Smoking Clothes and Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Clothes and Elk

A couple of years ago I started smoking my camo with live oak since that's predominant around our lease. Only busted once since I started doing that. Hunting Montana for elk this fall and was wondering if any of yall have tried that in the elk woods with whatever is growing in said woods? I know we will definitely still have to play the wind.

Trying it again.

Comment

Been doing that for nearly 30yrs in CO.
      We always sit around the campfire for hrs at a time.
      Also, Elk are dumb, they just live in crazy terrain.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
        Also, Elk are dumb.
        Really?

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
          Really?
          As a rock

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
            As a rock
            Their nose isn't dumb. You can fool an elk a lot of ways. But you better not try to fool their nose or it won't end well for the hunter. Keep the wind in your face and you have a chance.

Comment

Usually I'm so dang sweaty from climbing up a mountain, no amount of smoke is going to cover up my smell. Especially after 3 or 4 days of no shower and climbing the mountain sides.

Which is why you play the wind.

Comment

I agree with LWC but if you're hunting near or in a burned area it would be great cover scent for your clothing. Your body is still going to smell like you though.

Worst feeling ever, the wind hitting the back of your neck with a good bull coming in. They're sneaky, quite coming in but one bull can sound like a whole herd running away.

LWC gave good advice, keep the wind in your face.

Comment

You are elk hunting. You will stink- you will be sweating- your cloths will stink like campfire and everything else. Just hunt the wind or you loose. You aint gonna fool a 4 legged animal on the ground without playing the wind right

Comment

Ain't none of you people ever used them solar showers and some fresh creek water. Human stink is the worst. Just bring a bar a scent free soap.

Comment

yeah you have to play the wind for sure... understanding thermals is a must for each hunt... I guess I need to find out where the dumb bulls hang out... seems like the ones I hunt have been educated well!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JB_Archery View Post
                        yeah you have to play the wind for sure... understanding thermals is a must for each hunt... I guess I need to find out where the dumb bulls hang out... seems like the ones I hunt have been educated well!!!
                        Throw a rock out west, you'll hit one .

Comment

Working...
                        X