Halibut guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halibut guide

Will be in Juneau the end of July and wanted to try my hand at Halibut fishing.
    Anyone fished that area or know of a good guide service close to there?

Originally posted by Diamond S View Post
    Will be in Juneau the end of July and wanted to try my hand at Halibut fishing.
    Anyone fished that area or know of a good guide service close to there?
    I am no help, but thats on my bucket list of things to do! Good luck and post some pics if you get to go!!

Comment

I can get you some info. My aunt and uncle go every summer.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
        I can get you some info. My aunt and uncle go every summer.

Sierracharlie out…
        Thanks!!!

Comment

Not in Juneau but not to far away. Great guy from Fort Worth.

Comment

josh hughes is in valdez, hes a great captain. Its a good ways from the capital.

Comment

I've always wanted to gig one on those giant Flounder.

Comment

I was in Petersburg about 10 years ago, and we just rented a skiff with all of the gear and crab pots. The guy we rented the skiff from told us where to go and gave us a map.
                Later in the summer it’s pretty easy to find halibut in the passage without going outside to open ocean, Just get a tide book and find deep water at slack tide. Didn’t save a ton of money, but we put a lot of miles on whale watching, checking out glaciers and fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                  Not in Juneau but not to far away. Great guy from Fort Worth.

http://www.treetopslodge.com/

Treetops is Absolutely 1st class.
                  Been going for years. You WILL catch fish. Great people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We used Baranof out of Ketchikan. Had a great time. Caught lots of fish. They cooked part of our catch on a private beach and it was beyond words. Shipped a bunch home.

Comment

I'm in for this. This summer my wife and I are driving to Alaska. Halibut fishing is one thing i want to do while I am there. Can't book a guide because don't know what day I will make it to the coast. Maybe the boat rental is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
                        I'm in for this. This summer my wife and I are driving to Alaska. Halibut fishing is one thing i want to do while I am there. Can't book a guide because don't know what day I will make it to the coast. Maybe the boat rental is the way to go.
                        You may still want to make a reservation, the only reason we got a boat without one was a cancellation.
                        On the other hand, most captains love to take a single or double to sell a boat out. Most halibut charters run multiple trips per day encouraging you to keep the first two you catch. I’d recommend a multi-specie trip or at least a full day. There are even some overnight charters, which allow you two days worth of fish.
                        Another tip is to skip the fish boxes if you have a direct flight home. We typically put the frozen vacuum packed fish in our sleeping bag in a duffel with any other clothes. Fish are always rock hard when we get home. The insulation and frozen mass make it all just fine.
                        Last edited by Txtourist; 01-09-2020, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond S View Post
                          Thanks!!!

Jeff Glosser - Fishing Fools 907 240 7895
                          Most currently used.

And

“We have also used Mary Times charter from Ninilchek or Captain B’s C’s out of Homer his number is 907 235 4114”

They always have extra fillets as long as they’ve been going. They did say the Glosser guy can lack some people skills at times but he definitely knows where the fish are and how to catch them.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Halibut guide

Originally posted by TeXXaN View Post
                            josh hughes is in valdez, hes a great captain. Its a good ways from the capital.

I will second this. He also added another boat that his son is running. Great guide that is a lot of fun that fishes for big fish. If you end up around Valdez he is your man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, I will check each one of them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X