Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-27-2021, 09:26 PM   #101
SC-001
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by asu-indian View Post
Sorry but if there is a judge involved, I'm out. Gymnastics, iceskating and beauty pageants are not sports or competitions to me. When opinions are involved, and the winner is determined by that, it's subjective. I'm not saying that the participants are not super athletic and are not great to watch, but it's just not worthy of the Olympics, IMO.
I agree, if there's not objective scoring, addition of runs, goals, in essence points and a defense... its not a sport... period
SC-001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 09:41 PM   #102
kurt68
Ten Point

Hunt In: Waller Co. and Rocksprings and "H"

It just a sad and weird situation. Didn’t she just a week ago have the goat emblem bedazzled on her leotards? I feel sorry for her, she definitely needs help.
kurt68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 09:47 PM   #103
Tommy1123
Eight Point

Hunt In: Panola Co, Tyler Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale moser View Post
"mental health" has been made a crutch by the vast majority of this country. Everyone wants to be in the spotlight until someone turns it on.
lol 💯 💯
Tommy1123 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 10:01 PM   #104
The Crippler
Ten Point

Default Simone Biles mental issues

Just a different perspective from my wife who was a 6A all-state gymnast…when Simone came off that vault you could see it in her face that she was lost in the air, couldn’t find her landing and could have seriously injured herself. Gymnastics can be a much more mental sport than many may think, especially when you can literally paralyze or kill yourself if you freak out in the middle of a skill. Would it be better for her to continue knowing she wasn’t in a good place to compete and score well or step back and give her teammates the best chance to win? It’s not like she went back to the locker room and pouted, she was on the sideline cheering on her teammates and supporting them. It may have taken more courage to withdraw from the event she has been training for full time literally her entire life than try to “power through” and injure herself and tank the team score. I guarantee most of y’all would be posting how selfish and mentally weak she was if she had continued with her routines and scored poorly costing her team a medal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by The Crippler; 07-27-2021 at 10:05 PM.
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 10:04 PM   #105
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
Not a little girl. A Grown *** woman. Men AND women need to learn to pick up their cross and walk up that hill. When you have people relying on you, you don’t get to quit.
Life is hard. Never use illness as an excuse not to do something you *could* do.
Hope she can work through whatever is troubling her and get her act back together.
I couldn’t have said it better myself.

The world of competitive gymnastics is tough, both physically AND mentally. Those who are too weak to handle the competition are usually weeded out long before they reach international levels of competition. But whether they are eliminated through the echelons or not, if they can’t handle the pressure, they have no business being there.

In spite of this, Miss Biles’s decision to withdraw herself from the competition was a strategic one, rather than an impulsive one brought on by emotional distress. When it became clear she could not contribute the number of individual points to the team total needed to beat the Russian team—the high number of points for which she is historically known—she needed to step aside. With the competition between the U.S. and Russia so tight, it became imperative to give the next highest qualifying alternate an opportunity to make up the point deficits.

Frankly, it is disappointing that a mature young woman of 24, one who has trained her whole life for this level of competition, allowed herself to succumb to emotional distractions. Nevertheless, removing herself from the competition was the strategic and honorable thing to do in this instance.

Last edited by ThisLadyHunts; 07-27-2021 at 10:15 PM.
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 10:05 PM   #106
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: A warm enclosed blind

She is one of the best ever female gymnast. Every competitor comes to a point of diminishing returns. Her's might be right now. Weither it is mental or physical it happens.

I was told a long long time ago by a wise old coach. The mental is to physical as 3 is to 1.

I was also told. It's a choice to have a bad mental day. Its not a choice to have a bad physical day.

True great ones should never quit unless physically unable to perform.
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 10:10 PM   #107
SC-001
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdj View Post

I was also told. It's a choice to have a bad mental day. Its not a choice to have a bad physical day.
And what they told you is a bunch of bullsh#t, ever hear of chemical imbalance, its called mental illness for a reason its not a choice.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:12 PM   #108
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippler View Post
Just a different perspective from my wife who was a 6A all-state gymnast…when Simone came off that vault you could see it in her face that she was lost in the air, couldn’t find her landing and could have seriously injured herself. Gymnastics can be a much more mental sport than many may think, especially when you can literally paralyze or kill yourself if you freak out in the middle of a skill. Would it be better for her to continue knowing she wasn’t in a good place to compete and score well or step back and give her teammates the best chance to win? It’s not like she went back to the locker room and pouted, she was on the sideline cheering on her teammates and supporting them. It may have taken more courage to withdraw from the event she has been training for full time literally her entire life than try to “power through” and injure herself and tank the team score. I guarantee most of y’all would be posting how selfish and mentally weak she was if she had continued with her routines and scored poorly costing her team a medal.
Watched an olympian contending for metal in skeet shooting who has competed in the olympics for the past 28 years fall apart coming down the home stretch the other day...the mental aspect shouldn't be overlooked.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 10:15 PM   #109
bigbad243
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fredericksburg and Hye Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Watched an olympian contending for metal in skeet shooting who has competed in the olympics for the past 28 years fall apart coming down the home stretch the other day...the mental aspect shouldn't be overlooked.
I still think there is a difference, mentally falling apart and failing, ok. The quitting is what really gets me.
bigbad243 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 10:18 PM   #110
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: A warm enclosed blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-001 View Post
And what they told you is a bunch of bullsh#t, ever hear of chemical imbalance, its called mental illness for a reason its not a choice.
Sorry it wasn't! It was great advice.
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 10:20 PM   #111
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

