Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-22-2021, 08:25 AM   #351
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Chest and biceps today. A few more days of 5X5 and then on to a new or different program.

DB bench press/preacher curl
Incline bench press/BB curl/ab crunch
Seated wide grip chest press/curl bar with handles
Incline cable fly/arm blaster curls

Back and leg day tomorrow
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2021, 09:22 AM   #352
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Default Start the week off on the right foot...

with some back and legs today. 5X5 for the most part except calves was 5X10.

T-bar row/sled leg press/calf raise
Back squat/weighted pullups pronated grip
Front squat/weighted pullups neutral grip/seated calf raise toes in
Bent over BB row/leg extension/ab crunch

Chest and biceps tomorrow
Old 07-26-2021, 10:09 AM   #353
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Finished up my program last week as planned and took the weekend off. I was planning to got to the gym this morning and tomorrow morning before our 3 week vacation starts on Wednesday. That got derailed as I may have been exposed to covid Saturday morning. I dont have any symptoms so far but Im not going to the gym out of caution for others there. Timing of this could not be worse. My wife has been looking forward to this all year. She is going to be devastated if it gets derailed because I got the covid. Carry on the good work fellas.

Last edited by rtp; 07-26-2021 at 10:44 AM.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2021, 10:12 AM   #354
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

I got into the game late this year (about 6 weeks ago). Down 17 lbs with diet and exercise. Hitting the lifetime fitness near the house about 6 days a week. Cardio mostly, but started kettle bells, concept rower, concept ski erg along with elliptical (MMA setting is a butt kicker).

Feel better already and pants are fitting a lot better.

Elbow tendonitis is a mood killer though. Need to find time to get it fixed.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2021, 10:41 AM   #355
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
I got into the game late this year (about 6 weeks ago). Down 17 lbs with diet and exercise. Hitting the lifetime fitness near the house about 6 days a week. Cardio mostly, but started kettle bells, concept rower, concept ski erg along with elliptical (MMA setting is a butt kicker).

Feel better already and pants are fitting a lot better.

Elbow tendonitis is a mood killer though. Need to find time to get it fixed.
Good for you Chew!

That elbow tendonitis is hard to get rid of. Every time I get it I try and rest it (RICE) and it feels better. But, I'm kinda hard headed and will keep trying to work through it.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:03 AM   #356
Johnny44
Ten Point

Hunt In: https://miamoo.org/

If you codgers don’t do anything else, try the following for a while first:

Brisk 30 min walk

Pushups

Jumping squats (can do while walking)

Slam Ball (Get a 20 or 30lb slamball, start from a squat, lift as high as you can go overhead on tip-toes, then slam to the ground)

Some kinda dumbell curls

If you can do this twice per day even better.
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 08:22 AM   #357
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

A little over a week left on my month of 5X5. Hit the chest and biceps hard today. Tried to eek out a rep or two more on each set even though it's 5X5.

Incline bench on smith machine/preacher curl
Seated wide grip chest press/BB curl/ab crunch
Bench press/arm blaster curls
Cable fly/hammer curl bar
Over head cable curl

Leg and shoulder day tomorrow.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:59 AM   #358
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Well.... Its been 8 -9 days since I contributed to this tread but made it this morning for Cardio and chest.

I have had zero energy and little sleep the last few weeks and finally figured out it was the latest medication I was prescribed to help with sleep. Been on it for a couple months and noticed I had been gaining weight like crazy and after a blood panel the doctor had me taken off the medicine asap.

Back at the grind and still chipping away at finding better sleep lol Tried my APAP machine for the first time in a while and only made it to 1am with it on. Might be trying a new mask soon
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 10:28 AM   #359
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
Well.... Its been 8 -9 days since I contributed to this tread but made it this morning for Cardio and chest.

I have had zero energy and little sleep the last few weeks and finally figured out it was the latest medication I was prescribed to help with sleep. Been on it for a couple months and noticed I had been gaining weight like crazy and after a blood panel the doctor had me taken off the medicine asap.

