Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-04-2021, 10:53 AM   #1
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default Best meals ever.

The chicken sandwich thread got me to thinkin about foods I haven't had for a long time. My grandmas fried chicken and homemade gravy over some fried potatoes is one of those meals. I don't know what she did that made it taste so amazing but I haven't found any that can even compare. Especially in a restaurant. Colonel Sanders ain't got nothin on my grandma when it comes to fryin chicken I can assure you. In my mind nobody does.

Ham and beans is another. It'd take clear up until supper time to prepare it alongside corn bread so she'd start early then make something completely different for dinner so that by supper time it'd be ready to eat. I wish I'd have paid more attention to how she did things so that I could do it. I did somewhat but even if I did it I know it wouldn't be the same. She never used measuring cups or teaspoons when cooking. Just watching you'd think she was just making the recipe up as she went. Maybe she was so I know it can never be duplicated. Might be close but she's gone now so I know I'll never have anything like it again.

Funny how I hear people talk about the foods they think are disgusting. Growing up I didn't know not liking food was much of an option. When I was little I remember telling grandma I was hungry. She opened up a can of spinach and dumped it in a bowl,put vinegar and salt on it and that was my snack until it was time to eat. I ate it and still love it till this day. Sometimes she'd batter and fry squash or okra for a snack to tide me over. I always had to try it I couldn't just say I didn't like it. If I did she'd say "You ain't very **** hungry then are ya?"

I miss that woman. She was the best.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 11:01 AM   #2
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

My mother can cook like that. She cooked certain things so many times she doesn’t even measure or follow a recipe. Her smothered Quail with biscuits was over the top. Never had it like she made it anywhere else. Great memories!
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 11:03 AM   #3
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tyler County

My wife's Chicken and Dumplins. She rolls her dumplins out using my great-grandmother's rolling pin and makes it all using the same recipe that my family has been using for generations. I grew up eating my grandma's Chicken and Dumplins and they were good, but my wife's are better.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 11:05 AM   #4
Colton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

My dads pork ribs are ridiculous. I’m sure they could be duplicated, but they always seem better when he makes them
Colton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #5
okrattler
Pope & Young

Seems like she sure used bacon grease a lot when cooking certain things. A lot of the things I grew up eatin probably wasn't very healthy. Heck it was fried 98% of the time. But somehow I still think it was probably better for me than what I eat now days. I don't get to eat homemade meals but every now and then. I can down some food so I make it count when I do.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:35 AM   #6
3rdCoastHunter
Four Point

Yep it was grandmothers chicken fried steak cream potatoes with white gravy black eyed peas and the only place I’ve ever had fried cornbread - crunchy and delicious
3rdCoastHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 11:43 AM   #7
Drop Tine
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere and anything legal

My mom’s gumbo. I have stopped even trying a gumbo at any restaurant years ago. I can make a good gumbo, but her’s always seems to have a little something more.
Drop Tine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 12:05 PM   #8
Statton48
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas and Comanche

My wife’s shrimp …touffťe..... one day she decided to make it for my birthday and immediately was one of my favorites. I’ve eaten Cajun food all over the south and hers is by far the best I’ve had
Statton48 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 12:15 PM   #9
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin Co

Pancho's is hard to beat.
.243 WSSM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 12:32 PM   #10
Tbuddyandroby
Ten Point

Hunt In: Votaw

I have 3-
My mom's meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and hot water cornbread.
My grandma's turnip greens with sliced tomatoes from granddaddy's garden, and a pone of buttermilk cornbread from her iron skillet. Her homemade buttermilk biscuits and muscadine or mayhaw jelly was the best for breakfast...
My granddaddy's fried fish (any kind- buffalo ribs was a Sunday staple along with catfish and/or sac-a-lait). He'd fire up his iron pot with propane outside and added sliced onions to the grease as he cooked. He'd say, "Onions help keep the grease from burning." Plus, they were good to snack on while waiting on the fish...
Tbuddyandroby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 12:59 PM   #11
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

My wife makes the greatest fried eggplant, thinly sliced and fried in the cast iron with angel hair pasta…. It’s legit
3DW5 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 01:13 PM   #12
dbaio1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bienville and Jackson Parish Louisiana - Union Community area

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
My wife's Chicken and Dumplins. She rolls her dumplins out using my great-grandmother's rolling pin and makes it all using the same recipe that my family has been using for generations. I grew up eating my grandma's Chicken and Dumplins and they were good, but my wife's are better.
Deja Vu right here. We were just talking about mine making my grandmother's.recipe for chicken and dumplings for tomorrows lunch. Just took the chicken out and the rolling pin is on deck. Herr's are very good but I can't say better LOL
dbaio1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 01:19 PM   #13
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Mom or grandma's fried chicken. Mashed potatoes and gravy made from the grease. Corn fresh from the cobb fried in a skillet. Hot rolls.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 01:45 PM   #14
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Big Moma's chicken and dumplins.
I think, I can smell'em, even now.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 01:49 PM   #15
louieagarcia
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Planet Earth

