simple, right? I've done it many times. I found however that I no longer have the flexibility required to turn myself into the pretzel required to squeeze my upper body into a sink cabinet. Then while laying on my back looking up to remove the supply lines my positional vertigo kicked in, the world started spinning and I got stuck for a few minutes. When I finally extricated myself I had to go lie down to keep from throwing up. So now I am going to make some plumber's truck payment for about 30 minutes of work.

Moseley men are moving to the same space.

Pops - (a man than can fix everything/anything, from running and repairing every piece of equipment to mankind, multiple types of welding, electrical, plumbing...you know the kind - 79 with back, knee , shoulder and hand issues, to go with eye floaters.

Then me....

Healthy enough yet to do any of the above things...but not competent enough to do them at the speed or to the satisfaction of Pops

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GARY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:24 AM   #10
Walker
Ten Point

All this is why I hatched a boy 30 years ago. He does a lot of stuff I can't do anymore. Gotta plan ahead.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:27 AM   #11
Philip-TX
Ten Point

... and then there are the readers to tell if it is a flat-head or phillips
(or a nail )
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #12
Bassdeer
Ten Point

Just don't use that bathroom sink.

Should start a green screen help thread, I would rather pay someone on here then call and get ripped off.

Last edited by Bassdeer; 07-08-2021 at 11:31 AM.
Bassdeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:36 AM   #13
Gerald G
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mississippi, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip-TX View Post
... and then there are the readers to tell if it is a flat-head or phillips
(or a nail )
I can relate to this!
Gerald G is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:50 AM   #14
jerp
Pope & Young

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
All this is why I hatched a boy 30 years ago. He does a lot of stuff I can't do anymore. Gotta plan ahead.
I have two of them but I think they saw it coming and moved away. I guess when I write checks now Iíll just be spending the money Iíve saved over the decades
Old 07-08-2021, 12:14 PM   #15
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

I used to have that kind of pride! Anymore, if I can't fix it pretty easy I just call somebody. I work pretty hard in a labor-intensive job that I enjoy; when I get home at the end of the day, I'm done for the day!
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 12:17 PM   #16
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

I can truly emphasize with you John.
Iím dealing with a water leak in my barn. Had to break cement, dig out the dirt and gravel by hand, the length of my arm. Took most of the day. Tried rebuilding the faucet but it still seeps so Iíll have to replace the whole thing. That was two days ago. Iím still hurting so bad that I havenít changed out the faucet yet.
Getting old ainít for wimps.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 12:18 PM   #17
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Take a dramamine and then try. It helps.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 12:32 PM   #18
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

My 30 minute fixes always turn into days now. It has gotten real easy to make a phone call now. Of course finding someone to call you back, let alone come out and fix the problem is a chore in itself these days. The sad part is.....it isnt going to get better with time!
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 12:33 PM   #19
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

Quote:
This is me exactly. When I lay on my back the vertigo kicks in. Donít forget thereís that 2Ē height difference in the cabinet and floor. That works wonders on my back that I broke several years ago. I wouldnít call a plumber though. Might get it done cheaper through a handyman service. Just had to do that a month or so back.
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 12:39 PM   #20
dphillips62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mission Valley, Victoria, and anywhere else I can sling an arrow

Bought a new kitchen faucet about 6 months ago still haven't got the nerve to install it. I feel the pain just thinking about doing it
dphillips62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 01:15 PM   #21
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
This reminds me, I need to start another thread about goin blind
What caused you to go blind

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 01:23 PM   #22
7sdad
Ten Point

Get back on your bike and refuse to let the old man in !
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 01:24 PM   #23
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I opened the shed door the other day to a windstorm that had blown up, and it yanked the knob out of my hand. So I reach out to catch it, so it doesn't whip around and smack the side of the shed in the exact same dent where it's hit 437 times. I caught it, and it whipped me out of the shed like a sling shot and apparrently pulled/strained/sprained EVERYTHING in that hand. I mean it hurts to fish!

