No announcement yet.

Complications to wisdom tooth extraction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, ok... I've had a fairly intense night.
    I got home and since I was working from home, went back to the grind. I felt horrible as this was about 3-4 hours after I started to feel achy and, the most famous phrase of 2020, "flu-like symptoms." I ended up taking a pill, Clindamycin, and within a few hours make aches weren't getting any worse...so to me, that's an improvement.

Work was supposed to end at 7, so I took a break, went out, saw my boy, and the wife, who is a nurse and always on my butt about following orders, wanted to go over what I was supposed to do. I explained 4 pills a day for 5 days, hot water and salt rinse 3-4 times a day and to "massage the area." I began massaging the area to show her what I was supposed to do...and...

POP.

Yep, the bubble burst in my mouth. It was absolutely disgusting. The taste and smell is horrid. I smashed on it some more, got as much as I could, and then had to go back to work (it never ends when it's supposed to.)

About an hour later I kept feeling it fill back up. I went to the bathroom to pop it some more, but this time......[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlNv0pT4d2s"]YouTube[/ame]

I thought about putting a disclaimer since there's blood, but you all gut multiple animals a year so I'm not concerned. I was really, really interested to see where it's coming from and what it looks like.

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
    Was this another tooth? That old thread is a year old isn’t it? I had all of mine done at one time and it was horrible. Worst thing I have had done and I’ve had six or eight surgeries. Hope you get to feeling better that looks rough!
    Yes it's an older thread. In a nutshell, my dentist I had most my life said keep 'em. He died. The next dentist, and every dentist after said I needed to get them removed. After about 3-4 dentists telling me, I finally gave in and saw a surgeon. He said not in a million years would he ever feel comfortable working me on.

He said, "I could do it, but you'd hate me the rest of your life."

I ended up seeing a dentist I like now, and he said he foresaw orthodontic issues down the road, so I went to an orthodontist. He's a family friend and a man of God and he said I needed to get them pulled 1) just because and 2) because he needed more real estate for invisalign to correct my issues.

So all in all, this guy comes very highly recommended. He said he would take out the top 2 and the bottom left because it was the higher risk of the two bottom (the tops were always easy and 0 risk), and he said if I had no permanent numbness on my left side of my face, he would go in and do the easier 4th wisdom tooth. Due to having at the time having a 2 month old, I put it off past January (Insurance would kick in for a new year,making it cheaper if I waited.) Then COVID happened. Once Covid died down, I scheduled my appointment for June 8. And now your caught up except for the next quote...

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
    Only time I’ve woken up in surgery was during wisdom tooth removal. Doc was yanking on my tooth like a stuck bolt with a pair of vise grips. . . He saw I had woken up and said “oh s***” then I heard something about more gas and promptly lost consciousness haha

Hope yours gets sorted out without issue.

Sierracharlie out…
    I woke up multiple times and remember the pain and most of the surgery. It wasn't good.

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    Did you go back to the same oral surgeon? You might want to go to the hospital and see a Dr.
    Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    Seriously you probably need a MD. Maybe a lawyer too
    Yes I did go back to the same guy. I trust him and he has come highly recommended. I actually would recommend him as I've seen how he has helped me through this situation. We'll see what's next for me!

Comment

****! That sucks. Hoping it gets better for you.

Comment

yeah that settled it for me. I'm never getting my wisdom teeth removed. nope. never.

Comment

Maxillofacial surgeon. Make an appointment and get a second opinion. It could save you a lifetime of problems.

Comment

Exactly what I did not need to see. My dentist is telling me I need to remove a wisdom tooth because it is causing problems. I told him I needed to think about it. I am supposed to go back next week and have further x rays done to see how tough it is going to be. I was already torn... ppreciate it! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is that a tonsil swelled up in your throat behind your tongue?

Comment

were you a bubble gum guy?

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                  Is that a tonsil swelled up in your throat behind your tongue?
                  That is their normal size. I have big tonsils.

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                  were you a bubble gum guy?
                  No sir. Yes I chew some every now and again, but I would not say I do it often.

Comment

This is No Bueno. Hope that it clears up for you soon.

Comment

Praying for complete healing and strength for you sir. All this through our mighty Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen

Comment

Thank you all for the support and prayers. I am happy to report that I woke up feeling better. It's still swollen, still draining, but not as much.

I called the Dr and let the office know I was doing OK. Still achy a small bit and tired, but not like last night. I went to bed last night with fever, chills, achy... Horrible. Amazing what one nights sleep can do on the body.

Comment

7/11 update... Doing much better. I have 1 antibiotic pill left... I haven't felt "sick" since Monday, the swelling is nearly gone, so I am back to my old ugly self. The area is still draining but nothing like the video. In fact, I believe what I am hearing when I push is simply air in a void or something... Thanks again for your prayers!

Comment

My daughter had her wisdom teeth removed last November. She had slight swelling that came and went twice but then around March the swelling came back much larger and painful like yours. Took her back to the oral surgeon and it was decided that when they removed the teeth a small tooth fragment was left behind and that it was trying to absorb back into the body. The oral surgeon lanced and drained the area and put her on antibiotics, swelling has not returned, thank the Lord. Hopefully they get yours taken care of.

Comment

I stayed in ICU for 12 hours on a refrigerated mattress 40 years ago when my temp hit 106.7. I had an infection following wisdom teeth extraction. This is not something to mess with.
                              Bad infection almost got me. Was in the hospital a week. I went to three Doctors, the third one did emergency surgery. He was a Oral Surgeon/MD.

Comment

The whole point of getting this done was dentist said I needed to see an orthodontist to avoid future problems. Ortho said I needed to see oral surgeon so he could get the real estate in my mouth to do the work he needed to do. The ortho, before my 2nd wisdom tooth surgery, measured my jaw flexibility at 55 mm. Avg is 45 mm. Today at my ortho follow up, I measured 47 mm. I am still experiencing pain in my right jaw when opening my mouth... I am going to see another surgeon to get a second opinion. I don't have an appointment now, but will set one up soon. I start invisalign within the next month. What a journey.

Edit. I should mention that there is no infection right now and it never came back. There is a new sensitivity issue that i did not have pre surgery, but that is manageable and the least of my concerns.
                                Last edited by ctom87; 07-22-2020, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X