As a kid we would take road trips to abuelitas house in SW Mexico....never forget when we arrived she would have a table full of authentic goodies, chicken mole, carne guisada, Chile molcajete, handmade tortillas, guac, ect. Everything was fresh as she would make frequent trips to the mercado for fresh groceries and produce. Iíll never forget the wonderful smells from the kitchen and amazing meals had at grandmas house.
louieagarcia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 01:57 PM   #16
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Rolling out dough makes the best dumplings.
I usually make chicken and dumplings a day ahead, because they are always better the second day.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 02:11 PM   #17
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
Seems like she sure used bacon grease a lot when cooking certain things. A lot of the things I grew up eatin probably wasn't very healthy. Heck it was fried 98% of the time. But somehow I still think it was probably better for me than what I eat now days. I don't get to eat homemade meals but every now and then. I can down some food so I make it count when I do.
I have my great grandmas jar of bacon grease. Never been cleaned out. I always add to it when I make bacon. While the rest of the family were fighting over her estate, I loaded the jar of bacon grease, cast iron and a couple pictures. To this day I use all of them and smile each time thinking of her.
Big Lee is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 02:14 PM   #18
BayouCat
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gulf Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieagarcia View Post
As a kid we would take road trips to abuelitas house in SW Mexico....never forget when we arrived she would have a table full of authentic goodies, chicken mole, carne guisada, Chile molcajete, handmade tortillas, guac, ect. Everything was fresh as she would make frequent trips to the mercado for fresh groceries and produce. Iíll never forget the wonderful smells from the kitchen and amazing meals had at grandmas house.
That sounds so good right now
BayouCat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 02:43 PM   #19
Acameron52
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

My mommas pinto beans that would take a full 24 hours to make and her 100% homemade German chocolate cake!!

Man I can taste and smell them from here.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 02:58 PM   #20
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Butter beans with smoked ox tail and salt pork with a side of skillet corn bread.
Bayouboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 04:00 PM   #21
3DW5
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
Butter beans with smoked ox tail and salt pork with a side of skillet corn bread.
Sounds amazing!!!!
Old 07-04-2021, 04:02 PM   #22
TA_Fab
Eight Point

Both my grandmas could throw down in the kitchen. On my dads side (from Alabama) the chicken dumplings were some of my favorite. On my moms side (from Sicily) scotcha, cannolis, lasagna with home made noodles.
TA_Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 04:28 PM   #23
okrattler
Pope & Young

Dadgum it fellas reading all this is makin my mouth water. I feel like I'm starved half to death.
Old 07-04-2021, 05:05 PM   #24
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

My grandma's fried chicken and apple pie were second to none. She was the stereotypical German woman and made a lot a great food but those were my favorites. Man I miss her.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 05:37 PM   #25
TD2000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Star TX

Mashed potato encrusted walleye

Finished in an oven that browns the top of taters

Never hurts to put some butter and herbs inside on fish
TD2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 05:47 PM   #26
StrayDog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

My great grandma’s fried chicken - fresh from the chicken coop & cooked in the “modern” propane stove accompanied with a pie, cooked on the wood fired stove/oven. That poor Oklahoma farmers wife could cook - not as fancy but ever bit 5 star chef quality.

My grandma’s German chocolate cake - I really don’t like chocolate nor am I a “sweets” guy - but I’d pay $1K today for her cake and not share a single piece.
StrayDog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 06:12 PM   #27
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall and Ft. Bend County

My grandmother's fried shrimp. All her food was fantastic, but the shrimp were out of this world, such a strong butter taste. I have tried to replicate, get close, but just not the same. Now that I sit here and think about it, she used Crisco to fry them in, I have been using peanut oil. Will need to try Crisco next time. Miss her and my grandfather dearly, wish I would have asked more questions...
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 06:37 PM   #28
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

Bring your arse to my house when I'm frying pork chops with white rice and scratch gravy. Bring your grandmother too, bet I can make her blush!
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 06:50 PM   #29
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

In my Younger years, I'm talking 50 years ago, we had the Burkett reunion. All the Burkett women prepared all the food. I'm talking late 50's to mid 60's. What a feast we had. Had enough food to feed at least twice the number of people attending. Man there was some great food there. I'm sure the ladies fixed their favorite dish. Miss those days when families just got together to eat and visit while the kids played.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 06:57 PM   #30
ClayW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Karnes County

Quote:

My wifeís grandma makes em the same wayÖ.theyíre top 5 no doubt

Another 2 that come to mind are my momís(grandma) Swiss steak and PoPoís fried chicken
ClayW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 06:59 PM   #31
HTOWN
Eight Point

