Electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
    Lol. I did commercial work for 3 years and should have kept at it. I'd be better of their than in LE. It's the way we wired computer labs.

I had 400 amps dropped to a property. 200 for a shop (current residence with a travel trailer inside). 200 for a house when we build. I have plenty of space so I ran no more than 2 duplex plugs per circuit.

There ain't no codes or inspections here. There are pics in a DIY thread. Just because it's not the way you would do it don't make it wrong

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Code applies everywhere.

Inspections do not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      Code applies everywhere.

Inspections do not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
      Gotcha [emoji849]

Comment

Wiring a 48x96 Barndo
        Geothermal heat, 3"foam in te slab with pex heating pipes.
        18ft ceiling.
        Double RV garage bays.
        Garage will use welded tubing for structural support.
        The main house has exposed 4"x8" tubular steel trusses.

Comment

1/2 slab poured
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Arrow-Tek View Post
            Please excuse my ignorance I’ve only been a master electrician for 22 years and held a contractors license for 14 years and can’t recall ever seeing three phase power available in a residential area. I have installed a lot of phase convertors in shops in residential areas.
            Arrow-Tek, it's not that you are ignorant on the subject, you're just to young. In a lot of the high end homes, three phase was installed just for the a/c unit. I'm sure it was before your time but they use to run the three phase into a single phase panel. The high leg was connected to a "Delta Breaker".
            The last Delta Breaker I installed/ replaced was in about 1976.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
              Lol. I did commercial work for 3 years and should have kept at it. I'd be better of their than in LE.
              Not sure...I would guess your benefits and retirement are pretty sweet?
              I have made a pretty good living doing it, but my retirement is based on what I saved and 401k. Stock market tanks and I am out a bunch of money.
              I worked for the city of Conroe right out of high school. Worked there 6 years before getting into the electrical business. I ran a crew installing water and sewer lines. One of my helpers is now the director of public works and the other is the assistant director.
              I probably should of stayed...

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                Not sure...I would guess your benefits and retirement are pretty sweet?

I have made a pretty good living doing it, but my retirement is based on what I saved and 401k. Stock market tanks and I am out a bunch of money.

I worked for the city of Conroe right out of high school. Worked there 6 years before getting into the electrical business. I ran a crew installing water and sewer lines. One of my helpers is now the director of public works and the other is the assistant director.

I probably should of stayed...
                I worked for an ISD that actually worked and didn't sub out. Ran miles of conduit then filled it full of wire. I learned a lot and I'm thankful for it.

The master I worked under was a ****** which is part of the reason i left. I was 16 when I started part time and 18 when I went full. The retirement is close to where I'm at now. Technically, I could have retired by now.

Greener pastures they say

Comment

Another good one.. nearly all 30a fuses..argh
                  Will be replacing with a Sqd panel.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Heres a recent strange discovery. Apparently a squirrel felt the need to drop his trail mix down thru a weatherhead..smh
                    On top of that.. decades ago, the home owner decided to brick his house.. so the electric meter and riser conduit is embedded in the brick..cannot get to the weatherhead screws.. theyre buried in brick and cement.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                      Arrow-Tek, it's not that you are ignorant on the subject, you're just to young. In a lot of the high end homes, three phase was installed just for the a/c unit. I'm sure it was before your time but they use to run the three phase into a single phase panel. The high leg was connected to a "Delta Breaker".
                      The last Delta Breaker I installed/ replaced was in about 1976.
                      That takes it to another level. O’l boy worried about a white wire as a hot leg explain to him how to deal with high leg!

Comment

And you wonder why shat burns down!

Comment

Originally posted by Zmaxhunter View Post
                          I should apologize to Sunsethunter.. i dont mean to steal your thread.. i just love all things electrical.

Often where i am, i am the one to cut off the cities overhead supply conductors, i will rebuild the entire service and reconnect the city service, while its hot, even crimping new ics or wr connectors, as needed. Then plug in a new or existing meter.

No need to apologize to me! I was just in a bad spot and looking for help anywhere I could find it. I'm a firefighter/Paramedic and own a fence company on my off days. I know very little about electrical. Was at the cabin in Kansas that was 85 degrees with wife, dog and two teenagers. Was supposed to be an easy install of a mini split that turned into an all night affair. Ended up having an electrician look at it the next morning and the outlet a previous person installed only had 150v so the unit was throwing a low voltage code. Ran a new wiring and new breaker and she fired right up. I appreciate everyone's responses trying to help

Comment

Originally posted by Terran28 View Post
                            No, I am not. I have worked with my dad in HVAC for 30 years. Never have I EVER seen a 240 volt circuit use white/black/bare.
                            You better not talk to my water heater ... it's been wired like that since its inception!

Comment

Working...
                            X