Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
    As I specified, we don't play on Sat.

We also don't shop (or go to malls) on Sat, Sun, or near holidays. If one doesn't like crowds, don't go where the population is congested.
    The majority of the working world does not have your luxury. Get outside of your bubble every now and then. If you have to be a wealthy white collar person to enjoy the game of course it is going to die, as it is currently is.

Comment

Originally posted by cookemerkel View Post
      So what are you are saying is Jack had more longevity to his career? No one is denying that. And if we are talking amateur careers Tiger had a stellar one. Not just speaking on the professional tournaments he played as an amateur. He won't almost everything you could win on the amateur level. I'm unsure of what jack won because that was long before my time and I don't care to look it up.

So I wasn't comparing apples to cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nope, I am saying you tossed in 20 years after Nicklaus prime and added that into his winning percentage. Let me know that Woods winning percentage is over the next 26 years. A blind man can see that.

And while we are on winning, Nicklaus has 18 majors. Tiger might get there some day......

But don't take a deep breath and hold it while waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
        Ahhh yes, the apples to cars comparison. Those 595 events for Nicklaus were in 49 years including 6 as an amateur.

Not counting the single tournament this year, Woods has played pro for 20 years. Nicklaus had an additional 215 PGA tournaments "after" his first 20 years and 13 of his PGA events were as an amateur. Try subtracting 235 from Nicklaus's 595 events makes it even. Woods had 11 amateur PGA tournaments.

Let's see if Woods plays another 215 events in the next 20 years.......

In his first 20 years pro, Nicklaus placed 1, 2 or 3 144 times. In the same time frame Woods placed 1, 2 or 3 127 times.

Nicklaus made the cut 10 times as an amateur in 6 years. Woods made the cut 3 times in 4 years as an amateur.

Woods best finish in a major as an amateur was 48th. Nicklaus best finish in a major as an amateur was 2nd.

Woods does lead in major wins in less years. Woods won his 14 majors in 12 years. In 12 years Nicklaus won 12. But.....for Woods in next 8 years he won none. The next 8 years for Nicklaus added 5 more then the almost stunning win at Augusta at age 46. Of course, maybe Woods can do that 5 years from now when he is 46.

Apples to apples.....

There it is. And many here, never even witnessed Jack playing golf in his 20s and 30s or for that matter, witnessing Lee Trevino or Arnold Palmer during their prime years.

That era was solid with MAJOR WINNING contenders, playing hard against Jack.

Another stat, which I have no numbers for is......the amount of rounds Jack had to play behind the leader on Sunday. The incredible pressure he played with, to win and or hit second place on Sunday against, other players who had MAJORS already under their belt.

Woods played against players, many many times, who were pursuing their first MAJOR on Sunday.

BETWEEN THE EARS WITH PRESSURE. This is the Game of Golf. So many fold on Sunday, after blazing 3 solid super sub par rounds...it's ridiculous today only to blow up, like a cheap suit, on Sunday.

The pressure on Jack was greater than Tiger from the standpoint, Jack didn't blow out the tournaments he won, he had to play strat against some of the best MAJOR Winners and HALL OF FAMERS of Golf's history. His competition for MAJORS are all HALL OF FAMERS with 5 or more Majors under their respective belts. Players who didn't fold on Sunday because of pressure or lack of experience at the Major level.....these Dudes respectively were in it consistently at every Major and had the experience to play all 4 rounds competitively against Jack.
        Last edited by AtTheWall; 02-17-2017, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Elin is holding up pretty good IMO

Comment

Originally posted by bdchorn View Post
            OK, but the point is business for every single equipment manufacturer is down with the exception of XPG. Golf, the business of golf, is struggling mightily since Tiger went down.
            The club manufacturers did that to themselves though. When Taylor Made and the likes were pumping out new/updated models every 6 months that pretty much started to cut the business down.

Addidas is/has been looking to sell Taylor Made for quite some time now.

The average consumer isn't buying new sticks every year let alone every couple of years.

Comment

Amazing to watch the fall from grace. He was the most dominant athlete of any sport at one time. He was set to break every record, then he got caught running around.

