X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a mess

I took every precaution I could.....

I have broken stuff everywhere....

No water for 4 days....power on for 2 hours and out....was out for 28 hours in one stretch....

Well pump frozen....

Copper lines split in attic...under insulation

Furnace went out

Pool pump a d piping destroyed and was covered...

And I’m in Magnolia.....relatives in Santa Fe...have it just as bad....

Luckily I had 2 cords of firewood.....been going through it fast.....

My neighbors Sheetrock collapsed in bedroom and bath......

Crazy times

Stay safe people....and use caution with these generators.....so sad people are dying from CO poisoning trying to stay warm.....

It is bad and a lot worse than I thought it would get. The water damage is going to be catastrophic! Good luck and stay a warm as you can. The sun will be out one of these days!

Comment

Man,that's horrible..Sounds like you did all you old amigo.Went through a similar situation in 2012..My insurance company was a pretty big help.

Comment

and it’s going to be very very wet once all this starts to melt.

Comment

Can’t understand why so many builders or code allows water pipes to be in an attic. There will be hundreds of millions in damage from that one thing alone after this.
          Hang in there and best of luck

Comment

Sorry OP. Not that it helps any, but we had power out for 48 hours straight. I was warming pipes with a heat gun, kept ice out. No leaks so far thank God. I know how water damage works, it's horrible.

Comment

My attic door is in our mud room. I have left it open hoping to keep it warm enough up in the attic to keep pipes from freezing. Knock on wood, so far so good.
              My furnace quit working yesterday. Got it going this morning. Temp sensor tripped.

Comment

Pipe insulation really doesn’t do any good... leaving the water flowing both hot and cold is the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                  Can’t understand why so many builders or code allows water pipes to be in an attic. There will be hundreds of millions in damage from that one thing alone after this.
                  Because it's much easier and cheaper to put in attic. Big builders probably put pressure on Codes and Standards to allow this. They don't care about the concequences once the pipes bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard S. View Post
                    Because it's much easier and cheaper to put in attic. Big builders probably put pressure on Codes and Standards to allow this. They don't care about the concequences once the pipes bust.
                    I’m sure that’s right.
                    At the FD we ran over 100 calls for busted pipes with just 5 stations. The same dang apartments and businesses every freakin time it gets below freezing. Seems like while repairing the 100k in damage they would insulate the hell out of those pipes......but nope, in 20 years I have seen the same places at least every other year.
                    We don’t go to Residential pipe breaks so not sure how much of that is happening where I work

Comment

I have a neighbor who has a plumbing business who doesn't do home plumbing. He's getting calls from home service plumbers and companies wanting to subcontract him for a huge amount of money, said he can't help. His guys are working 24X7 to fix commercial plumbing issues.

Comment

Am I remembering correctly? Did Austin mandate overhead fire sprinklers in houses over a certain sq footage a few years back?
                        Just have heard of a ton of people having these freeze up and flood their houses.

Comment

^
                          You would think insurance companies would have got with code officials regarding this.

Comment

I’m sure that’s right.
                            At the FD we ran over 100 calls for busted pipes with just 5 stations. The same dang apartments and businesses every freakin time it gets below freezing. Seems like while repairing the 100k in damage they would insulate the hell out of those pipes......but nope, in 20 years I have seen the same places at least every other year.
                            We don’t go to Residential pipe breaks so not sure how much of that is happening where I work
                            Curious what y’all do to help with busted lines? I appreciate that y’all help! Just curious as I didn’t know the FD assisted with that.

Comment

Right there with ya bud hang in there

Comment

Working...
                              X