Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Buck Club at Elementary School

Pretty cool story.

During an era with fewer and fewer hunters heading into the woods, an elementary school in a small Maine town is embracing its hunting

During an era with fewer and fewer hunters heading into the woods, an elementary school in a small Maine town is embracing its hunting traditions, and we are fully on board!

At Whitefield Elementary, students aren’t concerned about posting their hunting photos on social media because there’s a large bulletin board hanging in the hallways where kids can post photos of themselves with bear, moose, turkey and deer that they’ve harvested.

Students K-8 are all allowed to hang pictures on the board, which multiple faculty members claim has brought the community closer. Even the teachers get involved in the fun!

“I like the bulletin board,” says Caleb Bishop. “If we kill a big deer or or a big bear, we’re able to talk around to our friends.”

There is one stipulation. Due to the school’s ‘zero weapons’ policy, photos hung on the board cannot feature any firearms, bows or other weapons of any kind.

“We started our bulletin board a few years ago and kids were posing with guns and their game, physical education teacher Jamie Simpson told News Center Maine. “We have a no-weapons policy at school. So the kids were also taking their photos without their weapons so they could still have their photos posted.”

And there’s some pretty impressive hunters walking the halls at Whitefield Elementary! In fact, two seventh graders have already accomplished grand slams – which means they harvested a deer, bear, turkey and a moose IN THE SAME YEAR.

Olivia Brann is the latest to complete the impressive feat, with Caleb being the only other seventh grader to do it.

“A lot of people think because I’m very ballet and I like to dress up and stuff in dancing when I say I’m a hunter, people are like ‘Wow!'” she said.

Students also compete in a contest each year for the hunter with the biggest buck. Last year, Olivia’s nine-year-old sister Cassidy won the contest with a massive ten-point buck.

Thats just flat out Awesome!

Comment

Yeah it is. We need to do this in Texas.

Comment

I think I may start this in my classroom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Funny how everyone says there are less and less hunters. When will we see that reflected in the woods?? I wish there was less hunters.

Comment

This is awesome

Comment

Originally posted by UrbanBuck View Post
              Funny how everyone says there are less and less hunters. When will we see that reflected in the woods?? I wish there was less hunters.
              The more young hunters we have the better. Wishing for less is naive and ignorant

Comment

Originally posted by UrbanBuck View Post
                I think your perspective is twisted. Texas has increased, but generally nationally hunting has decreased.

Nationwide, in 2016 there were 36.3 million licenses (includes lifetime and non-resident). In 2019, there were 35.9 million. https://wsfrprograms.fws.gov/Subpage...fo/Hunting.htm

Comment

Greatness

Comment

Awesomeness.

Comment

I saw that thru SCI earlier this week!!! Love it, gotta push back starting with the youngsters!!!

Comment

Very cool

Comment

Big Buck Club at Elementary School

A few years ago I moved from another school district and took a job back home in my hometown. I was walking down the main hallway one morning and the bulletin board caught my eye. It was a newspaper clipping of one of our 8th grade players with him and his 8 point buck he killed on opening morning hanging on the bragging board. It was right then I knew I had made the right choice to come back home. Lol. Man it’s great to teach/coach in a place where a kid killing a nice buck gets you on the front page of the local newspaper, and on top of that you can hang it in the hallway at school. Felt good to be home!

Comment

Here’s the one I started in my classroom

Comment

Dont get much better

Comment

Working...
                              X