Gatesville area artifact help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gatesville area artifact help

I have a buddy who finds quite a bit of large broken artifacts on his place outside of Gatesville. Today he found a nice intact one. Always the really rough hewn ones, hardly ever any fine chipped smaller ones. Would some of you guys help with what this was used for and how old it might be? Thanks a million!!!
    Attached Files

Use to Split-um noggin.

Comment

I used to hunt the gatesville side of Fort shoot quite a bit about 7-8 years ago. I set up on the edge of a creek one day and just happened to look down and saw a nice arrowhead on the ground. There wasn’t a lot moving so I got to walking around the area and it was covered up with them.
      Last edited by Thad_Castle; 01-16-2021, 05:18 PM. Reason: Misspelled

Comment

Looks like a pre-form

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Stewart View Post
          Looks like a pre-form
          Does that mean it just hasn’t been finished out yet?

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
            Use to Split-um noggin.
            It’d dang sure do that! He did find it by the little creek that runs through his place.

Comment

Age Probably 2,000-3,000 years before Jesus was born. Im no expert, hopefully Garguy will chime in

Let that sink in

Comment

Ttt for some additional perspectives. Thanks

Comment

Garguy and one other (can't remember his name) are walking encyclopedias on this topic. Message him. Then share his info. With us.

Comment

Yep, preform. Woulda been an elephant killer. 4-5 thousand years old

Comment

It probably was intended to be working down into a blade at a later time. Often Cobbles were roughed out like that to be carried or traded. All that said they were often used as us too. That seems to be the case with yours. The wide end shows usage as a gouge.

Comment

Thanks guys! We appreciate the info!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X