No announcement yet.

Big CWD press release coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy to prove that It isn’t as simple as a phone call to change an agency’s regulatory methods?

I think that’s pretty obvious, but that’s what you are saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
      Easy to prove that It isn’t as simple as a phone call to change an agency’s regulatory methods?

I think that’s pretty obvious, but that’s what you are saying.
      Question. Do you think TPWD even cares to handle the exotic issue regarding CWD? I believe they felt they had done enough to add testing to certain counties and breeders.

Since then they have done little to nothing to make a difference. I am not saying CWD is over blown and nothing. I have always felt more needed to be done if its as bad as they say. I think they have done as little as possible and targeted breeders along the way. They seemed pretty pumped once the first breeder facility had a positive. They never worried about all the deer or elk that had tested positive in West Texas and panhandle.

I feelntge state took a less than half axx approach to the whole deal and haven't changed since. I'm fine with breeders being over tested. I'm not fine with breeders being over tested/regulated and little else being done. I don't own a breeding facility nor do I know anyone that does.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
        You spout a lot of opinion about this but what are your credentials that make you an expert? Or are you just another blow hard know it all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
        I never said I was an expert and did not know I need credentials to post on this site. It seems it would be pretty easy to prove my opinion wrong. Yes its just an opinion but I feel pretty confident in what I've stated. You are more than welcome to research for yourself and join the conversation.

Question. Do you think TPWD even cares to handle the exotic issue regarding CWD? I believe they felt they had done enough to add testing to certain counties and breeders.

Since then they have done little to nothing to make a difference. I am not saying CWD is over blown and nothing. I have always felt more needed to be done if its as bad as they say. I think they have done as little as possible and targeted breeders along the way. They seemed pretty pumped once the first breeder facility had a positive. They never worried about all the deer or elk that had tested positive in West Texas and panhandle.

I feelntge state took a less than half axx approach to the whole deal and haven't changed since. I'm fine with breeders being over tested. I'm not fine with breeders being over tested/regulated and little else being done. I don't own a breeding facility nor do I know anyone that does.
        What you are saying has no basis in reality. TPWD CAN’T do anything about the exotic issue. They are regulated by a separate agency.

Done little to nothing? Good grief. The way you “feel” isn’t affirmed by the facts.

Comment

There really isn’t anything anyone can do about cwd in the wild. It’s about controlling the spread. What would take a 100 years naturally could be done with infected deer in a trailer in a couple of hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
            What you are saying has no basis in reality. TPWD CAN’T do anything about the exotic issue. They are regulated by a separate agency.

Done little to nothing? Good grief. The way you “feel” isn’t affirmed by the facts.
            I'm not talking exotics. That is one small facet. They could have really done testing across the state. Require processing facilities to share in some regulations regarding CWD. They had many options to regulate if it was really as bad as they say. They chose the route they had a bullseye on and went that route. Much of this could have been done 10 years ago when the first cases were found in the state. I'm not sure why you are defending them if CWD is such a big deal. They have done very little to stop the spread.

You pride your ranch for native genetics. Which you should. I'd rather hunt your place than just about any other in the state, especially any non native genetic place. You can't really think what TPWD did on CWD was effective any any aspect outside of costing breeders. Which im fine with. I just don't think it really stops the spread of CWD. It doesn't hurt but they did about 10% of what they needed and you and other patted them on the back.

Do you think TPWD did all the could for stopping the spread of CWD in Texas?

Do you think what they did was in the best interest of native animals to Texas?
            Last edited by Take Dead Aim; 03-30-2021, 09:55 PM.

Comment

I'm not talking exotics. That is one small facet. They could have really done testing across the state. Require processing facilities to share in some regulations regarding CWD. They had many options to regulate if it was really as bad as they say. They chose the route they had a bullseye on and went that route. Much of this could have been done 10 years ago when the first cases were found in the state. I'm not sure why you are defending them if CWD is such a big deal. They have done very little to stop the spread.

