No announcement yet.

300wm, 7mag or 30-06?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go with the caliber that best suits the overwhelming majority of your hunting/shooting.
    In this case a Whitetail caliber, If you end up hunting Moose or brown bears down the road a suitable caliber for those adventures will be the least of your worries.

Comment

Of the calibers listed. 7 Mag
      Of the calibers not listed. 6.5 PRC, 280AI, or 7STW

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
        boy ?
        panties ?

you don't know me DUDE!

original op asked what the best caliber would be for him hunting in TX ..
        i offered my opinion based on a 100lbs texas deer ... he wanted to know what he would be happy with ... the caliber / ammo combinations i suggested are better suited for the size animal he will hunt 99.99% of the time ...

so i'm not pissing on his thread ... just offering options i believe he will enjoy more and will be more effective on texas size deer ...

if he lived in elk country , i would totally agree with those calibers...
        so keep calling names.. it just shows how little you actually know.
        He wasn't being hostile lol... mix in some decaf.

Comment

no one really wants to shoot a .300 or 7 Mag a whole lot anyway. Stick with the .06 and you can kill anything in N. America effectively and most other places.
          Enough said.

Comment

Of those three, the .30/06.

Comment

I personally would buy a 300 prc. if considering bigger animals. Or 6.5 prc if just hunting white tails ( but would suffice for elk also )

Comment

Lots of really good feedback. I certainly appreciate it. Since this is going to be a classic build, I’m going to stick with the most classic caliber that I listed, the 30-06.

Comment

Originally posted by LHPanther View Post
                  Lots of really good feedback. I certainly appreciate it. Since this is going to be a classic build, I’m going to stick with the most classic caliber that I listed, the 30-06.
                  good choice ! if you get to pick your rifling twist i would try to find what ever makes the 165 gr bullets fly best,,, not a far move to 150 or 180,,, more likely to have more options that shoot very well

Comment

Good deal. Thanks for the update.

Comment

300 WM and don’t look back! Neck shot the white tails and no loss of meat but dead right there! Most high end rifles have stocks and nice recoil pads on them that in combination reduce felt recoil! You’ll get the same recoil from the 06 and 7 mag grain for grain!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        Hello. My name is Matt. I have a little peepee so I shoot magnum rifles.

Sorry you can’t handle the recoil. They aren’t for everyone
                        Bwahahahaha! I just blew snot out of my nose

Comment

I've got a .300win Mag and a 7mm Mag...haven't shot either yet. But I've shot my friends .300 and the recoil isn't bad and I'm a medium frame guy. If I were having a custom built, I'd get the .300 Win mag.

You can always go to Academy and get a Savage .30-06 for less than $375 bucks as a solid daily deer killer. Even after buying expensive guns, my Savage is an absolute pleasure to shoot.

Comment

For what you’re hunting and out of your options stick with the 30-06. I’m partial to a 270win myself and have killed many large animals with it.

Comment

7mm-08

Comment

I don’t think that anyone has mentioned that the 7 mag sizzles and even if you load it down and shoot a whitetail inside of 150 yds and do not hit bone the bullet often will have No expansion!

Comment

Working...
                                X