Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
    same sizes everytime?

get some mdf templates, get close with the jig saw and use a flush trim router bit.

or a better jigsaw and blades. not all jigs saws are created equal.
    I second this ... I made skull plaques like this, for years.

Comment

Router. As some mentioned, make templates, get a close cut and finish with a router for smooth cut.

Comment

You might try Woodcraft for help and recommendations on how to cut 1/2 poly. I’ve gotten good advice on my projects from the store here in Austin. If you like working with wood you will like Woodcraft of Richmond, VA.

804-355-3945 Fax:804-355-2532
        Email:richmond-retail@woodcraft.com
        9862 West Broad Street
        Glen Allen, VA 23060

Visit Woodcraft in Richmond to find the right woodworking tools & supplies for your next project, or to find woodworking classes and events near you!

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
          I second this ... I made skull plaques like this, for years.
          Originally posted by TradHunter View Post
          Router. As some mentioned, make templates, get a close cut and finish with a router for smooth cut.
          Ill look into the router bit. I do have a router table. I can't make templates though, as the pieces are usually never the same.

Originally posted by Beleg View Post
          You might try Woodcraft for help and recommendations on how to cut 1/2 poly. I’ve gotten good advice on my projects from the store here in Austin. If you like working with wood you will like Woodcraft of Richmond, VA.

804-355-3945 Fax:804-355-2532
          Email:richmond-retail@woodcraft.com
          9862 West Broad Street
          Glen Allen, VA 23060

https://www.woodcraft.com/stores/richmond
          Thank you. Greatly appreciate the info and link / contact information. I'll look into that.

All the best,
          Glenn

Comment

Update on this post:
            I bought specialty Bosch and DeWalt blades for cutting this stuff.

The Bosch blades sucked, big time. They were noted as "perfect" for this type of stuff due to the reverse tooth design. They weren't. They chattered and bounced all over the place. The only way to get them to cut was to get the saw up to full power and never let off on the trigger one bit. The minute you let off, the slower blade would catch on the material and chatter like crazy.

The DeWalt scrolling blades, however, are some of the smoothest, best cutting jigsaw blades I've ever used - on anything. They cut a beautiful line in this poly material and allowed nice tight curves and corners. Absolutely love them for this type of material.

I did as recommended, and cut close to the line, and then used my belt sander to smooth and get exactly to my line. The end result was exactly what I was looking for. Looks very nice.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think these new blades and the belt sander are going to do the trick for this material for all future projects.

All the best,
            Glenn

Comment

If you are sanding a lot get one of these. It will bring back paper you thought was trash.

Comment

Working...
              X