Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-07-2021, 02:50 PM   #1
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can
Default Direct Tv Loyalty?

Anybody still get loyalty discounts. Was just notified Dict Tv is going up again.

Maybe be time to disconnect....again.
hpdrifter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2021, 03:05 PM   #2
Jbailey_89
Spike

We bit the bullet a couple years ago and parents have too... It's crazy what you get for the money. YouTube TV is the way to go! Still get live TV, you can record what you want, and not miss anything important.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Jbailey_89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2021, 03:11 PM   #3
PROD49
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction Texas

I bit the bullet a year ago and left DT after 25 years. Now I use Youtube TV. I'm saving a boatload of $$ as I was able to get rid of satellite at ranch as well and just log into Youtube TV as well.
PROD49 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2021, 03:15 PM   #4
tfrye
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jack County

3rd vote for Youtube TV, long as you have good wifi you will have zero issues streaming. Can watch on any smart tv, tablet, phone. Hands down the way to go!
tfrye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2021, 03:19 PM   #5
BlessedVeteran0305
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dont have a lease

YouTube TV is where it's at. You can watch it anywhere and have Disney plus, hulu, Netflix, and discovery plus and still not spend what you did on satellite. We got rid of dish network 2 yrs ago and haven't looked back.
BlessedVeteran0305 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2021, 03:22 PM   #6
Twist
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

We’ve been running Fubo since cancelling DirecTV over a year ago, only because the wife wants to watch Astros games which I personally really couldn’t care less about. Prices seem comparable between Fubo and YTV and Fubo seems to work well.

She also has a NetFlix account and Amazon Prime as well for watching a series. When movies come out that we’ll occasionally watch together. I don’t know what all that crap costs together, probably as much as DirecTV does but there definitely seems to be about the same options between the combined services and we don’t have outages due to weather.
Twist is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2021, 03:50 PM   #7
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Ready to cut them loose. Just haven’t done it yet.
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2021, 04:05 PM   #8
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Interesting...will look into the youtube TV
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2021, 04:10 PM   #9
Codypatt1
Ten Point

Hunt In: SE OK

Dropped them last year after a 15 yr relationship, now they call daily trying to lower price by 50%. Screw off DTV. Don’t miss it one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Codypatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2021, 04:13 PM   #10
kyleseipp
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano/Mason, KS, IA, MO

YT TV all the way.
kyleseipp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2021, 04:22 PM   #11
Bdub25
Eight Point

Hunt In: Webb County

I called last week, and they agreed to knock off $60/month for 12 months. The guy said to call back after 12 months and i can re up.
Bdub25 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2021, 06:37 PM   #12
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub25 View Post
I called last week, and they agreed to knock off $60/month for 12 months. The guy said to call back after 12 months and i can re up.
Bahahaha….hook set. Just keep an eye on that bill because it’s amazing how it slowly creeps up without you ever even noticing it. Those discounts magically disappear. But not to worry….when you finally do notice and get piZZED enough to call them you can spend an hour or 2 on the phone, get transferred 3 times, hung up on twice and finally get those discounts back. Just remember to repeat every 6-8 months.

AT&T can kiss my ever-loving A**!!!
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2021, 06:47 PM   #13
bowhunt3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Medina County, Bandera County

How do y'all get local news without Direct TV
bowhunt3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2021, 08:19 PM   #14
Hunteraudit
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunt3 View Post
X2. We are about to move, don’t want to bring my cable tv with me. Would be nice to be able to record the local channels too. This available on youtubetv too? CBS, abc, nbc
Hunteraudit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2021, 08:28 PM   #15
kyleseipp
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano/Mason, KS, IA, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunt3 View Post
YouTube TV bases your subscription on your zip code. That way all the local subscriptions available in that zip code for your NBC ABC CBS etc are still available for live TV. The bonus there is that when you travel you can still stream the live TV online with your YouTube TV subscription and still catch your local shows live.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
kyleseipp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2021, 09:00 PM   #16
hpdrifter
Ten Point

I can't do youtube, netflix, hulu or whatever internet. My only access is Hughes Net. I do have AT&T thru AT&T Hotspot, but they have been cancel high volume users.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:13 PM   #17
bowhunt3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Medina County, Bandera County

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleseipp View Post
YouTube TV bases your subscription on your zip code. That way all the local subscriptions available in that zip code for your NBC ABC CBS etc are still available for live TV. The bonus there is that when you travel you can still stream the live TV online with your YouTube TV subscription and still catch your local shows live.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info
bowhunt3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2021, 09:18 PM   #18
bowtecmike
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent County, SA St Park

how much is YouTube per month?
bowtecmike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2021, 10:19 PM   #19
Electrican
Pope & Young