Back at the grind and still chipping away at finding better sleep lol Tried my APAP machine for the first time in a while and only made it to 1am with it on. Might be trying a new mask soon

Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting some rest. I' guessing you've done a sleep study? Sounds to me like you may have been overmedicated. I'm no Dr., but I have watched Grey's Anatomy. LOL!
Old 07-27-2021, 02:19 PM   #360
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Thanks for the re-motivation fellers. Been nursing an injury for the past couple months but I'm ready to move on and get back into it. The summer heat doesn't help but I am tired of making excuses.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #361
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post

Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting some rest. I' guessing you've done a sleep study? Sounds to me like you may have been overmedicated. I'm no Dr., but I have watched Grey's Anatomy. LOL!
Very possible!

Have done the sleep study and averaged 25 disturbances a night over a 4 night period so was easily given the green light for a Apap machine. Unfortunately I haven't made it through a whole night with it on in about 30-35 attempts. Changed mask once and probably going to have to change to something else.

I've also tried every medication in the book with no luck (including multiple off label uses).

It all started about 8-9 years ago out of no where and hasn't become any better.

Sucks but trying to work with what I got but the more I read into working out, healthier life styles, etc the more I realize how crucial, and a big part, sleep plays into things and Im SOL on that entire aspect.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:51 PM   #362
rtp
Pope & Young

Man I cant imagine having that kind of crappy sleep for so long. I hope you get it figured out soon!

Good news is I dont have the Rona.......for now. Leaving tomorrow for Lake Tahoe. I'll check back in towards the end of the month, fat and out of shape again!
Old 07-28-2021, 08:46 AM   #363
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
Very possible!

Have done the sleep study and averaged 25 disturbances a night over a 4 night period so was easily given the green light for a Apap machine. Unfortunately I haven't made it through a whole night with it on in about 30-35 attempts. Changed mask once and probably going to have to change to something else.

I've also tried every medication in the book with no luck (including multiple off label uses).

It all started about 8-9 years ago out of no where and hasn't become any better.

Sucks but trying to work with what I got but the more I read into working out, healthier life styles, etc the more I realize how crucial, and a big part, sleep plays into things and Im SOL on that entire aspect.

****. Sorry to hear that. I hope things get better for you soon!
Old 07-28-2021, 08:50 AM   #364
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Shoulders and legs today. I wasn't feeling it, but did it anyway.

Sled leg press/calf raises/military press
Front squat/lateral raise/ab crunch
Rear squat/rear delt cable pull
Bilateral shoulder press/leg extension/ab roller

Chest and back tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:30 AM   #365
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

A good, strong day at the gym this morning. I love days like this! It must have been because I slept well.

Incline bench on smith machine/t-bar row
Flat bench DB chest press/BB row inverse grip/incline situp
Seated wide grip bilateral chest press/lat pulldown
Low row/cable fly

No gym tomorrow. Headed to the lease to fill feeders. Have a great weekend!
Old 07-29-2021, 08:35 AM   #366
150class
Pope & Young

Knocked out back and cardio yesterday

Hopefully legs at lunch
Old 07-31-2021, 09:01 PM   #367
150class
Pope & Young

Today was some stairs and “push”. Did a 4 circuit rotation with a shoulder, tricep, and chest exercised (stayed 4x10 or 4x12 for all)

Switching things up to a Push-Pull-Legs-Cardio/Core-Repeat routine

Pull day will be interesting with my bicep but we shall see

Last edited by 150class; 07-31-2021 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:20 PM   #368
150class
Pope & Young

Woke up at 345 to go fish and was wiped out the rest of the day. No gym but I managed to sneak in a run for 3.25 miles

Pull day tomorrow
Old 08-02-2021, 09:17 AM   #369
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

My last 3 days of the 5X5 are this week and then it's on to a different program. I haven't decided what that will be just yet. Friday's heat at the lease really wiped me out. I drank a ton of water and mixed pedialyte in several bottles, but that didn't stop the leg cramps at 3 AM. I've had leg cramps before, but I could hardly stand straight up when they hit me. It was in both legs too.

