Texas surf shark fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigdawg View Post
    The jacks are sporadic right now but will hopefully get running soon so I can get some for bait. I still have some cownose and bonita in the bait freezer from last year too.
    If you don’t mind, what is your method for catching big jacks? I havnt caught any large ones and would like to start

Comment

Originally posted by jsctx84 View Post
      If you don’t mind, what is your method for catching big jacks? I havnt caught any large ones and would like to start
      Go to the jetties on an incoming tide when the water is green its better( they site hunt) I fish the surfside jetties but you'll catch them from most of the jetties between freeport an the north jetty. I use a Diawa Saltist 5000 and a 10' rod and I sling out Spoons from 2 to 4 oz. as far as I can sling them and crank for all I'm worth. If they are running you will see the schools getting close to the rocks and then they move on and others come in from time to time. When they are schooling you will get hit hard and I mean hard and then you just gotta keep them out of the rocks. Thats why I use such a big reel, you can catch them with a smaller one but the chances of them cutting you off in the rocks increases. I like the jetties because you can walk them down when theyre schooling. It does get packed on weekends when theyre running and people are casting over each other all trying to get to them. Wear some spikes so you dont break your neck on the green carpet. take as long a gaff as you got so you can gaff them out of the water. You can catch the off the beach but its alot better on the rocks.

Comment

Has anyone used/have an opinion on the Avet MC’s? Talking about the MC’s in particular, not the larger ones.

Comment

Has anyone used/have an opinion on the Avet MC’s? Talking about the MC’s in particular, not the larger ones.
          I have one, I like it. But if your wanting casting distance, I can easily outcast it with my daiwa sealine. But if I'm tossing a heavier setup and not trying to go far, I grab my avet.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Canoe1 View Post
            I have one, I like it. But if your wanting casting distance, I can easily outcast it with my daiwa sealine. But if I'm tossing a heavier setup and not trying to go far, I grab my avet.

Yes distance is what I’m looking for currently. For the lighter setup with the distance I’m torn between the diawa and the Akios.

Comment

I stepped away from lever drags for cast out stuff. Sticking with penn fathom star drags and I like them much better so far. Also have a couple of 525’s for lighter duty and they’re awesome casters.

I’ve also switched over to longer rods for casting. My two heavy hitters right now are a 13’ custom and a 12’ 10 custom for the fathom reels. They don’t start Loading up until you get 5.5 0z of weight and a good sized bait or a solid “8 and bait” on them. Once they load up it’s all on me not to booger the cast, if I do my part they’ll out cast anything I’ve had previously with ease.

Comment

I don't have any experience with the akios, but I do know when I replaced my bearings on my sealine with some boca bearings, that thing will really get it out there. I've got it paired up on an Okuma 10' rod. It tosses a 3oz weight and bait great.

Comment

Really wanting to hit the surf for sharks more this year than I have in years passed.
                  I started out heavy in it in my early to mid twenties so I’m going on 10 or so
                  Years now of it. I’ve taken a break here or there due to life and making moves and just getting tired with it but I always manage to go back to it. I like the big game aspect of catching sharks but honestly for me the beach is one of the last few places I can get away from people and set up without having to worry about the idiot next to me. Only real negative about it lately is it’s getting a lot more popular and I fear more attention could get some backlash eventually. Time will tell.

Matagorda is my usual area but
                  I make the occasional PINS trip also when the timing is there.

Hope to see some of y’all on the sand.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
                    Really wanting to hit the surf for sharks more this year than I have in years passed.
                    I started out heavy in it in my early to mid twenties so I’m going on 10 or so
                    Years now of it. I’ve taken a break here or there due to life and making moves and just getting tired with it but I always manage to go back to it. I like the big game aspect of catching sharks but honestly for me the beach is one of the last few places I can get away from people and set up without having to worry about the idiot next to me. Only real negative about it lately is it’s getting a lot more popular and I fear more attention could get some backlash eventually. Time will tell.

Matagorda is my usual area but
                    I make the occasional PINS trip also when the timing is there.

Hope to see some of y’all on the sand.
                    Post 122 has my truck on it. The black one. Matagorda is the typical spot for us. You’ll most likely see us if you go down.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
                      I stepped away from lever drags for cast out stuff. Sticking with penn fathom star drags and I like them much better so far. Also have a couple of 525’s for lighter duty and they’re awesome casters.

I’ve also switched over to longer rods for casting. My two heavy hitters right now are a 13’ custom and a 12’ 10 custom for the fathom reels. They don’t start Loading up until you get 5.5 0z of weight and a good sized bait or a solid “8 and bait” on them. Once they load up it’s all on me not to booger the cast, if I do my part they’ll out cast anything I’ve had previously with ease.
                      I’m going to put it on a breakaway HDX 13’. I kinda want two. An MC for the heavier stuff and the Akios for a little lighter. The daiwa is tempting but I think I’d rather buy American/UK gear.

Comment

Great thread, I'm hoping I get to go to PINS this year. I've never been, but have been wanting to go fish there for a long time

Comment

I’m going to put it on a breakaway HDX 13’. I kinda want two. An MC for the heavier stuff and the Akios for a little lighter. The daiwa is tempting but I think I’d rather buy American/UK gear.
                          If I can give my opinion on Avets ( I have 10 of them) spend the extra money and get the Raptor. The drag on the Raptor is better than the single speed MC and the Raptor is MC also. If you do hook something big you will want that extra drag, the MXL Raptor I believe is like 21# at strike and 31# at full and its a 2 speed reel. The MXL MC single speed is 9# at strike and 14# at full and only single speed. I bought several single speed AVets and have sold them all after replacing them with the Raptors. I have a 9' custom surf rod and can sling 8oz weights and bait 100 yards with the MXL Raptor, Thats far enough for me where I fish. I love the Raptors JMO.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdawg View Post
                            If I can give my opinion on Avets ( I have 10 of them) spend the extra money and get the Raptor. The drag on the Raptor is better than the single speed MC and the Raptor is MC also. If you do hook something big you will want that extra drag, the MXL Raptor I believe is like 21# at strike and 31# at full and its a 2 speed reel. The MXL MC single speed is 9# at strike and 14# at full and only single speed. I bought several single speed AVets and have sold them all after replacing them with the Raptors. I have a 9' custom surf rod and can sling 8oz weights and bait 100 yards with the MXL Raptor, Thats far enough for me where I fish. I love the Raptors JMO.
                            Really good info. I was wondering what the deal was with the raptors and what made them different.

Comment

I got this Raptor a while ago. So far, I've only used it twice. My best cast has been about 100yrd with a 4oz weight and a large threadfin shad. I removed that braid and am running 150yrd fin nor braid topped with 80+yard of 40# suffix mono. I prefer mono for casting, but that's just me.
                              Set it on a 10ft Penn Prevail medium heavy rod. So far I'm liking it.
                              I'll let you know next time I hit the island and maybe you can show up and try it out

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds good^^

Comment

Working...
                                X