And I'm not nearly as old as most of y'all!
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 01:26 PM   #24
7sdad
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
And I'm not nearly as old as most of y'all!
I resemble that remark.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 01:28 PM   #25
Bisch
Pope & Young

Iím not there yet, but I can feel it coming!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 02:09 PM   #26
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Nope it’s not. The PT told me Wednesday that “Bruce,you are old now”. Suxx
Old 07-08-2021, 02:30 PM   #27
brutus
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills Co. Priddy Tx. area

Yep my problem is I dont remember all the pain, the torn shoulder rotator cuff, cramps in hands, and fingers until after the job. I hate not being able to do what needs to be done. I put in a new cold air intercooler tubing in my truck Saturday. After standing on a ladder leaning over to get the bottom hose on and clamped tight I could not stand up straight for two days.
brutus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 02:48 PM   #28
BowhunterB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country and Searching

When the lock downs started last year I started doing some home workouts, since I couldn't go to the gym. Had a grand idea to carry some concrete blocks around for grip / forearm exercises. A few months later I have developed flexor tendinosis on both middle fingers. Was hoping it might get better but from what I have read it doesn't look like it. Makes trying to do just about anything I have to use my hands for a Bi@tch. Getting older does suck and ain't for the faint of heart.
BowhunterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 02:51 PM   #29
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
Iím not there yet, but I can feel it coming!!!!

Bisch

I didnít really feel it coming seems like. One day I could, the next day it was a lot more difficult. Iíve never been much of a handy man around the house, that ainít my thing. The outside chores were always what I took care of, now itís hard to even do them. Then, about a month agao I had a dang heart attack on top of the post covid crap Iím dealing with. Iím not even half the man I used to be and it hurts my feelings like nothing else ever could !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 02:55 PM   #30
BlackoutRam2500
Eight Point

Right now I have a stack of railroad ties, a playset, and a basketball goal sitting at the house waiting for me to go on days off.

And to add to that the DEF sensor and hose just took a crap in my truck

My back and hands start to hurt everytime I so much as think about it.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
BlackoutRam2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 03:03 PM   #31
alec73065
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cleveland & Lampasas

WOW, I thought it was just me! I have been struggling with this for a year now, I have hired out more things in the last year than I have in my entire life! When I hit 55 last year I started noticing it was much harder to do a lot of projects that I have always done on my own. I used to be able to read 64'th's on my 6" scale now I am lucky to read 1/16'th's.
alec73065 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 03:09 PM   #32
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Never thought I’d be sleeping with a man. Going to bed and waking up with Arthur Itis. Really blows.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #33
Ferg
Eight Point

I feel your pain
Ferg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 03:14 PM   #34
∆theling
Pope & Young

Quote:
Im 6 ft 4 and about 250 from lifting weights. I couldnít crawl under my sink and get much done in my 30s. The roof? I have only owned 2 story homes and my CBA stopped me from getting up that high without fall arrest in my 30s also.
∆theling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 03:25 PM   #35
hoythunter02
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady, Texas

Dang Jerp....good on you for the dedicated attempt man. I'm 43 and noticed my vision is just slightly less sharper. My dad said that's how it all starts. Hang in there buddy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
hoythunter02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 03:32 PM   #36
Ag 89
Six Point

Hunt In: Segovia, Menard

Getting older is not for sissys. The golden years: all your gold goes to doctors (and plumbers)
Ag 89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 03:35 PM   #37
yaqui
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co.

Quote:
I've always prided myself in being handy around the house. Maybe it is because I have been a desk-jockey work wise that I've felt the need to release my inner "blue-collar man" at home.
The worst part is that Jerp is only 33 years old...
yaqui is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 03:42 PM   #38
jerp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaqui View Post
The worst part is that Jerp is only 33 years old...
There are still a few things I can still do like a 33 year old, but that list is pretty short
Old 07-08-2021, 04:10 PM   #39
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

Soon to be 64 y.o. aqui. I relish the opportunity to spread some wealth around and stimulate the economy. There are a lot of things i can do, that i choose not to. My dad, 95 in December, is the opposite. He still insists on trying to do anything and everything he can by himself. By his 94.5 y.o., weighs about half of what he used to, can't walk without stumbling around like a wino because he refuses to use a cane or walker because of vanity, dang self. To the point that last summer he nearly stroked out in the heat on the yard tractor trying to mow his 2.5 acres. Most recently he decided to mow again, against my wishes and instructions (he got out when no one was around), wrecked the tractor while mowing a tree limb he didn't see. I / we love him, but sometimes you've got to make concessions to age and diminished ability. I've got a brother that is staying with him that has begun to hire a yard service. None of us want to spend time mowing 2.5 acres when we can get it done of a nominal price and spare our weekends.