I had to come home early on Saturday due to SXS problems. I took a 2 hour nap and then another 3 hour one on Sunday. I guess I'm not the young buck I used to be!!!

Back and legs today.

T-bar row/sled leg press/calf raises
Bent over BB row/super squat/standing calf raise
Weighted pullup/Leg extension/leg raise
Low row/prone leg curl/ab crunch

Chest and biceps tomorrow
Old 08-03-2021, 08:18 AM   #370
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Chest and biceps today. It was a full house this morning in the gym, but I managed to work around most of the squatters.

Incline bench on smith machine/preacher curl
DB bench press/BB curl/ab roller
Seated wide grip bilateral chest press/hammer curl
Cable fly/arm blaster curls/ab crunch
pushups/overhead cable curls

Legs and triceps tomorrow. Fun.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:25 AM   #371
b.latiolais
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards County

Changed it up the last couple of workouts. Trying out a HIIT program.

20 minutes, do as many reps as possible of each exercise then move to the next. (Not heavy weight)
20 second rest after each cycle then start over.

Overhead Press
Front Squat
Bent Over BB Row
Push-ups
20 second rest
Repeat

Finished both days with a mile walk/jog
b.latiolais is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2021, 08:57 AM   #372
150class
Pope & Young

Yesterday was pull day. Looks like I cannot do a full rotation with my bicep issue so will try switching to low weight and high reps for the bicep exercises and see how that goes.

Today is suppose to be legs but very well could turn into a cardio day.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:43 PM   #373
150class
Pope & Young

Made it to the gym instead of lunch.

Did legs and changed this up to more of a “hit” style that I remember seeing here recently.

5 exercises all 3.5 mins each. Do as many reps as possible rest as needed but push through as much as possible.

Started with 15mins of stairs

Leg Ext’s
Hack Squats
Leg curls
Leg press
DB dead lifts
15 mins of sauna

I’m absolutely fried
Old 08-04-2021, 08:28 AM   #374
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Today is supposed to be the final day of my month of 5X5, but I think I'll continue through to the end of the week. Today was supposed to be back and legs, but the old knees sounded like gravel and rice krispies so I did back and triceps. Feeling stronger today so I upped the weight all around. 5X5 on back movements and 5X10 on triceps. I'm now toast.

T-bar row/weighted dips
Bent over BB row/skull crushers
Wide grip row/overhead rope extension
Lat pulldown w/handles/cable kickback

Ill try legs and shoulders tomorrow.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:37 AM   #375
150class
Pope & Young

Going to try a HITT push day but will see how the first set goes (aiming for lunch again)

May turn into cardio and core
Old 08-04-2021, 09:08 AM   #376
TexHunter12
Spike

Hunt In: Sonora

So I have been lurking for a while and trying to get motivated to do something. I am 50 years old, 5'8" tall and 190lbs when I started 3 week ago. I have not worked out since college. I joined a CrossFit class! So far I am in the middle of week 3 going 5 days a week (Mon-Thur after work and Sat morning). I have really enjoyed it because there is something different everyday.

Week 1: OUCH!!!!!!! After the first two workouts I could barely even get up the stairs or off the couch (lots of leg work). I would have to go into the gym 45 min early to try and get loose. Plan was to only do 4 days this week however I was feeling better Sat morning and went ahead and went.

Week 2: Much better but still had to work through so pretty good soreness as we moved to heavy core work. Not near as bad as week one.

Week 3: Feeling really good and already dropped 7lbs. Monday was a BEAST of a WOD however I have not had the pain I have the first two weeks. Just a little sore and nothing a couple of good stretches wont cure.
TexHunter12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2021, 09:59 AM   #377
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHunter12 View Post
So I have been lurking for a while and trying to get motivated to do something. I am 50 years old, 5'8" tall and 190lbs when I started 3 week ago. I have not worked out since college. I joined a CrossFit class! So far I am in the middle of week 3 going 5 days a week (Mon-Thur after work and Sat morning). I have really enjoyed it because there is something different everyday.

