No announcement yet.

Drift trike build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turned out awesome. Can't wait to see it polished up.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hat's off to you sir!! What an awesome project for you and your boy!! He will NEVER forget that first spin!! That thing is just plain cool looking and just oozes fun!!
      Again, Congratulations on a cool "tryke"!! ...MUCH cooler than just a plain ol go-kart!!

Comment

Great build! Been waiting all weekend to see if you got it done. Nice job sir!

I concur with RTP. You need a chain-guard covering that chain and sprocket. If someone were to somehow get a finger in there, it would whack it off just like a table saw with a coarse blade. I cut 3 of mine half off with a simple electric motor and smooth pully/belt system one time. The motor temp stopped and I put my fingers under the belt, and it moved and took my hand with it. Took forever to heal.

Saw your son grab the belt in that second video. And thought "NO! Don't hit the gas!". Scared me to death!
        Last edited by Texas Grown; 03-21-2021, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Need some good brakes on the front end because those sleeves are not going to do anything but slide

Congrats on the build, looks like success

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
            Great build! Been waiting all weekend to see if you got it done. Nice job sir!

I concur with RTP. You need a chain-guard covering that chain and sprocket. If someone were to somehow get a finger in there, it would whack it off just like a table saw with a coarse blade. I cut 3 of mine half off with a simple electric motor and smooth pully/belt system one time. The motor temp stopped and I put my fingers under the belt, and it moved and took my hand with it. Took forever to heal.

Saw your son grab the belt in that second video. And thought "NO! Don't hit the gas!". Scared me to death!

Thanks! I may try doing a guard out of diamond plate. I’ve got a plasma to cut it with, and a spoolgun and tank of argon I havent gotten around to using. Perfect excuse to learn to weld aluminum.

My son was reaching back to hit the kill switch at the end of the video. His hand wasn’t near the chain, but your warning is well received. I’m going to move the kill switch to the front of the bike for safety and so that nobody needs to reach back at an off angle to kill the engine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              Hat's off to you sir!! What an awesome project for you and your boy!! He will NEVER forget that first spin!! That thing is just plain cool looking and just oozes fun!!
              Again, Congratulations on a cool "tryke"!! ...MUCH cooler than just a plain ol go-kart!!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

That's awesome! Great job!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Great job! Loved following along

Comment

Any updates? Gotta be some cool video you can share!!

Comment

This thing is awesome! Any videos?

Comment

Originally posted by 1sickLT1 View Post
                        This thing is awesome! Any videos?

See post 89...

Comment

You did it...............

Comment

With school and weather and leaving to camp for the weekend not too much as far as updates. We rode it Thursday night up at the school. Kept killing the engine in a slide due to the low oil sensor. So that’s coming off. Other than that no issues. While at the school the police came by. For sure thought they were going to make us leave, but the boys were wearing a helmet and my son gave the officer a thumbs up as he raced by, lol.

Probably going to be after Easter before I tear it down and get it finished. Will definitely post a pic and some better video once it’s finished.

Comment

Cool deal!! When my kids were small when we lived in Kingwood, (before Bob Lanier annexed us!!) PoPo was pretty good about letting the kids be kids as long as some grown-ups were there to supervise... Had some cool go-cart rides/races at the high school!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                                Any updates? Gotta be some cool video you can share!!
                                Here you go. We disabled the low oil sensor and that made all the difference. The engine runs solid now. Next tweak though.... we stripped the headset and wore out the steering! Easy fixed I’ll just weld it to the slip tube “thingy”.

My older son has completely figured out the steering, throttle, and weight of the trike. He can pretty much power slide at will. Got a good amount of video of him today before the steering gave up.

Comment

Working...
                                X