Hunt In: For a place

I gave them loyalty about 3 months ago when I cut there cord and went streaming. Haven't missed it a bit!!
Electrican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2021, 10:36 PM   #20
tonyguitarguy
Four Point

Youtube TV here.
tonyguitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2021, 10:48 PM   #21
Rsp
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hebbronville

What options are there if I can’t get internet? Only internet I can get is satellite and it’s more expensive than dt.
Rsp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 02:21 AM   #22
Zmaxhunter
Four Point

Same as others.
Ditched Dtv a couple months ago.
Bill was approaching $160.. without premium channels.
Had a difficult time cancelling.. we have been out of our contract for yrs.. having switched from Dish. They said we couldnt cancel until our billing cycle ended.. smh
Talked to someone else.. Dtv cancelled.

Asked them to send a box.. instructions for what they wanted back.
House phone rings, its Dtv.. wants to offer us a 40% discount.
Im done, send the boxes.
Day 3, phone rings, girl.. with Dtv.. wants to know if we would work with them.. give them a chance.. me. Mail the boxes!
Now have Youtube tv, hulu, roku smart tvs, oan, numerous aps, get our locals.. no complaints, can watch untold numbers of movies.. ie "The Professionals" etc..
Zmaxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 05:38 AM   #23
BlackoutRam2500
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post
I can't do youtube, netflix, hulu or whatever internet. My only access is Hughes Net. I do have AT&T thru AT&T Hotspot, but they have been cancel high volume users.
Check around. Back when we were building our house in 2018 and living out of a travel trailer my wife found a wifi broker called unlimitedtogo. They re-sell hotspots branded for At&t and Verizon networks. It was unlimited high speed wifi for $100 per month. No throttling at all. She bought us a nighthawk router through them and away we went.

Also cut the cord on direct tv and couldn't be happier with Youtube TV. As others have said once you switch you won't go back. I still can't believe we used to give them $180+ a month and think that was a "good deal".

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
BlackoutRam2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 07:48 AM   #24
RLB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comal County

Cut the cord 4 years ago, haven’t missed it or anything I’ve ever wanted to watch.
RLB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 07:55 AM   #25
hopedale
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WMAs

Dropped them like a bad habit a couple of years ago. I did like the service but after the contract period was up they were just to dang expensive. And was unwilling to discount the price.

If it were just me in the house, I'd cut the cord.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 08:10 AM   #26
PROD49
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction Texas

Quote:
Here is the key for ATT hotspot. Get the phone one vs just internet. This is what I use at ranch so I don't have to deal with being throttled or canceled. We spent last summer there and we would be doing video conferencing with my wifes job, mine and kids streaming TV.
PROD49 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 08:14 AM   #27
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutRam2500 View Post
Check around. Back when we were building our house in 2018 and living out of a travel trailer my wife found a wifi broker called unlimitedtogo. They re-sell hotspots branded for At&t and Verizon networks. It was unlimited high speed wifi for $100 per month. No throttling at all. She bought us a nighthawk router through them and away we went.

Also cut the cord on direct tv and couldn't be happier with Youtube TV. As others have said once you switch you won't go back. I still can't believe we used to give them $180+ a month and think that was a "good deal".

I have a "mobile hotspot' already with theoretical unlimited. Thru ATT, but as stated before they are cancelling high bandwidth users. Watching movies on internet is high bandwidth!
If I do that and they cancel, I'm left with Hughes net and that would really blow.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:17 AM   #28
BlackoutRam2500
Eight Point

Quote:
I have a "mobile hotspot' already with theoretical unlimited. Thru ATT, but as stated before they are cancelling high bandwidth users. Watching movies on internet is high bandwidth!

If I do that and they cancel, I'm left with Hughes net and that would really blow.
I also have AT&T.... still do. You are correct AT&T will throttle you and cancel you.

Like I said we went through Unlimitedtogo. Google them.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:22 AM   #29
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fairfield

We do Hulu Live but haven’t compared to YT TV. I’m curious now and will check it out. To heck with DirectTV. Will never go back to that.
txpitdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 08:30 AM   #30
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Quote:
I also have AT&T.... still do. You are correct AT&T will throttle you and cancel you.