Week 1: OUCH!!!!!!! After the first two workouts I could barely even get up the stairs or off the couch (lots of leg work). I would have to go into the gym 45 min early to try and get loose. Plan was to only do 4 days this week however I was feeling better Sat morning and went ahead and went.

Week 2: Much better but still had to work through so pretty good soreness as we moved to heavy core work. Not near as bad as week one.

Week 3: Feeling really good and already dropped 7lbs. Monday was a BEAST of a WOD however I have not had the pain I have the first two weeks. Just a little sore and nothing a couple of good stretches wont cure.
Good for you Tex! The best advice I have is stick with it. Consistency will pay off better than intensity. My wife does the crossfit stuff at our gym with some other folks while I'm lifting. They use an app that has their crossfit WODs on it.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:41 AM   #378
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

I started about 2 months ago at a local gym. It's a functional strength class and we do all sorts of different stuff every day. My left elbow and bilateral knee arthritis have flared up bad, but so far I like it and will continue. Been averaging 3-4 days a week and starting to see alittle more tone. I will say that at 43 my body DOES NOT respond working out like it did 20 years ago! Lol
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2021, 06:04 AM   #379
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHunter12 View Post

Awesome and keep it up sir.

Yesterday was a push day for me.

20 min stair warmup

6 sets at 3 mins a piece for Shoulders, tris and chest.
2 sets of tris and chest to failure to finish off

10 mins in the sauna

Just walked in the game for pull day

Hoping for 10 mins of stairs (my legs are dying from the other day)

6 sets at 3 mins for back and Biís
1-2 sets at the end for a reps to failure

Sauna
Old 08-05-2021, 08:26 AM   #380
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Legs and shoulders today.

Front squat/military press
Back squat/lateral raise
Sled leg press/Bilateral shoulder press
Leg extension/front raise
Walking lunges/rear delt cable pull

Last day of 5X5 tomorrow. I'll finish it off with chest and biceps.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:47 AM   #381
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Last day of 5X5 training. I had it all planned out in my head what I was doing today, but wasn't planning on getting home at 930 and in bed at 1030. That alarm at 345 AM kinda sucked today. Chest and biceps today.

Incline DB chest press every setting to flat/preacher curl
Bench press/hammer curl bar
Seated wide grip bilateral chest press/BB curl
Cable fly/overhead cable curls

Probably going to some kind of 4 day split starting next week and hitting the box for crossfit on Wednesday or make Wednesday a cardio/pool day.

Have a great weekend!
Old 08-06-2021, 08:54 AM   #382
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

I had a covid setback. Went to Florida last week for my son's wedding and came home with the Kung Flu. I feel ok... Just gotta stay away from the gym until all this passes. Doing flights if stairs at home just to do something.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2021, 11:10 AM   #383
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
I had a covid setback. Went to Florida last week for my son's wedding and came home with the Kung Flu. I feel ok... Just gotta stay away from the gym until all this passes. Doing flights if stairs at home just to do something.
Happy to hear about the new family member and congrats!

Sucks about Covid. Hope it passes with ease sir!

-------------------------------------------------------

Today is suppose to be legs which is humanly impossible as far as I am concerned because I can still barely walk.... Going to try out some core and cardio during lunch and push legs back to tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:30 AM   #384
150class
Pope & Young

Knocked out cardio and core yesterday

Just walked in for legs.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:54 AM   #385
150class
Pope & Young

Absolutely annihilated legs….

This new Hitt style workout is awesome but cruel at the same time
Old 08-08-2021, 11:48 AM   #386
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Gym hits hard on Sunday mornings so you have to hit mark harder.

Lift heavy and often.

Legs and back
CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2021, 10:41 AM   #387
150class
Pope & Young

Did a rest day yesterday.

