Salt/Mineral comparison - Price vs. Quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salt/Mineral comparison - Price vs. Quality

Last few months I went over thousands of game cam pics and began to notice just how many pics showed both bucks and does licking on the trophy rocks I had in my feed pen. I would usually buy 2 Trophy Rocks at a time ($15 each and 12 pounds each).
    I recently bought 2 mineralized salt blocks ($7 each and 50 pounds each) and put them in the pen.

What’s your opinion on the two? My deer love the Trophy Rocks. Hope they feel the same way about the blocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll be honest. I did the same thing. They haven’t touched the mineral block since I put it out months ago. They killed the trophy rock. I don’t know what it is. Others may have better luck, but my deer obviously do not like it, or like it near as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
      I’ll be honest. I did the same thing. They haven’t touched the mineral block since I put it out months ago. They killed the trophy rock. I don’t know what it is. Others may have better luck, but my deer obviously do not like it, or like it near as much.
      This! I always have a Trace Mineral block and a Salt Block side by side every year, but I also put a Trophy Rock nearby them. That dang Trophy Rock is toast in no time from the deer and it takes them maybe 1.5-2yrs to get rid of the other 2 blocks.

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
        This! I always have a Trace Mineral block and a Salt Block side by side every year, but I also put a Trophy Rock nearby them. That dang Trophy Rock is toast in no time from the deer and it takes them maybe 1.5-2yrs to get rid of the other 2 blocks.
        What I noticed also!

BUT with that being said, the salt blocks they aren't designed to need as much as cattle

Comment

Does Academy have Trophy Rocks?

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post

I dont think so. TSC does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
              Yes...they have before

Comment

I have never used Trace Mineral Salt but do keep plain white salt blocks out year round and deer kill them certain times of the year.

I have never used trophy rocks but have thought about it a few times.

Rwc

Comment

I use the Redmond 44lb pink salt blocks. The axis and whitetail love them. They normally last about 6-8 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have always put out a trophy rock both deer & pigs love them!

I also put out trace mineral and plain white salt on the ground near the feeder. Throughout the year deer & pigs will use the mineral & salt as they need it.
                    Works for me.

Comment

We use trace mineral only and the deer hit them regularly. A block lasts about 7 months and we run 8 blocks throughout the ranch at a time.

Comment

Trace mineral block from the feed store.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I put out trophy rocks in my food plot. After it was gone the deer would eat or paw a big hole in the ground where it was.
                          Do they melt ?

My mineral blocks were never touched

Comment

Working...
                          X