Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My MIL keeps a lot!

Comment

I had some free hives given to me. I finally got to inspect them today....man what a mess! One hive, a 10 frame, only had 5 or 6 frames, 3 of them were at an angle and the gaps were filled up with comb....I just left it that way and put a new brood box on top. Lots of brood and some honey.

The other hive had 3 frames of bees with good amount of brood and some honey. Cleaned up the empty frames and left it as is....will recheck in May.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
        I had some free hives given to me. I finally got to inspect them today....man what a mess! One hive, a 10 frame, only had 5 or 6 frames, 3 of them were at an angle and the gaps were filled up with comb....I just left it that way and put a new brood box on top. Lots of brood and some honey.

The other hive had 3 frames of bees with good amount of brood and some honey. Cleaned up the empty frames and left it as is....will recheck in May.
        Crosscombed can be solved by flipping the box upside down and cutting all the comb attachments from the box and lifting the box off. Then the frames are much easier to cut out.

Comment

Oh son, this was way worse than cross comb. This was essentially the whole hive.

Comment

Made 15 splits this week, will make about 40 more in the upcoming couple of weeks. Bees are getting pretty busy and is cutting into my turkey killing time.....

Comment

Got a removal scheduled for Wednesday....so looking forward to it

Comment

Had a Beekeeper come set up 6 hives this past weekend on my property out back. He needs a place to put bees and I need bees for a few benefits.

1. Pollination help in the garden.

2. 6 out of my 7.5 acres homestead will now be going to ag exempt after the 5 years. I wish I had done this years ago.

3. A jar of honey every once in awhile.

Interesting thing is that the beekeeper isn't doing it for honey production but for the harvesting of queens. Apparently he has some crossbreed of bees/queens that are better for the Texas climate. He gets the queens and some bees and resells them.

Comment

Alright, I’m in the game! Installed two nucs today, put in some 1:1 feed in the tops to help them draw out the remaining frames in the deep. Will be anxious to get back in and take a look in a week or two!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

anytime we install bees from a trap or swarm, we put them in jail. Queen excluder at the entrance or on top of the bottom board, just to make sure the queen does do leave. It hurts to install some bees one day and they are gone the next. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferg View Post
                      anytime we install bees from a trap or swarm, we put them in jail. Queen excluder at the entrance or on top of the bottom board, just to make sure the queen does do leave. It hurts to install some bees one day and they are gone the next. Good luck.
                      Yep, especially with cut outs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferg View Post
                        Great idea. I’ve lost quite a few swarms, or cutouts due to not locking in the queen.

Comment

Is there any beekeepers from Kerr county here? Is so pm me. I’d like to talk to you about putting some bees on my place in Mountain Home if I can get an Ag exemption started. Will take me five years I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by jay07ag View Post

Alright, I’m in the game! Installed two nucs today, put in some 1:1 feed in the tops to help them draw out the remaining frames in the deep. Will be anxious to get back in and take a look in a week or two!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Nice! Where did you get those Brood Boxes?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                              Nice! Where did you get those Brood Boxes?
                              I bought them from a lady nearby...and I just ordered a few more boxes (2 Deeps and 2 Mediums, with frames) from their website. I really like them, they are dipped in beeswax, so no paint needed.

Within the beekeeping industry, this beehive is known as "The Gold Standard" and it is by far the most sold beehive setup. Delicately detailed with durable dovetail joints this hive will stay perfectly square for many years to come. Inside the hive, your queen will have free reign over the two wax-coated brood boxes below, while your worker bees crown your hive with a sweet layer of honey. See below for details and measurements. Shop Galena Farms Shop on Amazon Shop Wholesale

Comment

Picked up this swarm from a woman who lives about a mile from me in Houston. Her granddaughter saw the swarm on Easter, and I came over on Sunday evening. Didn't have a ladder tall enough, so I used her extension cord to 'lasso' for lack of a better term the limb they were on, and pulled it down to reach the branch they were all clustered to. Of course it broke, and all the bees fell on her roof. I'm on my hands and knees with my phone flashlight trying to find the queen because I ran out of daylight. By the grace of God, I find her, and sprayed a few shots of Swarm Lure in the empty box, and they marched right in. I came and got them on Monday after work. The queen was unmarked, and I have already had to give them another super because they are filling up the bottom box already. I mowed next to them and they couldn't care less. I did it for free, because her husband has Stage 4 colon cancer, and I like to pay it forward. Very happy with these feral bees!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X