X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading Tips

Post em if ya got em.

Here's one.
    A lot of peeps on here reload and shoot a lot of AR platform ammo.
    When reloading for AR platform guns it helps to increase case neck pressure to keep the bullets from creeping forward when the bolt slams into battery. This will help insure consistent chamber pressure, velocity strings and accuracy. You can do this by always setting your dies up for slight taper crimp. Bullets with a cannelure won't require as much crimp and is easy to see. Thick wall bullets like Nosler and solids like Barnes will require more cam over pressure to insure a tight fit.

Note: if you are loading at or above max powder charge you do not want your bullet to slam or creep forward in the case neck to the point they engage the lands and especially in a .223 where chamber may not be designed for over 62,000 psi. Split cases and blown primers are not pretty and you may find yourself using a cleaning rod to punch out a stuck case or worse.

Yeah. If you build a load at 60 degree ambient and it’s a hot load, be prepared when you shoot it in 110 degree temps. Especially a 300 win with 80+ grains of powder

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      Yeah. If you build a load at 60 degree ambient and it’s a hot load, be prepared when you shoot it in 110 degree temps. Especially a 300 win with 80+ grains of powder
      Ha! I cracked the bolt face on a Sendro 300WM one time. Was using a powder thrower and forgot to completely clean it out before I poured H1000 in on top of BLC-2 residue.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
        Ha! I cracked the bolt face on a Sendro 300WM one time. Was using a powder thrower and forgot to completely clean it out before I poured H1000 in on top of BLC-2 residue.
        I didn’t break it but mine was a sendero as well. Nearly blew the firing pin through my face lol. Took that gun to WTO and had my first semi custom built on that action.

Comment

Turn your **** necks of you want long range accuracy! Can’t stand somebody trying to talk about neck tension and doesn’t expand and then turn and trim to the same length. Full length size only. Get the best annealing machine you can afford and learn how to use it well. And most importantly, don’t own a cartridge that Lapua doesn’t make brass for!

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
            Turn your **** necks of you want long range accuracy! Can’t stand somebody trying to talk about neck tension and doesn’t expand and then turn and trim to the same length. Full length size only. Get the best annealing machine you can afford and learn how to use it well. And most importantly, don’t own a cartridge that Lapua doesn’t make brass for!
            I’m out. I did that for a rifle. I’m glad I didn’t get a severe drinking problem lol. I HATED neck turning. But I did it with a handheld Sinclair kit. OCD. I even prep cases by hand.

Comment

I really intended this thread to be about useful tips and not opinions.

Comment

Case length and trimming is very basic stuff in reloading metallic cartridges.
                Once cases have been run thru a set of good quality dies a few times and trimmed to length the case walls will be fairly uniform in thickness. Maybe not BR tolerances but good enough for sub MOA in most instances where all other components are compatible.
                My initial post was directed toward people shooting reloads from AR guns that are getting erratic groupings and when chrono velocities are all over the place. Making sure the bullet seating depths don't change as the rounds cycle thru are just one of the elements of loading good consistent ammo. We don't want the BCG to act like an inertia bullet puller and dislodge the bullet as it slams home into the chamber and stops suddenly.

Bullet creep is not much of a problem with bolt action guns obviously.

As for full length sizing, I do this for all my AR ammo even to the point of using small base dies on some.

Comment

Have you had to turn necks on Lapua cartridges? I've never had to turn a neck on one. I'd be interested in learning more about it.

Comment

For poor boy annealing, you can do it on one of the older electric stoves with the little flat bar that spirals in toward the center. Just start on the out side and put your cases neck down on the spiral. By the time you get to the center, it is about time to start taking them off the outside and working your way back toward the center. I do mine at the hunting cabin now as that is the kind of stove we have.

Comment

My best advice is to buy the best equipment you can afford and learn how to use it properly.

Comment

Reloading Tips

I don’t have many tips per say since I load pretty much by the book. One thing that I think that is often overlooked being cheap and easy is deburring flash holes. You only have to do it once and helps with consistent ignition. Other than that I would say keeping good records is at the top of the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                          I don’t have many tips per say since I load pretty much by the book. One thing that I think that is often overlooked being cheap and easy is deburring flash holes. You only have to do it once and helps with consistent ignition. Other than that I would say keeping good records is at the top of the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Amen on keeping records. And make them as detailed as possible.

Comment

Consistency is key in reloading. I use a marker and put a small dot on each case. Whenever I resize, trim, or seat a bullet, I turn the mark the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                              I really intended this thread to be about useful tips and not opinions.
                              That's exactly what my statements are, useful tips.

Comment

Working...
                              X