No announcement yet.

2019 Select Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for you select ball guru’s. My son just turned 8 and got on a select team a few months ago and was wondering if it’s worth having him do some batting practice with a wooden bat or just stick to his 2-3/4 bat he uses for the game. Reason for me thinking about getting him a wooden 2-1/4 bat for practice is if he can hone in on getting good hits with a smaller barrel, when he does go back to his big barrel it should make it easier but I might be way off

Comment

Also, is it worth getting him a weight sleeve for his bat when warming up? He’s a big boy for his age(57” 96lbs) and want to help him get more bat speed. I’ll be asking his batting coach but wanted to see what y’alls opinions are.

Comment

I got tan a heavy wood bat to start his cage sessions with..but honestly.. he does it because hes seen others do it...and he thinks it sounds cool...

We spend more time breaking down his seing and working on mechanics.

Im sure swingin it helps with some strength conditioning..but measurable...i dont know...
        He doesnt swing weights during games...personal preference..

Comment

I think the wood bat helps, like you said, if he can square it up and hit line drives with wood he'll be able to with a big barrel. I'd get him a drop 10 or drop 8 in wood.

Comment

We went and practiced tonight with the team we’re picking up with this weekend. Good bunch of dudes, and Snoop made a great account of himself...especially not having swung anything but a golf club for 3 months. I have to admit, it was sure nice being at the ball field again...I LOVE watching those kids play ball.

Looking forward to live action this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

good luck to you guys, hope it works out with the new team.

my 9u sons coach messaged me yesterday letting me know they have a kid moving this winter and checking to see what our plans were so he could figure out the spring roster, i told him i would talk to logan last night and see what he wants to do. again he said he doesnt want to play baseball any more, instead he wants to play on 2 basketball teams lol.

i have tried to tell him he may not be tall enough to excel at basketball and he asked me what he needs to do to get taller....

Comment

Lol... man thats tough...

Comment

Had an interesting morning..
                  first game boys beat themselves.. scored 11 runs and lost by a walkoff..
                  Had to have had 7 errors ..mostly mental..
                  2nd game decided to lets bats go in last inning and walked it off after being down by 6..
                  Tan a great day behind plate... not so good while holding a bat..
                  Dribblers to second.. a hard hit fly out directly to center....and i mean the kid didnt flinch.. barely had to move his glove.. walked 3 times though..
                  Gotta go play at a municipal dump of a park tomorrow..

Got him a visor guy visor for his mask a couple months ago..paid for itself today.

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Both of mine are playing today. 14u is in a 15/16u event at Conroe high and the 11yo is back at rothwood for the Sunday double header deal! Beautiful day for some ball!

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                        Had an interesting morning..
                        first game boys beat themselves.. scored 11 runs and lost by a walkoff..
                        Had to have had 7 errors ..mostly mental..
                        2nd game decided to lets bats go in last inning and walked it off after being down by 6..
                        Tan a great day behind plate... not so good while holding a bat..
                        Dribblers to second.. a hard hit fly out directly to center....and i mean the kid didnt flinch.. barely had to move his glove.. walked 3 times though..
                        Gotta go play at a municipal dump of a park tomorrow..

Got him a visor guy visor for his mask a couple months ago..paid for itself today.
                        Good job Tab! I need to check into the visor. My oldest has some light blue eyes and the sun just kills him. Is it easy to remove if you don't need it?

Comment

Originally posted by cwill View Post
                          Good job Tab! I need to check into the visor. My oldest has some light blue eyes and the sun just kills him. Is it easy to remove if you don't need it?
                          Yep 2 thumb screws
                          I superglued the mounts to the facemask so they are always in the same position

Comment

We got the #2 seed out the gate..
                            Boys played ok.. still mental stuff.. but hung with them but got sent home.

Batting still an issue with the boy..
                            Tans had a dribbler to 2nd... then another dribbler to short ..both swinging a pitches at his ankles.. he never does that but i think hes just frustrated at the plate and is swinging to make contact..
                            Positive side ..caught another amazing game....really fun to watch him learn how to help call the game..watch batters stances.. get his pitchers pumped up..

Comment

Originally posted by cwill View Post
                              Both of mine are playing today. 14u is in a 15/16u event at Conroe high and the 11yo is back at rothwood for the Sunday double header deal! Beautiful day for some ball!
                              We were in humble next to the dump..
                              Facility is actually really nice...but holy smell...
                              They musta got a hell of a deal on the land for it...

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                                Yep 2 thumb screws
                                I superglued the mounts to the facemask so they are always in the same position

Man that looks slick and functional. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X