Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Polaris Ranger vs Kawasaki Mule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We were in the same situation back last June. We checked and tested the Polaris Ranger 1000, Kawasaki Mule Pro FXR 800, Tracker 800 (Arctic Cat 800), Yamaha Viking 3 seater, Honda Pioneer 700 & 1000 and Can-Am Defender HD8.

The Can-Am we decided not to get due to so many problems with our current 2016 Can-Am Outlander Max 650. We have about 400 miles on it and are doing our 4th brake job. The DPS system went out. The display went out. The rear end started grinding and had to be fixed. Plus a few smaller things.

The Yamaha Viking seemed to be under powered as well as the Honda Pioneer 700. The Tracker (Arctic Cat Prowler rebadged) looked good, but only place to get warranty work was BPS and their service apparently is not good.

That left us with the Polaris Ranger 1000 and the Kawasaki Mule Pro FXR 800. We tested both and both rode excellent. Power for both was great. We settled for the Kawasaki Mule Pro FXR 800.

We've had several Kawasaki ATV's and UTV's and never had any problems. One Mule 2500 (97 model) had over 5000 hours and only changed the belt 2x and did a tune up.

Kawasaki also comes with a standard 3 year warranty. Polaris didn't want to deal no matter the place I went. Their extra fees were crazy high. We purchased our Kawasaki Mule Pro FXR 800 from Mainland Cycle in La Marque. MSRP was $14999 and they sold it for $12999. We were farm exempt so OTD was just a little over $13500. We couldn't be happier with it. Plus it comes standard with the top, mag wheels, much better all around tires and doors, which would have cost more with the Ranger.

Also the new Kawasaki Mule Pro FXR's are not like the old Kawasaki Mules that rode rough and were slow. This tops out about 52mph and has IRS suspension. It actually rides as good or better than the Ranger. Power from the 3-cylinder motor is great and the torque is excellent.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Mule no doubt. I hate the rough/jerky takeoff in a Ranger. It’s hard to creep in a Ranger, and they are loud compared to a Mule. Also, as stated multiple times here, the Rangers tend to be in the shop more often. There is a reason Kawasaki side x sides have BY FAR the best warranty out of all the side x sides.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
        Which brand is work horse, power, speed and comfort?
        Yamaha

Comment

I see many people aren't able to read. If you're set on midsize, go ranger. Both are proven machines, but the amount of aftermarket parts for the ranger alone is worth its purchase. Plus once you test drive them, you will see why the ranger is king.

Comment

Polaris has 10% off up to $1500 and 2 year warranty right now if you're ag exempt. I'm stuck between a mule pro fxt and ranger xp1000 crew. Both right now are hard to come by but the 10% off is very persuasive.

Comment

I went with mule because of more aftermarket parts and some bad stories about how long it took to get replacement parts from Polaris. I think the Polaris is probably a little better machine, but that does me no good if it takes 2 months to get parts.

Kids busted a radiator on the mule and i found a replacement for $120. Try that with a polaris.

Comment

I have a new Mule King Ranch edition, it is a very nice machine, thinking about getting a Polaris Ranger for up at the lake, it would basically be a garage queen, from what i have seen lately you could not go wrong with either.

Comment

In for info

Comment

Following

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                      Which brand is work horse, power, speed and comfort?
                      Honda Pioneer 1000.

Only drawback is the tiny rear jump seats. But the lighter weight and shorter wheelbase more than make up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by cobbc03 View Post
                        ranger is king.
                        ...of being in the shop?

Comment

The mule is 3 wheel drive at best and weighs a lot more. I went with can am.

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
                            Which would you get and why?

Looking for single seat mid sized version. This would be for deer lease only in very wet And muddy conditions.
                            Originally posted by cobbc03 View Post
                            I see many people aren't able to read. If you're set on midsize, go ranger. Both are proven machines, but the amount of aftermarket parts for the ranger alone is worth its purchase. Plus once you test drive them, you will see why the ranger is king.
                            Totally agree !!!

Marshman asked about a single seat mid size.

I recommend Ranger 570 with electric power steering.

I live in farm country out on the gravel here in Iowa. Side by sides get used hard everyday here. I see mostly full cab Rangers and full cab Gators. I have seen 10K to 15K mile Rangers still going strong and have seen 5K mile Can Ams falling apart. It all depends on maintenance and level of abuse.

Comment

I've had both and had issues with both. if you work them hard things will break no matter who makes it. the mule is easier to repair in the field though.

Comment

The 570 is a single cylinder engine and is MUCH louder. If that matters to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X