Hunt In: ROCKSPRINGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lee View Post
I have my great grandmas jar of bacon grease. Never been cleaned out. I always add to it when I make bacon. While the rest of the family were fighting over her estate, I loaded the jar of bacon grease, cast iron and a couple pictures. To this day I use all of them and smile each time thinking of her.
You are definitely winning! Good for you
HTOWN is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 08:31 PM   #32
W E H
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lavaca County USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
In my Younger years, I'm talking 50 years ago, we had the Burkett reunion. All the Burkett women prepared all the food. I'm talking late 50's to mid 60's. What a feast we had. Had enough food to feed at least twice the number of people attending. Man there was some great food there. I'm sure the ladies fixed their favorite dish. Miss those days when families just got together to eat and visit while the kids played.
Iím a Burkett Grandson. Which reunion were you going to?

Feel free to pm if you donít want open conversation, but Iíd love to know the connections.

Iím in Yoakum Area
W E H is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 09:05 PM   #33
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Quote:
Originally Posted by W E H View Post
Iím a Burkett Grandson. Which reunion were you going to?

Feel free to pm if you donít want open conversation, but Iíd love to know the connections.

Iím in Yoakum Area
Burkett reunion at Lake Merritt in Mills county. Did your Dad work at a feedlot in the panhandle? Jerry was his name I think.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 09:15 PM   #34
Zmaxhunter
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdCoastHunter View Post
Yep it was grandmothers chicken fried steak cream potatoes with white gravy black eyed peas and the only place Iíve ever had fried cornbread - crunchy and delicious
My Grandmother owned the Peoples Cafe..
Her signature meal was Chicken Fried Steak with mashed potatoes and gravy.
It would cover a 12" plate.. she also served her chicken fry with heinz 57.. the gravy was only on the potatoes.. i use her recipe to this day.
In later yrs, she sold the cafe and became the head cook at pur grade school.. which was when i was there, early thru mid 70s, our school food was great.!
Zmaxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 09:16 PM   #35
OldRiverRat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarleyBird View Post
Bring your arse to my house when I'm frying pork chops with white rice and scratch gravy. Bring your grandmother too, bet I can make her blush!

So Iíve always told people if I had a ďlast mealĒ it would be fried pork chops with homemade gravy, rice, side of corn and butter beans with bread.
And the ham hock from the beans on the side.
My mom could make a meal out of whatever was available. When you grow up
Poor you get creative with food. My moms gumbo is the best, whether itís chicken and sausage or seafood. I took my son for crawfish Saturday evening and I got a bowl of gumbo, he tasted it and said itís good but not like nannyís!
I had been dating my wife for about 2 weeks, we were both 23 and she wanted me to cook her dinner. We went to the grocery store and decided on steak, I naturally went straight to the sirloin, she was like what are you doing? She insisted on ribeye! That was the first time I ever ate a ribeye, quite a difference in the two let me tell you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 09:47 PM   #36
W E H
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lavaca County USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
Burkett reunion at Lake Merritt in Mills county. Did your Dad work at a feedlot in the panhandle? Jerry was his name I think.
There was a Burkett reunion in Staples that I remember them going to in the mid 1970ís. Staples is between Luling and San Marcos. That was the only one Iíd heard of and it was only that one time I remember them going.

No ties to the panhandle. All mine were in the central south Texas area. My mother was the last last named Burkett that I knew. My last name is Hairell.

These are the only ones I knew.

Grandfather Roston Burkett
Great Aunt Edith Burkett Huth
Great Uncle Jake Burkett (I believe he died in the 1930ís)
W E H is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 09:49 PM   #37
W-O
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hilda, Tx

My mother and her sister were excellent cooks. They both made fried shrimp better than any restaurant I have ever eaten at. I can come close but no cigar. Mom also made a killer stuffed flounder. The only thing my mother cooked that I didn't care for was her chicken fried steak.
W-O is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 09:56 PM   #38
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieagarcia View Post
As a kid we would take road trips to abuelitas house in SW Mexico....never forget when we arrived she would have a table full of authentic goodies, chicken mole, carne guisada, Chile molcajete, handmade tortillas, guac, ect. Everything was fresh as she would make frequent trips to the mercado for fresh groceries and produce. I’ll never forget the wonderful smells from the kitchen and amazing meals had at grandmas house.
Oh my. I am freaking hungry again…I’d just about kill for some chicken mole enchiladas right now.
Etxbuckman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 09:58 PM   #39
3DW5
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarleyBird View Post
Just got home from Centerville, Iíll hit you up next time!!!!!
Old 07-04-2021, 10:44 PM   #40
xman59
Pope & Young

my dads fried catfish and hush puppies,,,,, mom's red beans, rice and sausage with fried cornbread,, my own home cooked steaks. my late aunts chicken and dumplins,
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2021, 02:56 AM   #41
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