You pride your ranch for native genetics. Which you should. I'd rather hunt your place than just about any other in the state, especially any non native genetic place. You can't really think what TPWD did on CWD was effective any any aspect outside of costing breeders. Which im fine with. I just don't think it really stops the spread of CWD. It doesn't hurt but they did about 10% of what they needed and you and other patted them on the back.

Do you think TPWD did all the could for stopping the spread of CWD in Texas?

Do you think what they did was in the best interest of native animals to Texas?
              Their hands were tied for years due to so much pushback from guys like yourself. Nobody wanted to cooperate, hell I don't even want to cooperate now and I hunt in a controlled zone.

Comment

I never said I was an expert and did not know I need credentials to post on this site. It seems it would be pretty easy to prove my opinion wrong. Yes its just an opinion but I feel pretty confident in what I've stated. You are more than welcome to research for yourself and join the conversation.

I have and have a lot of knowledge about the subject. There are many unknowns and also many facts about the issues it is causing in other states like Wyoming.
                The natural cases in Mule deer are in two small areas of the state and came from deer in New Mexico naturally spreading it.

The whitetail that have had it have all been traced back to breeder facilities that imported deer for other states that had positive deer.

The fact is now that it is here!!
                Every hunter needs to educate themselves on disposal and transportation of deer carcasses.

It is already hurting hunting in Texas and if the the field research is correct in Wyoming it can deplete the herd to a less than sustainable level long term.

States like Wisconsin have seen a large decline in mature quality deer in areas where CWD is prevalent.

Instead of throwing out your theory and blaming everything on someone else or so agency, grow up and be part of the solution!

Comment

gtsticker it will not deplete herds levels to unsustainable levels.
                  That paper published bases that assumption on models.
                  We know most of the guys personally that wrote that paper. They do not believe that the deer herd would become extinct without CWD management.

Comment

My deer I shot in Van Zandt County 2 years ago got tested. Don't know the results. The State Biologist was at the processors when I got there. She asked if she could take the lymph nodes. I said yes.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                      I have and have a lot of knowledge about the subject. There are many unknowns and also many facts about the issues it is causing in other states like Wyoming.
                      The natural cases in Mule deer are in two small areas of the state and came from deer in New Mexico naturally spreading it.

The whitetail that have had it have all been traced back to breeder facilities that imported deer for other states that had positive deer.

The fact is now that it is here!!
                      Every hunter needs to educate themselves on disposal and transportation of deer carcasses.

It is already hurting hunting in Texas and if the the field research is correct in Wyoming it can deplete the herd to a less than sustainable level long term.

States like Wisconsin have seen a large decline in mature quality deer in areas where CWD is prevalent.

Instead of throwing out your theory and blaming everything on someone else or so agency, grow up and be part of the solution!

Thanks for you advise. I'm more involved than most. I was the the Hueco Tank site when they killed the first CWD positive deer. I've been on site when two CWD positive native elk were killed in panhandle. I've helped with testing of over 100 mule deer. What else should I do to make you happy? I have first hand knowledge of the politics behind how this was handled. Like most govt agencies it was not dealt with in a smart manner. Yes that is just my opinion and probably not worth a penny to you. My opinion may turn out wrong and the state made all the right moves. Time will only tell. All that said I have been involved and hoping this passes without any major side effects to the deer population.

Comment

Thanks for you advise. I'm more involved than most. I was the the Hueco Tank site when they killed the first CWD positive deer. I've been on site when two CWD positive native elk were killed in panhandle. I've helped with testing of over 100 mule deer. What else should I do to make you happy? I have first hand knowledge of the politics behind how this was handled. Like most govt agencies it was not dealt with in a smart manner. Yes that is just my opinion and probably not worth a penny to you. My opinion may turn out wrong and the state made all the right moves. Time will only tell. All that said I have been involved and hoping this passes without any major side effects to the deer population.
                        Would you still eat a deer if it came back positive for CWD?