Back at it for lunch today and its a pull day.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:59 AM   #388
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

I finished my month of 5X5 last week, tweaked my dang shoulder on the last day. Go figure. I'm working on the next plan of action, but for this week I'll probably just stick to the plain Jane routine of 3X10. I'm looking at going to a program I used to use several years ago-a 4 day split M/T/T/F with Wednesday being a cardio day. Gotta figure out my rep range and sets, etc.

Chest and biceps today, but the should limited my weight on chest. Chest reps:16/14/12/10, biceps 4X8.

Incline chest press on smith/preacher curl
Bench press/BB curl
Seated wide grip bilateral chest press/hammer curl
Pec deck/overhead cable curls

Back and legs tomorrow.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:04 AM   #389
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx

Legs,and back today.
Hart8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2021, 07:50 AM   #390
150class
Pope & Young

Knocked out pull day yesterday at lunch

Just finished a push day and sitting in the sauna
Old 08-10-2021, 08:22 AM   #391
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Back and legs done. 3X10

Sled leg press/calf raises/t-bar row/incline situp
Leg extension/Weighted pullup wide grip/Cable rotations
Front squat/weighted pullup neutral grip/ab roller
Back squat/Bent over BB row
Old 08-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #392
rtp
Pope & Young

Still eating and drinking my way around Lake Tahoe.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:21 AM   #393
150class
Pope & Young

Cardio and core yesterday.

Today will be legs...
Old 08-12-2021, 08:33 AM   #394
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
I am so jealous.

I worked shoulders and triceps today. My right shoulder still has some kind of impingement going on. I'll let it rest for a few days and see how it feels on Monday.

Military press/cable pushdown pronated and supinated
Seated lateral raise/overhead cable pulls
Rear delt cable pull/cable kickback
BB front raise/overhead DB extension

Leg day tomorrow. I may throw back work in there as well.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:57 AM   #395
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
I donít post here much but started working out again and eating right in March. Iím down almost 40 lbs. I have a new goal. And plan to lose another 20-30.

Lots of push ups. Jumping jacks. Ab workouts. And my Bowflex M5. Did a 9 mile hike last week. That was fun but kicked my ***. Glad to know I can still put miles on my boots non stop.

I did cheat hard today. Pizza! And whiskey haha. Body felt weird. Havenít been sleeping good. So I needed a reset. I did one hell of a 2 hour workout this morning. Hit it hard again tomorrow. And on night shift. I have an issue of not taking days off to rest. I feel like I donít accomplish anything taking rest days but forcing myself as I know itís needed.
Hope you are still grinding and kicking arse Matt!
Old 08-12-2021, 08:59 AM   #396
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
I have very intrigued with going back to low reps heavy weights also. I used to love being a gym rat but not sure if that is the best route for me anymore. I have not felt this good in a long time and enjoying this run.
Oscar, still grinding away sir? Looks like you've been a busy lately from the few post I have seen! Hope all is well.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:21 AM   #397
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Yessir, thx for checking on me!!!! Holding at 198 - 204 pounds. After being a chunky 237 or so I am loving the new found freedom. Feeling good, looking good, even more positive about life and gonna pull the trigger on a new bicycle as this one don't owe me nada!!!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2021, 11:23 AM   #398
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
We love North Lake Tahoe.......actually wore a golf shirt on Tuesday that had "Incline Village" logo on it!!!

Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2021, 11:35 AM   #399
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
Yessir, thx for checking on me!!!! Holding at 198 - 204 pounds. After being a chunky 237 or so I am loving the new found freedom. Feeling good, looking good, even more positive about life and gonna pull the trigger on a new bicycle as this one don't owe me nada!!!!

Awesome!!!
Old 08-13-2021, 08:30 AM   #400
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Knocked it out this morning. Back, legs and biceps. I'm glad the weekend is here.

T-bar row/front squat/BB curl
Weighted pull up/back squat/preacher curl
Hexbar neutral grip bent over row/leg extension/arm blaster curl
Low row supinated grip/curl bar with handles/prone leg curl

Have a great weekend!