Bore cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bore cleaning

After you clean your barrel and think you have it absolutely clean you may be surprised what is left behind. Copper fouling is easy to remove compared to carbon. When carbon is heated and under enough pressure you get diamonds.
    Carbon fouling in your bore is not as hard as a diamond but it is much harder than the copper fouling after a time especially if you are running max pressure loads and heating the barrel up real hot. One thing I use to cut thru and get the carbon out is Simichrome. Same stuff you polish those high dollar gold plated 24" rims with. A little bit goes a long way and you might just be surprised at the results especially bringing back the accuracy you once had.
    The blue patches are Sweets 7.62 to wet the bore and then I ran thru a few patches with Simichrome on it to start cutting thru the carbon. This is from a Savage .308 5R barrel that has only had about 200 rounds thru it. I'm soaking the barrel again in Sweets and will run another dozen or so dry patches thru until no more residue and then a light oiling. I like Rem Oil for my barrels.
    Attached Files

I'm guessing that's similar to JB's Bore Paste.

Comment

Sweets 7.62 has ammonia in it so don't leave it in the barrel very long. As you can see it doesn't have much affect on the carbon but does a great job on copper.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
        I'm guessing that's similar to JB's Bore Paste.
        I think it's less abrasive. Feels smoother to the touch. Not as gritty feeling as JB. And a lot cheaper. One tube has lasted me over 20 years and still 3/4 full.

Comment

BTW this is all from Varget powder

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
            Sweets 7.62 has ammonia in it so don't leave it in the barrel very long. As you can see it doesn't have much affect on the carbon but does a great job on copper.
            Yes this! Also not for use in stainless barrels! Do not soak and walk away from it!

Comment

Use CLR cleaner (Find in the plumbing isle at Lowes) to cut through carbon. Nothing else works as well for carbon. I then follow up with Boretech.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                Yes this! Also not for use in stainless barrels! Do not soak and walk away from it!
                Why can't you use it in a stainless barrel? I've never heard that before and am curious. I've used it on a stainless Browning A-Bolt and a Remington 700 Ti and have never had an issue, but i only let it soak for about 5 minutes. I don't use it any more because it's water based. I use Montana Extreme Copper killer now and have been very pleased.

For carbon build up I use JB bore paste.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                  Use CLR cleaner (Find in the plumbing isle at Lowes) to cut through carbon. Nothing else works as well for carbon. I then follow up with Boretech.

When this guy talks guns I listen

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xte_pf3ZhsA"]Best Carbon Cleaner I have found - CLR - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Never heard of using clr. Gonna give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                      Why can't you use it in a stainless barrel? I've never heard that before and am curious. I've used it on a stainless Browning A-Bolt and a Remington 700 Ti and have never had an issue, but i only let it soak for about 5 minutes. I don't use it any more because it's water based. I use Montana Extreme Copper killer now and have been very pleased.

For carbon build up I use JB bore paste.
                      Well…. This was information I received from Br shooters at PSC 20 yrs ago, so I’ve stuck with it But since you asked this question I researched it and it seems to be a myth… ! The thoughts are that whomever messed their barrel up may have been using the Sweets in conjunction with another solvent and may have created a chemical reaction.

Sorry for the bad info.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                        Never heard of using clr. Gonna give it a try.
                        Me too. Never hurts to learn more stuff.
                        I'm going to use it on 2 barrels I have already cleaned with the Simichrome and see if I get more carbon out. I'll plug the barrels and fill the bores and let em sit a while to see what happens when I pour the CLR into a cup.

Comment

Copper fouling and carbon fouling can be layered so once you get thru one you have to go after the other. Hardened carbon near the throat will get copper fouled and then repeated with more carbon layer as chamber pressures rise. That's where the highest heat is and where carbon gets the hardest. It's not diamond yet but is really hard to remove. If CLR does what the video shows then removing the layered fouling will become easier. I'm also guessing the CLR does not remove copper so I would still need to go after that with Sweets or some other copper solvent which might get me back down to another layer of carbon. Glad I don't have a real job so I can research these things

Comment

CLR… Crazy stuff! I have just the pistol to try it on.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post

When this guy talks guns I listen

Best Carbon Cleaner I have found - CLR - YouTube
                              One of the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X