Comment

Love/Hate

Like a lot of you I was mesmerized by Tiger when he started out of Stanford and became pro, and like a lot of you I loved to watch him dominate the field with his amazing abilities. It wasn't until his over bearing cocky attitude started that I began to like him less and less. To good to speak with the media and being in general in unpleasant person. It got to the point for me that I didn't enjoy watching golf anymore because it was all Tiger all the time. With his less than "the gentleman's sport" attitude and temper. Cussing, using the Lords name in vein, storming off the course when he lost was to much for me. It was at this point I started to root against him.
                He doesn't deserve the major record. Did he do a lot for the game, yes, but lost sight of what the game did for him. When he figured out a way to be in the spot light in the last, and in my opinion the best, Ryder Cup ever. It was it my opinion disgraceful. He had no business being there and served as a distraction from the "Real Players". As I mentioned... Bye Tiger, maybe you can figure out a way to do some good for the game now. Oh That's right, he has a tournament that he can't even show up for or meet with the press about. I rest my case.....
                Last edited by Rack Ranch; 02-17-2017, 10:16 AM.

Comment

To simply answer the thread-title question: yes.
                  I would say 275 posts on our hunting forum indicates some level of interest in Tiger's prospects/influence/legacy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kmart49 View Post
                    The club manufacturers did that to themselves though. When Taylor Made and the likes were pumping out new/updated models every 6 months that pretty much started to cut the business down.

The average consumer isn't buying new sticks every year let alone every couple of years.
                    Your correct sir!

Every sport is getting like that including archery.

Last years highly marketed, super new, best ever, can't be topped, latest technology, faster, lighter, stronger model is outta date

No matter if it is a golf club, bow, bat, ball, arrow, glove, bullet..on and on

As a golf coach my biggest problem with a competitive golfer was him changing equipment all the time. Especially putters. Its operator error 99% of the time. Not the equipment.

Freddy Couples said one time when he was on a hot streak when asked if it was his new clubs. He said The way im swinging it right now I could use a crow bar and score.
                    Last edited by Abcdj; 02-17-2017, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                      Your correct sir!

Last years highly marketed, super new, best ever, can't be topped, latest technology, faster, lighter, stronger model is outta date

As a golf coach my biggest problem with a competitive golfer was him changing equipment all the time. Especially putters. Its operator error 99% of the time. Not the equipment.

Freddy Couples said one time when he was on a hot streak when asked if it was his new clubs. He said The way im swing right now I could use a crow bar and score.
                      I see you reside in paris, I grew up in paris and started my career golfing career that at Paris country club, I remember ole' Allen Norton being the Pro, I also played a ton at Elk Hollow, if you played at those places you probably remember my pops.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
                        I see you reside in paris, I grew up in paris and started my career golfing career that at Paris country club, I remember ole' Allen Norton being the Pro, I also played a ton at Elk Hollow, if you played at those places you probably remember my pops.
                        Yes sir. I coached at PJC the past 11 years till they dropped the golf program due to lack of funding in June. I knew Allen well, he left the Country club the year I got there and went to Elk Hollow. Elk Hollow is shut down now. Who is your dad?

Comment

Originally posted by Kmart49 View Post

That's the whole point. Club manufacturers were churning out new models every year because the market supported it at the time. Now Tiger's gone and the market has tanked.

Is Tiger the only reason? No, but he's absolutely the primary reason. Every guy on tour and every club rep will say the same thing.

Comment

Your correct sir!

Freddy Couples said one time when he was on a hot streak when asked if it was his new clubs. He said The way im swing right now I could use a crow bar and score.
                            One of the best players I know still plays with the ping eye 2 club heads he has had since we were kids. He's tried others, keeps going back.

Comment

Originally posted by bdchorn View Post
                              That's the whole point. Club manufacturers were churning out new models every year because the market supported it at the time. Now Tiger's gone and the market has tanked.

Is Tiger the only reason? No, but he's absolutely the primary reason. Every guy on tour and every club rep will say the same thing.

Seem to me a lot of tournaments changing sponsorships too. Probably connected.

Comment

Yes sir. I coached at PJC the past 11 years till they dropped the golf program due to lack of funding in June. I knew Allen well, he left the Country club the year I got there and went to Elk Hollow. Elk Hollow is shut down now. Who is your dad?
                                Damon Floyd, Allen was a **** good guy...my dads best buddy back in the day....

Comment

Working...
                                X