African Plains Game Safari - Real Cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess before I tell the wife (observer) that we need to go to Africa, I should have an idea of the real cost (and convince my self we can afford it/know how much to get saved up).

I see some good looking plains game packages for $4-5k, which doesn't sound bad at all- I'd be thrilled with a Kudu, Oryx, Impala & maybe a Zebra - something like that.

So if I figure $5000 for the hunt, is airfare typically another $2000 and then getting trophies home another $3000?

Or about $10,000 total?

And is it better to have taxidermy done there or wait until you get it back?

I searched the 'Africa' threads (lots of great info) but that didn't really answer these questions.

PM inbound. Taxidermy here is always better IMO. I have a spreadsheet with all in costs from my trips I'll send you.

Comment

I just went for my first time in March for a cull package plains game hunt. $2500 package for 6 cull animals for 6 days and then I added on a kudu for $1500. Originally airfare was $1100 but we had to buy a new ticket to return home due to the rona which was another $1200. Baggage fees, travel agent and gun insurance was around $600 I believe. 50% of taxi for the kudu shoulder mount and euros on the other animals totalled $900. Then next year I will pay the remainder plus importing taxes (another 1k?). I tipped $1000 plus some product. So my realistic cost was around $9000 but could have been $3600 cheaper without flight changes, the kudu and taxi. So in conclusion probably the lowest end would be around $5000, I spent a little more since I am single and this was my first guided hunt I have paid for. I had a blast and went with some of my friends, flights sucked, about 3 days of travel each way just because of our rearranged flight schedule but that should not normally be the case.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I hunted last year with Adansonia safaris and several other TBH’ers.
        My expenses from what I recall...
        Flight $1800
        Hunt 7 days and killed kudu, impala, blesbuck, bushbuck and warthog was $7500ish
        Crate/dip/Ship/receive $1200

My buddy shot a Gemsbok, Impala, blesbuck and Nyala cow and only spent about $3500 on trophy fees and the rest of his expenses were roughly the same.

If you go you must take a few extra days to do a photo safari! We spent 3 days at Pilanesberg and saw the big 5 and tons of other animals.
        I had never really thought about S Africa and one day saw a post on TBH and a year later I was there. Incredibly trip and I would find a way to make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My wife and I went 4 years ago and I took 6 animals: Kudu, Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, Zebra and Warthog.

I had all European Mounts except for the Zebra skull and all flat skins except for the Warthog. On the Zebra I did a rig with black felt trim. I had everything done at a taxidermy Studio in Polokwane, which our outfitter highly recommended.

All in, and I mean everything included was right at $17,500. I considered that at the time to be very reasonable.

From talking to my friends who have gone in the past year prior to this Pandemic and then those planning on going next year, the prices are even less expensive than when we went.

It is definitely a trip of a lifetime and my next one will be for Cape Buffalo combined with a photo safari.

Comment

I went last August with Kuche Safaris. Killed a warthog, duiker, baboon, blue wildebeest, zebra, eland, springbok, nyala, sable. Spent around $15k with flights and taxidermy. I told them I was done twice and they kept cutting deals on my bill to get me to keep shooting. Bring lots of arrows haha.

Comment

My wife and I went 2016. I shot 11 animals kudu,waterbuck,nyala,gemsbok,wildebeest,2zebra,2im pala,blesbok,warthog. Everything except taxidermy came to around 14k

Comment

Just budget $15-20k all in.

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTIN HARD View Post
                  My wife and I went 2016. I shot 11 animals kudu,waterbuck,nyala,gemsbok,wildebeest,2zebra,2im pala,blesbok,warthog. Everything except taxidermy came to around 14k

Thank you. Hate to ask it but the taxi bill come out to about half that? More? Less? I would love to go to Africa but I have thought the taxi bill would be about the same or slightly less. Will confess that I’m ignorant on the subject.

Comment

I went with my wife and son. We shot 3 Impalas, Wildebeest, Kudu, Nyala, Warthog, Gemsbock, and a Sable. We spent about $20K with flights and dip, pack, and shipping the trophies back. If taking rifles I would highly recommend riflepermits.com, they made getting rifles through customs extremely easy.

Not 100% on my taxidermy bill, but will likely be in the $7K range, since the Nyala will be a full body mount

Comment

Rladner forwarded me his spreadsheet before my African trip and it helped me budget my money for unforeseen expenses and add on trophies.
                      Still owe you some beers rladner!if you’re ever in San Antonio!

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
                        Thank you. Hate to ask it but the taxi bill come out to about half that? More? Less? I would love to go to Africa but I have thought the taxi bill would be about the same or slightly less. Will confess that I’m ignorant on the subject.

You can safely say about 1k an animal. I did couple a year so you don’t get hit all at once.

Comment

I went with in 2017 and killed an impala, Kudu,zebra, Wildebeest, Gemsbuck, white blesbuck, and 2 warthogs. After tips and all mounted back in the states I was at 19K.

Comment

Working...
                          X