No announcement yet.

Ranch fairy long distance break down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My good friend went full-on into fairy land with his arrow setup. Even after watching the fairy videos, I still don't see how pushing the science that far will make you effective outside of hunting over a feeder or 30yds and under.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
      I know he posted on here for a brief period but idk how any self respecting man calls himself a fairy lol. Too much for me
      He had one agenda. To pimp his channel without a sponsorship. He ain’t got time to chat here. He’s got 65 pound hogs to blow through with mega zombie arrows. Lol

Comment

I watched the vid on THP, it was a pretty neat side by side comparison. They were borderline dry firing those high poundage bows.

Comment

Simple Trajectory stuff. Today I built two sets of arrows, one set at 652 gr 249 fps and one set at 395 gr at 314 fps. All arrows are tuned and sighted in to the same bow. The vertical example is the...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
            awesome. I am at 615gr. My pins are 30-70. My bow is ChillX 29.5 DL turned all the way up. I have a big target and have flags from 20-80 yards in the ground. I sight in my pins. I practice. I randomly walk between pins.... say somewhere between 50-60....estimate where I am and shoot. it is not hard. I hunt out west and take long shots. I ALWAYS range a bush a rock or a tree. It is not hard to judge at this point when an animal walks between the what I have measured. plenty of animals die this way. I also have shot to measure error...say 40 yard pin on a 50 yard target. its not that bad. What is the point of seeing what a 30 yard pin does at 60 yards?? I remember when 225 was a blistering fast bow. Practice more if you want to go heavier. to each his own.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Tom; 07-20-2021, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
              awesome. I am at 615gr. My pins are 30-70. My bow is ChillX 29.5 DL turned all the way up. I have a big target and have flags from 20-80 yards in the ground. I sight in my pins. I practice. I randomly walk between pins.... say somewhere between 50-60....estimate where I am and shoot. it is not hard. I hunt out west and take long shots. I ALWAYS range a bush a rock or a tree. It is not hard to judge at this point when an animal walks between the what I have measured. plenty of animals die this way. I also have shot to measure error...say 40 yard pin on a 50 yard target. its not that bad. What is the point of seeing what a 30 yard pin does at 60 yards?? I remember when 225 was a blistering fast bow. Practice more if you want to go heavier. to each his own.

[ATTACH]1056262[/ATTACH]

The point is when your off 1 yard at 50 it’s the difference between killing the animal and missing.

It’s hard to judge within a yard all the time. Zero reason to shoot 600 grains when a 425-500 grain arrow will blow through any animal we have in North America. You can’t pass through something you miss

Comment

[QUOTE=JTeLarkin08;15711060]The point is when your off 1 yard at 50 it’s the difference between killing the animal and missing.

It’s hard to judge within a yard all the time. Zero reason to shoot 600 grains when a 425-500 grain arrow will blow through any animal we have in North America. You can’t pass through something you miss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

with my setup I do not believe 1 yard is a miss......I have to get ready for Utah NOW and will update with a shot or two. I think 5 yards may be 5" at that distance...dont quote me on that but I will post this week. My range is at work so will test.

I am heavy because heavy works best in the wind. My setup is as a thin arrow and my fletching is as low of a profile as I can get. lighter arrows whip around in the wind. Heavy FOC is like chunking a spear. I have 0° helical on my fletching and can shoot well without fletching at all....I dont, of course but none the less high FOC works. Empirical data is what I go by.
                Last edited by Tom; 07-20-2021, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Tom, I would be surprised if at 50yds, its just 5" per yard of trajectory. That is still a lot. On a elk it may not be a big difference, but a Muley or Whitetail...that's a miss or a very low hit. Im interested on what you post.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                    Tom, I would be surprised if at 50yds, its just 5" per yard of trajectory. That is still a lot. On a elk it may not be a big difference, but a Muley or Whitetail...that's a miss or a very low hit. Im interested on what you post.
                    I will post. I honestly cannot recall. I did not hunt or shoot since 2019 (Covid BS) but it really is not a issue that has stood out to me. Even when I was light I was at 460gr. I have my setup dialed in for the wind. I am not all worked up about a formula or what will do the job on any animal on the continent or anything like that. Heavy, High FOC, thin arrow and low profile vanes with minimal helical will fly the best in the wind. I don't have a lot wind here in the pines and when I get to where I hunt every year in NE Utah there is an abundance. Plain and simple this setup works. You can shoot your "what will do the job around here" and if you shoot it in high wind it will whip around. High FOC is key....just my experience. I do what works for me. I have a pile of Elk. None of them got away from the arrow even out to 64 yards. The Elk never asked me if I was dialed in for KE or Momentum.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                      actually I think it is 5" for 5 yards....but we will see soon. I could be way off. It could be 8"
                      Last edited by Tom; 07-23-2021, 09:21 PM.

Comment

there is a lot of misinformation and feel good about any set up that anyone uses.

if you look at a standard archery calculator.....keeping in mind that this is a guideline and does not cover all variables.

a bow that shoots 300 FPS with a 425gr arrow will drop 20" between 40-50 yards

a bow that shoots 260 FPS with a 600gr arrow will drop 25" between 40-50 yards.

300 FPS is no magical number. so the difference at a 5 yard error plus or minus is in the 2.5" range difference in error.

learn to judge distance and do what works for you.

Comment

Shot 652 grain 249 fps set of arrows from 30 yards with 30 yard mark then shot from 35 and left the sight the same top left. Did the same with my arrows currently 454 grain 295 fps, top right. Then...

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                            Looks about right. from his current hunting setup to a very heavy setup at this range has an error difference of 2.9".

Hunt with what you want to hunt with and I will as well. I have never tried to convince anyone to use my setup and honestly I am not concerned with what someone else is using. I only hunt out West, Africa or Alaska with a bow and what works best for me....what I have actually played around with is my current setup. My sitting in a popup days are over at the moment and I have my setup dialed in.

shoot 40 yards in a strong crosswind and play around with TAW, FOC vane profile and shaft diameter until you see what works best. happy hunting

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                              I will post. I honestly cannot recall. I did not hunt or shoot since 2019 (Covid BS) but it really is not a issue that has stood out to me. Even when I was light I was at 460gr. I have my setup dialed in for the wind. I am not all worked up about a formula or what will do the job on any animal on the continent or anything like that. Heavy, High FOC, thin arrow and low profile vanes with minimal helical will fly the best in the wind. I don't have a lot wind here in the pines and when I get to where I hunt every year in NE Utah there is an abundance. Plain and simple this setup works. You can shoot your "what will do the job around here" and if you shoot it in high wind it will whip around. High FOC is key....just my experience. I do what works for me. I have a pile of Elk. None of them got away from the arrow even out to 64 yards. The Elk never asked me if I was dialed in for KE or Momentum.
                              Excellent info. I have been kicking around changing arrows since I went down in poundage. Probably gonna stay where Im at.
                              Yeah, deer don't care about KE or Momentum either.
                              I guess you go next month for Elk?

Comment

interesting

Comment

Working...
                                X