The quitting is the pivot point & reason for the conversation...the question is why.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 10:24 PM   #112
The Crippler
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
The quitting is the pivot point & reason for the conversation...the question is why.

She explained it if you watched her interview, she wanted to give her team the best chance to win.

The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 10:27 PM   #113
bigbad243
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fredericksburg and Hye Texas

Quote:
She explained it if you watched her interview, she wanted to give her team the best chance to win.

She was that person, the poor girl that filled in for her scored an 11, and that was the nail in coffin for gold.
bigbad243 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 10:30 PM   #114
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

Quote:

The teams best chance to win was for her to go out there and get it done. Instead of fighting through the pressure she just up and quit and put someone else in the hot seat. I think it was a business decision. I’ve failed at a lot of things, but I’ve never quit.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 10:34 PM   #115
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Quote:
Mental illness may not be a choice, but you still have choices over yourself and your life.
Sika is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 10:38 PM   #116
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Emotional weakness is not the same thing as a mental illness due to a chemical imbalance. And while you might not have choice about how you feel, you do have a choice about how you behave.

Life is tough, but you’ve still got to run the race.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:42 PM   #117
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

Anybody else see the Women’s volleyball team from Turkey beat the crap out of China, it was awesome!!!! China has dominated for a long time but got thrashed!!!
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 11:11 PM   #118
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
Typical tbh. A bunch of fat old farts criticizing somebody for something they don't understand.
Or to put it another way…

A bunch of wizened old people who have weathered life’s challenges with character and good cheer; who, through sheer and dogged determination, have consistently triumphed over adversity (or when they didn’t, never blamed others for the misfortune); who never hesitate to put the needs of others before their own; and who hold others to the same high standards to which they hold themselves every single day.

Fat old farts who don’t understand? No. Simply everyday heroes whose unitards “shrunk in the wash.”
Old 07-27-2021, 11:19 PM   #119
rvd
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I feel bad for her but hate the message it sends to those who look up to her. This country wasn’t built by people who checked it in when things got rough, may fall because of them though. Resiliency is grossly undervalued today.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 01:07 AM   #120
ElfEyes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas
Cool

I sure hope some of y'all never fall off of those tall horse's.
ElfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 05:45 AM   #121
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 05:46 AM   #122
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post

A bunch of wizened old people who have weathered life’s challenges with character and good cheer; who, through sheer and dogged determination, have consistently triumphed over adversity (or when they didn’t, never blamed others for the misfortune); who never hesitate to put the needs of others before their own; and who hold others to the same high standards to which they hold themselves every single day.

Fat old farts who don’t understand? No. Simply everyday heroes whose unitards “shrunk in the wash.”
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 06:02 AM   #123
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by asu-indian View Post
Sorry but if there is a judge involved, I'm out. Gymnastics, iceskating and beauty pageants are not sports or competitions to me. When opinions are involved, and the winner is determined by that, it's subjective. I'm not saying that the participants are not super athletic and are not great to watch, but it's just not worthy of the Olympics, IMO.
I agree. Look at the Miss Nevada pageant. Transgender won. You mean to tell me a male is the best looking female had to offer? Or was it strictly politically driven?
rut-ro is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 06:20 AM   #124
Chad C
Pope & Young

That’s a wrap for her career.

Withdrawn from the all around, I'm sure she'll withdraw from the individual events.

They take the top 3 scores, she didn't want to go out and look bad, IMHO. Mental health? What kind of situation do you think the LEADER of the squad, the VETERAN, put her teammates in when she withdrew herself from competition after a ****ty vault. Come on man...

She chose to put that GOAT on her unitard.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Chad C; 07-28-2021 at 07:15 AM.
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 06:35 AM   #125
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:

Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 06:57 AM   #126
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Quote:

Some of your posts are said in the best way. You have a WAY better handle on explaining stuff than most….kudos!
Passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 07:09 AM   #127
Jon Stewart
Six Point

Fact: She quit in the middle of competition. She should never be allowed to represent America again.