I miss all of my moms cooking. She was the best. Couldn’t boil water when her and dad got married but she learned and learned well.
My absolute favorite was something she made called Veal Birds. I don’t know how it was made but I remember that it was veal stuffed with or wrapped around some type of dressing and then wrapped in bacon and held together with toothpicks.
I asked her once why we didn’t have them very often and she’d tell me that they were only for the most special occasions because they were so expensive to make.
The last time she fixed Veal Birds was the day in 1969 when my dad came home from Vietnam. Yeah, that was a very special occasion. They were his favorite too.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2021, 05:32 AM   #42
Texas452
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burleson Coleman Leon counties

My grandmothers and my mamas cooking period.
I would never ask what they were cooking because whatever it was it was going to be good.
And I wasn’t picking.
Granny is gone and mama doesn’t cook anymore (but I cook her supper every Sunday).
Granny didn’t fry anything but bacon and eggs. She baked,simmered or made soups and stews. Mama would fry a lot (chicken,pork chops and steaks) but would simmer and bake too.
We didn’t have much money but we always ate good.
Texas452 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2021, 08:02 AM   #43
Box-R
Four Point

What is it about grandmother's fried chicken? Yes, my grandmother's chicken was always perfect golden brown, but my Mom couldn't replicate the recipe. My wife can't do fried chicken either. Only found one restaurant when on a trip to Nebraska that could come close to my Nana's chicken.
Box-R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2021, 08:09 AM   #44
dbaio1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bienville and Jackson Parish Louisiana - Union Community area

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
My grandmother's fried shrimp. All her food was fantastic, but the shrimp were out of this world, such a strong butter taste. I have tried to replicate, get close, but just not the same. Now that I sit here and think about it, she used Crisco to fry them in, I have been using peanut oil. Will need to try Crisco next time. Miss her and my grandfather dearly, wish I would have asked more questions...
She may have used the butter flavored crisco. They use to offer that not sure about today.
dbaio1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2021, 12:05 PM   #45
okrattler
Pope & Young

I'll say one thing I don't care much for is hamburgers. I ate millions of them growing up. I like hamburger in things like hamburger helper,spaghetti sauce ect. But it was cheap eatin so grandma cooked them all the time. They were cooked good but I think I've just eaten too many of em. I'll still eat one now and again but I prefer other food.

I know I'm weird. But dadgum I feel like I'm about 10 trillion cheeseburgers ahead of everyone else in life.

Last edited by okrattler; 07-05-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-05-2021, 01:07 PM   #46
parkchief100
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sunset, Colorado

My grandmother was the same way- no recipe ever period! She had a big big garden and you could go over to her house and she would have fresh black-eyed peas, cornbread, homegrown tomatoes pealed and cold in the fridge, skillet fried taters and cantaloupe good and cold! Man I can remember it like it was yesterday. I sure miss that woman! She has been gone for 11 years now and she was 94 when she passed. No way I could ever cook or bake like her and for that matter I wouldn’t even try. She was a legend to a lot of people as she fed many people who were less fortunate.
parkchief100 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2021, 04:12 PM   #47
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

I swear my dad's mom, my Louisiana grandmother, could take any food and make a gourmet meal of it. I miss her and her cooking so much. She made the best home made louisiana style tamales.

My mother was a great cook as well. She could make anything. Holidays were pure greatness. Home made pumpkin and sweet potato pies, lemon pie, fudge, on and on. She made the best potato salad i've ever had.

She handed down recipes to all her daughters in law. The girls and us boys have done our best to replicate many of the dishes over the years. My wife and i get reasonably close on the potato salad and the chicken and dressing (turkey is too dry). I'm afraid the taste of the rest of it is gone forever.
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2021, 07:20 PM   #48
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County

My grandma would make something we called salt steak back in the day. She would take a filet loin and just coat it with salt and wrap in butcher paper and grill. She made a aujus type sauce that was incredible!!! It was my favorite meal every Easter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TX CHICKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2021, 08:41 PM   #49
wdtorque
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
My grandma would make something we called salt steak back in the day. She would take a filet loin and just coat it with salt and wrap in butcher paper and grill. She made a aujus type sauce that was incredible!!! It was my favorite meal every Easter!

This sounds good

wdtorque is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2021, 08:59 PM   #50
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

My lovely wife is a knockout cook so I cant really think of anything special. BUT with that being said my grandmother used to make sweet buttery rice for breakfast when we were kids. This might be the most original dish I have ever had, and have tried to duplicate it one. I failed miserably and it was sad because I hyped it up so much to my family. None of my cousins can make it either, so it is lost to the world.

Of all the things she made, I guess I miss that the most.
bowhuntntxn is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top