Like I said we went through Unlimitedtogo. Google them.

probably not a lot different than "ATT Hotspot"(that is the third party company that I have ATT thru) It's ATT that will cancel, not ATT Hotspot and they do offer other carriers.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:36 AM   #31
BlackoutRam2500
Eight Point

Quote:
probably not a lot different than "ATT Hotspot"(that is the third party company that I have ATT thru) It's ATT that will cancel, not ATT Hotspot and they do offer other carriers.
Ok I gotcha.

All I know is we used the unlimitedtogo exclusively for over year while doing our build. I have a family of 6 so we had 4 kids watching netflix movies nonstop on their ipads, 2 Playstations hooked up and a xbox in that travel trailer. My wife and I also both had laptops hooked to it also so I could do some work and she did stuff for the house build. We never got a notice or experienced a throttle.

One more thing is this account was totally separate and not tied in any way to our AT&T account.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:01 AM   #32
W E H
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lavaca County USA

Quote:
Ok I gotcha.

All I know is we used the unlimitedtogo exclusively for over year while doing our build. I have a family of 6 so we had 4 kids watching netflix movies nonstop on their ipads, 2 Playstations hooked up and a xbox in that travel trailer. My wife and I also both had laptops hooked to it also so I could do some work and she did stuff for the house build. We never got a notice or experienced a throttle.

One more thing is this account was totally separate and not tied in any way to our AT&T account.

How can that work so well and my cell phone and iPad both with att “unlimited” data plans look like they’re drawing in the videos with an etch a sketch?

Are there dead or bad signal areas like with regular att coverage?

I put in a 60’ telephone pole so Gvec.net could mount a line of site antenna on top. It’s definitely faster than att cell and uverse but it still struggles.

Your scenario sounds ideal. Especially if I could take it with me.
W E H is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 09:07 AM   #33
EastTexasMan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas - Pop Up blind & Old Mexico

I called them a few months back and said I was looking at streaming is there any discounts? They reduced my bill by $60 for a year, this is the second time they've done it after calling.
EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 09:09 AM   #34
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by W E H View Post
How can that work so well and my cell phone and iPad both with att “unlimited” data plans look like they’re drawing in the videos with an etch a sketch?

I put in a 60’ telephone pole so Gvec.net could mount a line of site antenna on top. It’s definitely faster than att cell and uverse but it still struggles.

I can only answer one question: yes there are dead or bad spots and it changes with time.

Sometimes I get 18 mbps and sometimes I get less that 5 with my ATT hotspot and I've got an external antenna for that. My cell phone hardly works in my house.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:11 AM   #35
BlackoutRam2500
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by W E H View Post

Definitely depends on where you take it. Unlimitedtogo had 3 carriers at the time we got it. AT&T, Verizon, and I think T-mobile. You had to pick one at the beginning and get the hotspot device they sold to go along with it.

Very rarely did we get to a spot that didn't have great service but we weren't exactly "off the grid" pulling a 31 foot travel trailer around. The most remote spot we took it was up to Walden Colorado.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:12 AM   #36
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County

Been kicking around the idea of YTTV for a while now. Did a quick search for monthly cost and first site said that Youtube TV is included for FREE for Prime members! Is this true? If so, I've had access all along.

EDIT: I dont think this is true...

"Yes, Youtube T.V. is free with Amazon prime and also can store videos in the library with new movies, classic favorites, last night’s T.V. shows, and more available to stream instantly. More than 150,000 movies and T.V. episodes, with no extra cost, comprised thousands for Amazon Prime members."

https://leedaily.com/2021/03/17/youtube-tv/

Last edited by BlackHogDown; 07-08-2021 at 09:25 AM.
BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 09:20 AM   #37
huntmaster
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Archer County

I have to have the cowboy channel n my wife wants Hallmark, are those available on YTTV? what about the hunting channels?
huntmaster is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 10:21 AM   #38
W E H
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lavaca County USA

Quote:
Definitely depends on where you take it. Unlimitedtogo had 3 carriers at the time we got it. AT&T, Verizon, and I think T-mobile. You had to pick one at the beginning and get the hotspot device they sold to go along with it.

Very rarely did we get to a spot that didn't have great service but we weren't exactly "off the grid" pulling a 31 foot travel trailer around. The most remote spot we took it was up to Walden Colorado.