So, yes Father Time comes calling for all of us. But i'm going to do what i can to enjoy life and not be burdened by all the things that i can't do any longer. As long as i'm limber enough to crawl in and out of a tripod and draw a bow, i'll be good. And agreed to a lot of what has been said above, getting old is not for sissies. Stay in your lane and enjoy the ride. Good times.
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 04:25 PM   #40
jer_james
Pope & Young

I remember when I gave in. I just realized a person doing those types of jobs for a living had a much better chance at doing a good job than I would.

I did some light remodel/demo work after HS for a Summer and it was just not something I ever enjoyed.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 05:36 PM   #41
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag 89 View Post
Getting older is not for sissys. The golden years: all your gold goes to doctors (and plumbers)
And the shame of it all isÖÖall plumbers have to know is that payday is Friday, quitting time is five oíclock, crap runs downhill, and never chew your fingernailsÖÖ
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 06:08 PM   #42
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I can relate......
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 06:12 PM   #43
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

I feel your pain, installed a new faucet in our bathroom and took 3 days to recover.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 06:17 PM   #44
Philip-TX
Ten Point

I find myself using wheels, levers, pulleys, etc. ( and 20 & 30yo sons) more now

"Smarter not harder"
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 06:29 PM   #45
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

With my size, width, diameter and weight, I don't fit in places like, under sinks very well, never have. I get elected for those jobs, it's very difficult to work in small places. Then with my back laid across the cabinet opening, it makes my back feel wonderful. Then not being able to move my arms around much, really sets me off, after a while. I really hate working in confined spaces. It's a lot like working under the dash of a car. I have figured out pull the front seat or seats out, then I have some 1/2" plywood cut to fit where the front seats would go. Mustangs have a crossmember welded to the floor pan, that goes across under the front edge of of the front seats. Then there are two studs sticking up out of that crossmember on either side.
If I have to work under a dash very long, I will pull both front seats and the console, so I have plenty of room to move around and not break anything. My wife likes to point out how I don't work well with plastic, or around plastic. So I have to remove anything that might get in my way, when I am moving around.

I had to crawl under our sink a while back to change out the filters on our water filter. I dreaded that for quite a while. I remember how much fun it was getting under the sink a couple years ago, to install that water filter.

My wife would fit under the sink so much easier and she does not break fragile things like plastic pieces like I have a tendency to do. I keep thinking about suggesting she get under the sink and fix the plumbing problems, instead of me. I know how that will go.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 06:29 PM   #46
Dakota7493
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County

I dug out a concreted cedar fence post awhile back and I was hurting for 3 days after. I paid my daughters boyfriend to do the others. I sat in a lawn chair in the shade and watched.
Dakota7493 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 07:46 PM   #47
Buckshot4900
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas/Mississippi

And here Iíve been thinking all these years that I was communicating with bunch of rough and tough outdoorsmen.
Oh sweet baby Jesus!!!

Buckshot4900 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 10:18 PM   #48
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

[QUOTE=Buckshot4900;15693711]And here Iíve been thinking all these years that I was communicating with bunch of rough and tough outdoorsmen.
Oh sweet baby Jesus!!!

WE talk a good talk.
At my age, gravity works a lot better than it used to. I have no problem getting down. It's the getting back up that's the problem.
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:44 PM   #49
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default A frustrating thing about getting older

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugleboy View Post
I hear ya! I used a chain saw too long after the first ice storm we got around December. Got Ďer done, but got tennis elbow for my trouble. I understand it usually takes a year for it to heal. Wishing now I had just paid some younger guy to come do it!!!

Just turned 40 and a week before my 40th I messed up my back in Falfurias Texas and had to go to Kingsville to an urgent care. I was cutting a mesquite tree and one of the thorns poked me right in the butt and I lunged forward and I dropped the running chainsaw between my feet and couldnít bend down to turn it off. I managed to make it about 20 feet into the shop and had to wait until my buddy found me when he came back from town.

My buddy had to put me in a wheelchair to get me from the truck to the lobby. I pay for everything to be done at my house but spend hours cutting brush and working at the ranch.

With the amount of illegals passing through our place I could employee a few of them to get what I need done for $100, one phone call and water.

Last edited by Black Ice; 07-08-2021 at 11:51 PM.
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:51 PM   #50
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

If you think you have it bad, when I take my bra off at the end of the day, my knees get all bunch up and wrinkled!

Age + gravity, an ugly combination.
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top