Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who remembers the Monterrey House Candy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I patrolled Aldine for 5 years and worked robbery investigations there for about 6 years. Sure has changed a lot since I was a kid.

My grandparents had a big house on Aldine bender across the street from haverstock apartments (formerly kitty hawk).

My grandpa started eastex sheet metal (Lee Rd and 59) which turned into Har-Whit, inc (hartis-whitworth) and Pitts and Spitts bbq pits.

Comment

Okay North siders how about the Log Cabin restaurant

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
        just think, had you meet me when I lived on the north side you would have been a millionaire.
        No I probably be in prison [emoji38]

Comment

Been in H town for 66 years. I think I had this once...................

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
            Okay North siders how about the Log Cabin restaurant

Yep. Grandpa treated us to Sunday fried chicken dinner there pretty regularly.

They had ritz crackers and jelly while you waited for the food. [emoji16]

Comment

Oh man that candy was great. Probably couldn't stomach it now but we live for that candy as kids. Thanks for bringing back a wonderful memory.

Comment

I grew up going to the Monterrey House in Bryan. My sister loved that candy. Me, not so much. I do remember it though. And as a little kid their salsa seemed so hot to me.

Comment

Hmmmm..... I remember

Comment

The candy was good.

We used to go the one in our area until one night eating dinner there we were sat next to the chip and salsa station and we watched the entire staff recycle the chips off the tables and throw them back in the chip bin to be used again.

My mother refused to go back there but when she was outta town Dad would take us back there cause we figured most Mexican restaurants were prob doing the same, we just never saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
                      Yeah I seem to gravitate to Pueblo in Cleveland these days for mescan...but that place was and still is dang good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                      You need to try the candy on the counter. Reminds me of the Monterrey House candy.

Comment

Hadn’t thought of that stuff in years, but now I’m getting a “ sugar high”.

Comment

1 c. brown sugar
                          1 c. white sugar
                          2/3 c. canned milk
                          1/2 c. oleo or butter
                          2 c. chopped nuts
                          Directions:

Put all ingredients together in a sauce pan.
                          Cook until your candy thermometer hits 240 degrees.
                          Remove from heat
                          Let it cool until your candy thermometer hits 150 degrees (About 15mins)
                          Beat until it’s stiff. … It won’t take long
                          Drop on ungreased wax paper by a teaspoon.
                          Allow to cool about 30 mins or until solid

Comment

Oh yeah! When we went out to eat when I was a kid, it was always at Monterrey House. Loved it and all 5 of us kids couldnt wait to get our brown sugar treat from the bottom of the chip basket.

Comment

Originally posted by RINCON View Post
                              Yep...went to the same Monterey House. Lived off of Gulf Bank, right down Airline from you.

You go to Sam Houston?

Good stuff

Would have, but moved to Humble, and went to Nimitz High School.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                                I patrolled Aldine for 5 years and worked robbery investigations there for about 6 years. Sure has changed a lot since I was a kid.

My grandparents had a big house on Aldine bender across the street from haverstock apartments (formerly kitty hawk).

My grandpa started eastex sheet metal (Lee Rd and 59) which turned into Har-Whit, inc (hartis-whitworth) and Pitts and Spitts bbq pits.

I worked in Aldine with AT&T for 18 years before transferring to Cleveland. I know that area well. Went to school with Kendall Whitworth. Your grandparents house was a much different neighborhood when it was built! We called Haverstock the baby factory.
                                I can say I don’t miss working in that place.

Comment

Working...
                                X