CZ shotguns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CZ shotguns?

I’m looking to get my wife her first shotgun. Over/ under and either 28 or 20 gauge. Primary use will be to shoot clays on our property.

The only 28 gauge over/under I can find in ‘my corner’ of Montana is a CZ Drake. Budget is $1k so it is well within it.

There’s a local trap/skeet range and I’ve spoken to the club president, who said to come out, let her shoot a 28 and a 20 to see what she’s comfortable with and see if any members are selling a 28 or 20 gauge gun (he said there probably are several in safes not being shot).

Any experience good or bad with the CZs? Any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a CZ Hammer Classic Side by Side. Not exactly the same as what you're looking at, but I can attest to it's looks and general workmanship. For the money, they are darned nice guns. The wood on mine is beautiful. Mine is a case colored receiver, which is also really nice looking. It functions as it should, but I can't really tell you much as far as using it for birds or skeet, because I haven't done either.
    Good luck sir.

Comment

I have a CZ premier redhead target - it’s a 20 gauge O/U. It’s a great shotgun for the money.

Comment

I had the drake in 20ga - I loved it , felt super solid. Traded it for an AR pistol build but I miss it. Would certainly recommend.

Comment

For the price they're hard to beat I think. I got my 20 gauge redhead deluxe (the older model) for $500 second hand in almost perfect condition.

Comment

I bought my wife a CZ Drake 12G. (She refused a 20). Great shotgun. Very good weight and balance. Originally I wish the shells automatically ejected but it’s actually kind of nice to pull and collect for trash. Very well built, good fit and finish. She now has a beretta A400 outlander (big jump) but at the end of the day they are “our guns” right!

Comment

My buddy has the 28ga O/U. He has been heck on the roosters and sharptail with it. I have the original Bobwhite 20ga SxS, I like it a lot! Try the store in Ennis, they may have some for her to handle.

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

For a woman who hasn’t shot, would a 20 gauge be ok? I guess you get used to whatever you shoot. Or put a better recoil pad on it.

Comment

O/U, make sure it fits her well. I’d recommend getting a pad installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                    Thanks for the comments.

For a woman who hasn’t shot, would a 20 gauge be ok? I guess you get used to whatever you shoot. Or put a better recoil pad on it.

The recoil pad on my older model is just a hard piece of plastic, I'm not sure about the new models, but I couldn't find a direct fit aftermarket replacement. It doesn't bother me much being a 20ga, but it bothered my then girlfriend enough that she preferred to shoot my 12ga M2. The prices for getting one fitted kept me from bothering with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bluelund79 View Post
                      My buddy has the 28ga O/U. He has been heck on the roosters and sharptail with it. I have the original Bobwhite 20ga SxS, I like it a lot! Try the store in Ennis, they may have some for her to handle.

Shedhorn. That’s where I bought the clay thrower- what a great place to Christmas shop and they had a table set up for free gift wrapping.

They had a 28 gauge Drake and a Stoeger o/u. And a consignment Citori which he referred to as a “family heirloom”.

Comment

Also, if you ever take a road trip to Billings, the local Scheel’s has the Drake’s in 20 and 28 in stock. They also have the Franchi in 20ga too. Had I not found my English stocked Ruger Red Label 20ga, I was going to get the Franchi from there. Hope you all find something for her.

Comment

.02 cents

28ga shells are going to be considerably more expensive and harder to find.

Are you dead set on an O/U?

Finding a gun that fits her will make her shooting experience more fun. This should be top priority

Beretta A400 in 20 gauge can be bought used for a little more than your current budget and will last a lifetime, it will also hold its resale value if things change.

Comment

Agreed

Originally posted by mkk View Post
                            .02 cents

Finding a gun that fits her will make her shooting experience more fun. This should be top priority

Beretta A400 in 20 gauge can be bought used for a little more than your current budget and will last a lifetime, it will also hold its resale value if things change.
                            This ^. A400 with a kick off pad is so easy to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by mkk View Post
                              .02 cents

She’s left eye dominant, right handed. Instead of searching for a left handed semi auto or pump, I thought the o/u would let her shoot either shoulder.

Comment

Working...
                              X