Repair or replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repair or replace?

My radiator has a small crack on the plastic at the top. Has anybody tried using an epoxy of some sort to fix one and does it hold up? Or should I just replace the whole thing. Truck has 195,000 miles original radiator. I’ve read some JB weld reviews some say it’s great some say it won’t hold.

What kinda vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
      What kinda vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Guess that may help. 2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 Diesel

Comment

In to watch

Comment

Replace it, the plastic gets brittle, after years of getting hot. You can try to glue it or JB Weld, ect., it may hold for short time, but it won't take long for it to leak again, if you get it to seal up initially.

Comment

I know exactly which part you are referring to. I had a 99 that got the same leak. JB weld didn’t work. Found a marine grade epoxy that held me over. Never felt comfortable with it, but it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Being stranded SUCKS. I’d personally fix it

Band aids always fall off at the worst times

Comment

I agree it needs to be replaced.

Comment

$200 radiator or $5000 motor? Replace the radiator.

Comment

You might try some of the leak stop stuff from the hardware store. I know it works. I have it in my welding truck right now and it stopped a leak I had. Had a fan fall off a truck while on the Callahan ranch once. You could imagine the size holes that it put in it and there were about 20 of them. Put 2 packages of Bar's Leak in it and drove back to Georgetown, no problem. The stuff performs miracles.

Comment

Repair or replace?

I’ve seen JB weld work great on them. I’ve also had some luck with the flaky looking leak stop stuff you pour in.

Some radiators are not that expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by Dale Moser; 11-07-2019, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Lot of work to only patch

If you are going to have to tear it down to patch , might as well replace it
                        And the hoses and belts to For peace of mind
                        Only $100 new + belts and hoses and coolant
                        Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like replace is the way to go. Not looking forward to that. Guess while I’m in there I might replace the water pump. I’m just not sure about after market radiators I don’t want something that’s goin goin to crack in a year or two.

Comment

Aren't radiators like $150 and under? Replace it.

Go to rockauto.com, get the part number, then go to advanced auto parts website and buy it using their 25% coupon. Do in store pickup. They are really easy to replace.

Comment

There are radiator shops that can replace just the plastic part. Much cheaper, seems like it was about $150 to replace just the plastic parts ( one on each side of the coil ) on my 93 Chevy. Of course I dont know if it is possible on your particular radiator, but the shop acted like they did it all.the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X