Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow length for Trad Setup?

So -

I recently picked up my Sage and have been getting 'draw reps' in because I can't shoot it yet. I ordered what I thought were 30", fletched Black Eagle Vintage arrows - great idea, right? Well, womp-womp, I ordered 34" bare shafts. So, that's not a thing.

That said, I obviously need to cut the arrows to the right length and get them fletched. But - my question is - is there a difference in arrow length from trad to compound and vice versa? I'm trying to draw back to 28" as much as possible and I'm pretty sure I'm going to run the Bear Weather Rest. Anyone have a rule-of-thumb they use for cutting arrows to length?

LaS

I have to run full length arrows due to draw length. One thing I will tell you is your draw length may grow over time so might not want to cut them too much.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome to the somewhat complicated and sometimes frustrating world of trad arrow tuning. As you probably know, shaft length is just one variable in the equation - other factors include draw length, spine, cut from center and tip weight. My suggestion is to look at a spine calculator (link below) and play around with it to get an understanding of how changes in each component affects dynamic spine. I will say that trying to precisely tune arrows before your form gets consistent is an exercise in futility because for a while, you will be the biggest variable in the equation - slight changes in anchor, release, draw length etc will make the arrow fly differently

Last edited by jerp; 10-10-2019, 01:56 PM.

Comment

There is no rule of thumb for correct arrow length. Correct arrow length is determined by tuning. Good tuning can only occur with good form. If you are new to trad shooting, I wouldn’t get too caught up in tuning, as a lot of things are likely to change as you learn proper form and find a system that works for you. Just get an arrow that flies reasonably well and keep getting in the reps!!!!

Just like on a compound, you need the correct spine shaft to shoot well. Tuning is done with trad bows by adjusting arrow length, adjusting front end weight(point and insert), and by adjusting brace height. Until you have pretty consistent form, you are likely to beat yourself to death trying to tune, as inconsistencies in form will throw results way off.

As an example, I’ll throw this out there. I was shooting Easton Axis FMJ arrows. .400 spine needed to be 32” to tune correctly. .500 spine needed to be 29” to tune correctly. I just switched to .400 spine Widowmaker Smash shafts, and they have to be 34” to tune correctly.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Last edited by Bisch; 10-10-2019, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Oh, and to your question your draw length with the trad bow is likely to be shorter than it was with your compound

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
            Oh, and to your question your draw length with the trad bow is likely to be shorter than it was with your compound

Until you learn proper form and use of back tension. Then it should be real close to the same.

Bisch

Comment

Great stuff, guys - thanks.

Jerp - used that tool and if I have my components right then I need to cut my shafts down to about 29" and shoot 150 up front instead of 200.

Comment

If those are .400 spine shafts and you cut themdown to 29”, you are going to need a lot more than 150gr up front to make them right!!!!! You might be able to get away with 150gr if you leave them 32-33”, but I bet you still will need more!!! If they are .500 spine, then you might be pretty close at 29” with 150gr up front, but you may need a tad more also. All you can do is shoot them and see what works.

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 10-10-2019, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Always leave long and trim oy as tuning requires.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                    If those are .400 spine shafts and you cut themdown to 29”, you are going to need a lot more than 150gr up front to make them right!!!!! You might be able to get away with 150gr if you leave them 32-33”, but I bet you still will need more!!! If they are .500 spine, then you might be pretty close at 29” with 150gr up front, but you may need a tad more also. All you can do is shoot them and see what works.

Bisch
                    Hey Bisch - I used the dynamic spine calculator yesterday and tried to get my numbers even. They both came out around a dynamic spine of 59. My setup for that was...29", 125 up front, 25g insert, 3x5" feathers.

Oh, and spine is .500
                    Last edited by LiftAndShoot; 10-11-2019, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Did I miss where you gave the poundage of your bow?

Comment

Good deal! Like I said above, don’t get too caught up in tuning right now. Sounds like you should be close, and that will work fine to you settle on a system that works for you. Good luck with it. It’s a rush to be successful with a trad bow!!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by boomer453 View Post
                          Did I miss where you gave the poundage of your bow?
                          Hey Boomer - I probably didn't list it. At the recommendation of literally everyone, I started with 40lb limbs. Apparently it's enough to kill deer, and that's what I'm after (for now).

Comment

At 40#, I would leave those shafts full length, at least to start. I shoot 29” .500 spine that tune perfectly with a 150gr point from a 55# compound. The .500’s for my 50# longbow are about 30.5” with a 150gr point and a 75gr brass insert. My DL is 29”.

Bisch

Comment

It is with a razor sharp head put in the right spot.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X