Things to do in Playa Del Carmen??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things to do in Playa Del Carmen??

Alright you TBH world travelers, I need some recommendations for things to do in Playa Del Carmen! We were supposed to be on a cruise this summer but of course that got canceled. We just transferred out 6 night cruise to a 9 night stay at the Hilton Playa Del Carmen adult only all inclusive AND saved $600/head. This place was previously called Royal. What are some things we need to do while there?! We’ll be in town July 2nd-11th. From some reading I’ve done the night life in Playa is pretty awesome and within walking distance of where we’re staying. Any fishing charter recommendations?? Other must sees? Must eats? This is super last minute, normally I have all my research done months in advance.

Spent a week there in 2018. Man they have some fantastic evening shows, and tons of good restaurants. Obviously I stayed there when It was the Royal so not sure how Hilton is doing with it.

The good part is you can literally walk to the strip, it's like 2 blocks away. Lots of shopping and restaurants along the way. Always fun to people watch... but be mindful of your surroundings. Seems there is always a thug or 2 trying to sell you some weed or coke.

I'f you're looking for stuff to do check out Eco Tours in Tulum. We've been on tours with them 2 or 3 times and always had fun.

Comment

Get on the ferry and go to Cozumel for the day, well worth the trip. Try to time it when the cruise ships aren’t there and make sure you don’t go on their voting day cause they shut down the entire island and don’t sell alcohol. I used to go every year for 6-7 years in a row and would do this every time. We’d rent a moped and cruise around the entire island, takes about an hour and you get an awesome view of the true beaches, not where all of the tourists are. Also, you can rent snorkel gear for like $5 and go do it yourself; they provide a locker to secure your bag in while you swim. We jumped off a pier and swam in water 2-40’ deep. Saw coral fish, barracudas, sharks. Other than that... we’ve also went zip lining, rented jet skis, rented side by sides. All were awesome experiences.

Lastly, an also “must do”... look up the Catamaya cruises. It’s a huge sailboat that takes you snorkeling, they feed you steak and lobster on the boat, unlimited beer and drinks, and they’ll even troll off the back if you ask. We caught a cuda and I was the fortunate one that they let reel it in.
      Last edited by BobbyJoe; 06-24-2020, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Oh wait... I guess you don’t have to worry about the cruise ships. Lucky.

Comment

Rent a Harley and ride the whole place. There’s several small places to stop along the way to eat drink and sight see. The Catamaya Cruise is worth it. If you enjoy people pandering to you and trying to get you to constantly buy crap the you will enjoy the shopping on the strip.

Comment

Take a taxi down to Peurto Aventuras/Akumal and go fishing with Wasabi Loco. Can rent the entire boat for 1/2 day pretty reasonably. Been out twice with them, lots of fun.

They have a website. wasabiloco.com The owners are from Texas.
            Last edited by wellingtontx; 06-24-2020, 01:07 PM.

Comment

If you scuba a few places run a bull shark dive where you hang out on the bottom and they chum them in. Had planned to do it but our trip got cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post

The good part is you can literally walk to the strip, it's like 2 blocks away. Lots of shopping and restaurants along the way. Always fun to people watch... but be mindful of your surroundings. Seems there is always a thug or 2 trying to sell you some weed or coke.

It felt like what DARE warned us about, someone offering you drugs on every corner.

If you want to do a cave dive and snorkeling in a Lagoon. Look at Cancun Adventures and see if you can reserve "sexy teacher" (don't remember his real name) as the other guides called him. He took us out further into the lagoon and showed us a lot more than the other guides. They also do ruin trips but we didn't book that part. Definitely do a catamaran trip and some of them also have a stop at Cozumel for several hours so you can shop.

Comment

Lounge with your wife in the sun.

Comment

All good recommendations! Keep me coming.

Comment

We did whale shark and giant ray diving and scuba. It rocked

Comment

Do a snorkel trip to the nearby reefs and also snorkel a Cenote. I do Cozumel 2-3 times a year and visit Playa often. The strip (La Quinta Avenida) is fun with some good eating, people watching and nightlife but I wouldn’t recommend staying out past 12 or so unless you stay sober. Coco bongo is a neat experience if you are into the nightclub stuff. The pick pocketers target drunk tourists and are very good at it.
                        Other ideas-check out the ruins and beach in Tulum.
                        Snorkel half moon bay in Akumal-that area is known for turtles and has some good little beach restaurants.
                        Xel-Ha-neat park with a natural inlet with lots of fish and easy snorkeling. Day passes are all inclusive.
                        Xcaret-not my thing but lots of people love it. Kind of DisneyLand meets eco park Is the comparison people use.
                        Chichen Itza ruins are very impressive but it’s a 2 1/2 bus ride and makes for a full day...if that kind of stuff interest you it is a must do.

A day in Cozumel would be a fun trip but the ferry’s are only running a few times a day vs every hour so not sure how convenient that would be.

Comment

Originally posted by bow4my2 View Post
                          We did whale shark and giant ray diving and scuba. It rocked
                          This is a fun trip for sure. Doing it again in August. Hope the whale sharks are still around.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            Rent a Harley and ride the whole place. There’s several small places to stop along the way to eat drink and sight see. The Catamaya Cruise is worth it. If you enjoy people pandering to you and trying to get you to constantly buy crap the you will enjoy the shopping on the strip.
                            Now this is something I can get behind! Likely would be doing it on my own as I’m the only rider in the group. I like it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                              Now this is something I can get behind! Likely would be doing it on my own as I’m the only rider in the group. I like it!!
                              Pretty sure he is referring to Cozumel....don’t rent a Harley in pdc

Comment

Working...
                              X