I doubt I would ever been "off the grid". maybe some large properties down south or out west. but if i am staying over night, there is going to be AC, hot water and comfortable bed. my body has decided it no longer does "roughing it". it would just be nice to have to take to POC or Rockport or on a drive somewhere. as much as i want to disconnect from the world; there's too much business to be done if i have that kind of access.

when i looked it up there were three plans, they vary by which carrier you choose. and range from $99-$179. do you happen to know which carrier yall went with? what area were yall in?

you have me very interested in trying this. it says they are all month to month, no contracts. and just have to buy the correct router hotspot.

did you run your phone through it too, so did it help with that signal?

i owe you a few beers or at least unlimitedtogo does, you are the best customer service / sales rep they got working for them!
W E H is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 10:24 AM   #39
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Quote:

Take it just North of Hwy 31 between Powell and Kerens Tx. It's almost off the grid.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:31 AM   #40
retrieverman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

My Direct TV bill slowly crept up to $96/month, and we very rarely watch TV. I called to cancel, and the lady offered to drop my bill back to $50/month (which is what it was 4 years ago when we left Suddenlink and got D TV). I’m not under any kind of contract and still will probably cancel it, but I figured I’d give it a month or two.

I have Viasat internet which isn’t great, so I’m not sure I can use the streaming options y’all have mentioned.
retrieverman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 10:48 AM   #41
BlackoutRam2500
Eight Point

W E H,

Glad to have the opportunity to be a blessing.

We chose the AT&T plan. I looked up an old email invoice and at that time it was called their blue plan. $99 per month and I paid $199 for the hotspot device.

I chose AT&T because I have had my phones through them for the past 16 years and have been pretty happy with their coverage. I never connected my cell phone up to it because I have the grandfathered unlimited and they don't throttle me.

As far as the areas go, I brought my wife and kids up to Walden, CO to be close to me while I was working up there. When heading back to Texas we took the scenic route through New Mexico and stayed at several rv parks. Also stayed at the KOA near lake Livingston for a month and used the hotspot the whole time.

I understand what the OP is talking about though. I work in West Texas now and there are areas my phone doesn't work at all. I imagine in those places Verizon would be better or so I have heard from coworkers who have Verizon. Lol

Old 07-08-2021, 10:56 AM   #42
larryz71
Spike

Another vote for YouTube TV. I like to turn it on right before college football season and then cancel after the season. My wife and I do not watch much TV so no sense in paying for cable all year. I may turn it on for a month here or there for things like the olympics, elections, etc. but never pay for the service more than 6 months a year.

I really like no contracts and the ability to turn it on or off whenever I please. Picture quality has been great and buffering issues have been extremely rare.
larryz71 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 11:19 AM   #43
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

All this money going to youtube is going right into Google's coffers...I know it's convenient but I just can't stomach it.
Etxbuckman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 12:20 PM   #44
jaspermac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Doole

We have dish. I called to cancel and they lady asked why and I said all we watch is local and I’m getting an antenna. So they gave us local plus a bunch extra plus dvr for $25 a month so we stayed
jaspermac is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2021, 12:42 PM   #45
savage1134
Eight Point

Hunt In: MO,TX, GA

Dropped Direct TV as well several years ago.

Have Sling, get all the local channels along with all the channels I had with Direct.
Also, have Netflix and Amazon Prime. Much better luck with Sling since we upgraded our television.
savage1134 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2021, 03:27 PM   #46
oktx
Pope & Young

I just cut the cord, It's going to save me $100 a month. That will pay for my deer lease!
Old 09-07-2021, 04:45 PM   #47
Casey
Administrator

Hunt In: Blanco

Not Direct TV related, but I just cut the cable. I'm going to Youtube TV. I'm going to save 70/month. I did up my internet speed from 250-500mbps so that kept $20 off the table I could have saved.

I feel so much better. The comments here about Youtube TV helped me do it.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2021, 04:48 PM   #48
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Not Direct TV related, but I just cut the cable. I'm going to Youtube TV. I'm going to save 70/month. I did up my internet speed from 250-500mbps so that kept $20 off the table I could have saved.

I feel so much better. The comments here about Youtube TV helped me do it.
Also went with Youtube. We also have Prime, Netflix and Hulu. Still saving a bunch.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:44 PM   #49
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Name dropping here.
Since my station, finally reached an agreement with Roku. I cut the cable..
Now, I can see my own station. MainStreetTV
All family, 100%. how cool is that ?
Saved me $100 a month.
I have AT&T internet, and land line. So far, it's been fine. I haven't noticed
any throttle back. Trust me, I'd know. Cause, my Station's hard drive,
would be sending me alerts.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2021, 06:23 PM   #50
Dave W
Ten Point

Hunt In: Crystal City

So you dump Cable or Uverse, get an internet only provider, and then sign up You tube TV, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Disney etc?

Then while at the lease you use your phone hotspot to sign in with You Tube TV , Amazon, to get your TV? get the football games?

Is that it?
Who do you like for internet service?
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top