Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on construction science degree - what school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of us are doing what we thought we wanted to do at age 16 for rest of our life?

Apply into Texas A&M poultry science program or another major with easier requirements. Then transfer after one year to construction science if he’s set on that major.

That doesn’t work, go to blinn or any community college for a year or two and then apply into A&M.
    Figure out how to get into A&M. Most kids change majors multiple times. Unless you are becoming a doctor, lawyer or something that requires that specific degree don’t worry too much about what the name of your degree is on your diploma.

My degree is in Agriculture Leadership and Development. Been in Industrial Distribution since graduating over 10 years ago.

The Aggie network and Ring is what he needs in the long run, not the specific title of what he graduated with at 22 years old. Followed by experience in whatever field he decided to do.

Look at this thread or any other. Aggies take care of Aggies. No other school has the network or loyalty we do.
    Last edited by James; 07-07-2021, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjankowski View Post
      I retired from commercial construction two years ago and worked with many project managers on site. Most of them were on site stuck behind a desk writing RFI's, change orders, pay requests. A lot of them with degrees from A&M, they knew the insides and out of computer programs, reading plans but couldn't tell you how to hold a screw when staring a three inch wood screw.
      A great way to become good with the construction science degree is to work hands on in the field while he's going to school. I spent a lot of my time as a consultant correcting engineers on why what they were proposing would not work. Degrees are a great and wonderful thing, hands on experience is priceless.
      I agree 100%. Been in construction 48 years and had to correct designers and architects screwups. Not banging on them, just most don’t have a clue on the build part.

Comment

I went to A&M and new a couple of guys that started at Tarleton and transferred into A&M in engineering. Tarleton seemed like a food way to go to me.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ776 View Post
          I have a Civil Engineering degree from A&M. I started working for an engineering firm my sophomore year in college during summers and Christmas breaks and graduated already employed full time. I luckily got called up to "the show" (real estate development company) after 3 years.

When the development door got opened to me the Civil Engineering degree was what set me apart and helped me beat the competition.

Cannot stress the value of an Engineering degree from TAMU is. One of Top civil programs around, Aggie network, 95% of Aggies staying in Texas, many different career paths (engineer, work for GC, work for subcontractor, consultant, go into technical sales) etc...

The program is brutal but if he can make it to the other side, it will pay dividends.
          I have a civil degree from A&M as well. Lots of very good advice on this thread. And I echo the urgency for hands on experience. Even amongst design engineers working from an office all day, field experience is a real difference maker. But I wanted to highlight the above quote too. That engineering degree can open doors. Especially with a PE license down the road.

There's so much school can't teach you, so much that comes with working/professional experience -whether in the field or in the office. Either degree can get you to most of the same places, the paths just may be different.

Comment

I would suggest engineering. He can still be a construction manager or superintendent with an engineering degree but he cant be an engineer with a construction degree. I personally have a construction degree from UH because I know I am not smart enough to pass the math classes.

Lastly, nothing wrong with going to community college to get some of the standard classes out of the way to save some money and mature a little more before he goes to a university. At the time I didnt realize what I was doing but going to community college first made all the difference for me.
            Last edited by Fordnandez; 07-08-2021, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X