No announcement yet.

Who has Sanctuaries on Their Lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we have multiple on our 5500 acre place.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      I do. I have a heavily wooded area with a seasonal creek that runs through it. There is no hunting allowed in that area. I'm not sure if it helps or not, but it does at least provide the deer with a sanctuary away from hunters.

This is what we have as well. I believe it helps with the deer feeling safe.

Comment

We have one of 60 acres in the center of our place. The deer feel comfortable with lots of cover and so they bed there instead of on a neighbors. More time spent on my property gives me more opportunity.

Comment

just the house feeder

Comment

In the Rocksprings area we have a few sanctuaries that are dictated by the terrain

Comment

We have a few places that are hilly and thick. We don't walk or drive through there much at all. They are bedding/sanctuary areas and always seem to hold deer. We'll hunt them around the edges and out into travel or feeding areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                Our place being 98% bow only is pretty much a sanctuary from our neighbors who all uses rifles....

7 of us on 2400 acres with 2 bow blinds each makes a lot of big areas for sanctuary..... so we have no designated areas.
                I get what you're saying but you're putting way more pressure on your deer bow hunting than if you were rifle hunting. I can rifle hunt my spot for a week without 1 single deer knowing I'm there. You can't do that from 20 yards to the feeder and walking in and out in the dark. I bust deer from my feeder every time I walk to it.

To the OP, we have about 400 acres that isn't hunted mainly because the LO moves lots of livestock to it during season.

Comment

I have "Sanctuary" on my property that no one goes into or hunts in...ever. It's between the river bottom and a large pasture, it's nothing but timber with some sloughs in it that hold water.

Comment

I do my best to turn our whole 240 acre property into a sanctuary. Ample food and water available, no unnecessary trips out there, and bow hunt only and only when conditions are right. The deer can get used to seeing nobody and hang around.

Comment

We have 3, 50-80 acre places we rarely go in. There is an 80 acre place between us and a huge neighbor. Its owned by a couple of old ladies. Its never been hunted, has never had cows on it and the grass is 6ft tall. Big bull mesquites. One tank battery at the very front. No roads and never any traffic or walking in there. Perfect for bow hunting. If you would be patient you would shoot a 160 or bigger every year in there.

Comment

We have about 3000 acres that we do not go into very often on our Mexico ranch, its just too **** rough to travel it, I think the big bucks live in there.

Comment

We had about a 300 acre section around camp that was non huntable at my last place and it acted as a sanctuary. It was full of deer, mostly doe, but come thanksgiving you would have a lot of our better bucks running all around camp. There was also a wheat field joining it, so that may have something to do with it.

But I’m a firm believer in the exact opposite, that you can make a deer herd comfortable with humans. Driving to stands, filling feeders, checking cameras, I believe deer get comfortable with these things. Our best spot was the most traveled road on the lease. Everyone besides one guy had to drive right next to his setup, and he hunted on the road. I don’t know if it was coincidence or what, but you could sit in a truck 60 yards from the feeder when it went off and the same deer that were on camera when you weren’t there, show up with a truck in the middle of the road.
                          Last edited by TheHammer; 02-06-2019, 07:55 PM.

Comment

I have a 90 acre sanctuary on my 400 acre place and can tell a big difference. What ever stand I hunt they are either coming from or headed to the sanctuary.

Comment

No real "Sanctuaries" - we just have large acreage per hunter and are very low impact bow only.

We only go in hunting areas to feed or hunt.

Comment

We do. I believe it keeps more deer on our property for longer periods. The more they are on our property, the less likely they are to get shot by neighbors.

Comment

Working...
                                X