Comment

No. Not becuase I know it will cause issues with me because I don't. Just why risk it. I can go shoot another deer that doesn't have CWD.

Comment

Wheres the press release, I've heard nothing about this?

Comment

No. Not becuase I know it will cause issues with me because I don't. Just why risk it. I can go shoot another deer that doesn't have CWD.
                              Yeah that's what I figured.

Comment

Chronic Wasting Disease Discovered at Deer Breeding Facilities in Hunt and Uvalde Counties
                                March 31, 2021
                                Media Contact: TPWD News, Business Hours, 512-389-8030
                                News Image Share on Facebook Share Release URL

AUSTIN – Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) has been discovered in deer breeding facilities in both Hunt and Uvalde counties. This marks the first positive detection of the disease in Hunt County.

The tissue samples were submitted by the deer breeding facilities as part of required CWD surveillance programs. The samples indicated the presence of CWD during testing at the Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (TVMDL) in College Station on March 23 for the Uvalde County facility. Samples indicated the presence of CWD during testing at the TVMDL on March 24 for the Hunt County facility. The National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Ames, Iowa, has since confirmed CWD in those tissue samples, but the samples reported for Hunt County are undergoing DNA testing to confirm animal identification and origin.

*Officials have taken immediate action to secure all deer at the Uvalde County and Hunt County deer breeding facilities and plan to conduct additional investigations for CWD. In addition, other breeding facilities that received deer from these facilities or shipped deer to these facilities during the last five years are under movement restrictions and cannot move or release deer at this time.

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) and Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) are working together to determine the extent of the disease within the facilities and evaluate risks to Texas’ free ranging deer populations. Quick detection of CWD can help mitigate the disease’s spread.

“Recent CWD discoveries in new locations across the state are deeply concerning and underscore the criticality of redoubling efforts to help arrest the spread of this disease,” said Carter Smith, Executive Director of TPWD. “While it is important to realize that CWD is still not widespread in Texas, complacency is not an option. The only way to ensure we are effective in combating the further spread of CWD is with the active help of hunters, wildlife managers, deer breeders, and landowners. Clearly, it is imperative that we work together to protect our native deer populations to ensure the health and vitality of one of our state’s greatest natural resources.”

Although animal health and wildlife officials cannot determine how long or to what extent the disease has been present in these deer breeding facilities, both breeding facilities have active CWD surveillance programs with no positives detected until now.

CWD was first recognized in 1967 in captive mule deer in Colorado. CWD has also been documented in captive and/or free-ranging deer in 26 states and 3 Canadian provinces.

In Texas, the disease was first discovered in 2012 in free-ranging mule deer along a remote area of the Hueco Mountains near the Texas-New Mexico border and has since been detected in 220 captive or free-ranging cervids, including white-tailed deer, mule deer, red deer and elk in 11 Texas counties. For more information on previous detections visit the CWD page on the TPWD website.

CWD is a fatal neurological disease found in certain cervids, including deer, elk, moose and other members of the deer family. CWD is a slow and progressive disease. Due to a long incubation, cervids infected with CWD may not produce any visible signs for a number of years after becoming infected. As the disease progresses, animals with CWD show changes in behavior and appearance. Clinical signs may include, progressive weight loss, stumbling or tremors with a lack of coordination, excessive thirst, salivation or urination, loss of appetite, teeth grinding, abnormal head posture, and/or drooping ears.

“The incubation period of CWD can span years creating disease management challenges,” said Dr. Andy Schwartz, TAHC State Veterinarian. “Response staff are diligently working to address each herd affected by these new detections to manage further spread.”

To date there is no evidence that CWD poses a risk to humans or non-cervids. However, as a precaution, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization recommend not to consume meat from infected animals.

For more information about CWD, visit the TPWD web site or the TAHC web site.

Comment

Working...
                                X