Water Well Relief Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Well Relief Valve

My water well has a pressure relief valve located at the top of the casing where the water comes above ground. Does this really provide any useful function? After the freeze it is now leaking. I am inclined to put a plug in the outlet and move on. I tried using some big channel locks to remove it. I think the well plumber used Loctite for pipe dope. Not interested on damaging something else to fix this if it's not needed.
    Last edited by kmitchl; 03-09-2021, 01:18 PM.

I wouldn't plug it, i would think that would cause serious damage down in the hole

Mine was leaking as well, i was able to get it off and replace it.

Not a well expert, just stating my opinion, but i think that valve has a pretty important function

Comment

I would put a new one on it. It works as a safety valve in case your points do not turn the well off. It can save your pipes from busting. JMO

Comment

Mine did not seat back correctly when it finally thawed out and I had a 20 foot stream or water shooting out the wellhouse door. I turned the power off and used a flathead screw driver to jimmy it until it seated correctly. turned the power back on and it works just fine.

I had a well at another home a couple of years ago that the pressure valve would not go back in correctly no matter what. I had to have my well service come out an replace that one.

Comment

If it has a pull loop or lever, pull it wide open and let it flow a little bit. There might be trash between to disc and nozzle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bdub25 View Post
            if it has a pull loop or lever, pull it wide open and let it flow a little bit. There might be trash between to disc and nozzle

sent from my iphone using tapatalk
            this

Comment

Ace hardware has them....unscrew it and put a new one on

Comment

Working...
              X