Reason: She is a quitter.

Fact: I am a tad over weight, not fat, lol
Jon Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 07:11 AM   #128
c3products20
Ten Point

I see both sides of this issue. If she did withdraw simply because the pressure of her fame and stature was too much too handle, poor little cup cake..... But if she had something happen to her that traumitized her in some way and it's just now showing up or coming out, you gotta feel for her. Either way we don't have the whole story so I'm keeping my stone in my pocket, for now!
c3products20 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 07:13 AM   #129
TCB
Ten Point

I don't understand this entire generation that think it's ok to simply quit when something gets more difficult. You can look back at the US Nationals or US Olympic qualifying and see her heart wasn't into it. If she tapped out a month ago it's 1/10th the story. To quit on your team in the middle of competition sends an amazingly poor message to every person that looked up to her.

I wonder how her coaches/trainers didn't see her struggling and have a direct conversation with her.

Last edited by TCB; 07-28-2021 at 07:17 AM.
TCB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 07:15 AM   #130
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

If the mental issues were so bad why did she do all the interviews after she quit? She’s not a role model nor the goat!
CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 07:18 AM   #131
HeyMikey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria County

If she wanted to step aside, the time to do so was BEFORE the competition started. Not during. The bell rang, and she didn't answer. It's that simple......no excuse is gonna change that fact.

No matter what's going on in her head, she owed it to the team to push thru, and give it her best, because that's what real competitor's do; much less a self proclaimed GOAT.
HeyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 07:24 AM   #132
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pow Pow!

From a Hero to a Zero in 24hrs! But pretty sure she doesn't care what a bunch of hunters think about her. On to the next victim!
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 07:40 AM   #133
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Nope....but I can imagine Jabron Lames doing so.
LMAO. Or a cramp.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 07:52 AM   #134
Ætheling
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCB View Post

I wonder how her coaches/trainers didn't see her struggling and have a direct conversation with her.
You mean the same ones that turned a blind eye to all the rape and molestation?
Ætheling is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 07:54 AM   #135
Ætheling
Pope & Young

I can have compassion and sympathy for a young lady struggling mentally and at the same time have a lack of respect for someone that quits mid event on their team.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:58 AM   #136
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ætheling View Post
You mean the same ones that turned a blind eye to all the rape and molestation?

You think those are still coaching her?
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:02 AM   #137
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfEyes View Post
No kidding...
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:03 AM   #138
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfEyes View Post
When you do, you pick yourself up and get back on!
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:05 AM   #139
andre3k
Four Point

I've never put much thought into gymnastics, or any sport for that matter. She made a big girl decision and has to live with it and I'm not going to trash her for it. Why should I even care what another adult decides to do if its not effecting me?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:05 AM   #140
Ætheling
Pope & Young

I can have compassion and empathy for a young lady struggling mentally and at the same time have a lack of respect for someone that quits mid event on their team.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:07 AM   #141
Ætheling
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
You think those are still coaching her?
I hope not. Just giving a relevant real world example of how doing the right thing can be overlooked by people in those positions in the name of winning.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:08 AM   #142
tminc
Ten Point

Hunt In: burnet county,mexico

Pretty sure it's Russian colusion,and needs to b investigated by nancy and her kangaroo court immediately!
tminc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:12 AM   #143
tx_basser
Eight Point

Hunt In: Any place Public

I really hope she is ok as she could very well have some mentality stability issues with everything that is going on. We don't know what is going on in her life or what she is facing or has faced. I'm going to give her a pass until I've read or seen more.
tx_basser is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:12 AM   #144
joey1656
Ten Point

Hunt In: avoyelles parish louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ætheling View Post
I can have compassion and empathy for a young lady struggling mentally and at the same time have a lack of respect for someone that quits mid event on their team.
Yes i have compassion for her and her situation, but to say she is a hero or the goat is a joke. She is a quitter, and yes i feel bad for her.
joey1656 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:13 AM   #145
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pow Pow!

At least she didn't kneel down.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:20 AM   #146
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

The trauma could be due to systemic racism. I hear there’s a lot of that going around lately.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:21 AM   #147
mmoses
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Nope....but I can imagine Jabron Lames doing so.
Dale speaking the truth!
mmoses is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:23 AM   #148
joey1656
Ten Point

Hunt In: avoyelles parish louisiana

M16- BINGO!!!!!!!! hahahaha.
joey1656 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:24 AM   #149
Bassdeer
Ten Point

She should just come home.
Bassdeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2021, 08:27 AM   #150
SC-001
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rut-ro View Post
I agree. Look at the Miss Nevada pageant. Transgender won. You mean to tell me a male is the best looking female had to offer? Or was it strictly politically driven?
Miss Nevada is a dude?!