Varmint Load for 6.5 Creedmoor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Varmint Load for 6.5 Creedmoor

As the title states, I'm looking for a new 6.5 Creedmoor load for varmints.

I've been shooting a 143 grain ELD-X over 41.5 grains of H4350 for everything. This load has been an absolute hammer on larger game; however, it doesn't seem to perform near as well as I would like on coyotes and bobcats and doesn't seem to have much expansion.

Fur damage is not a concern to me at all, I just want a bullet that is devastating on smaller game, while still maintaining very good accuracy out to 400-ish yards.

I'll be shooting these out of a 22" 1-8" twist barrel with a suppressor.

Video worth watching on bullet performance at 200 yds
    [ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d88AEkWNXdk"]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d88AEkWNXdk[/ame]

Comment

129gr

Comment

Try the hornady black 140gr BTHP.
        Shoots great, and they make a hole

Comment

I found a box of 95gr Hornady V-Max’s for the Creedmoor at Academy. Bought a box of em to test out. Wish I’d have bought all they had. Can’t seem to find em anymore.
          They shot great and through the chronograph was getting 3200 FPS average of 5 shots.
          Haven’t gotten to test em on pigs or totes yet though.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpshooter1 View Post
            I found a box of 95gr Hornady V-Max’s for the Creedmoor at Academy. Bought a box of em to test out. Wish I’d have bought all they had. Can’t seem to find em anymore.
            They shot great and through the chronograph was getting 3200 FPS average of 5 shots.
            Academy at Victoria had maybe 8 boxes yesterday evening when I was there.

They are under the pistol ammo nearest the gun counter.

Comment

Midway USA has some Varmit loads.

Comment

i bought a box but havent messed with them yet. How much POI did you have from you standard load?

My standard load is 140amax.

Comment

Hand load or factory ammo?

Comment

Originally posted by mkk View Post
                    Hand load or factory ammo?

Hand load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've worked up one that I really like. Barnes 120g TSX pushed by Varget or RL17. Although not as consistent as the 140g/H4350 combo still able to shoot just under 1 MOA

Comment

Atwoods carries them I remember where I bought mine now.

Comment

I know little about the 6.5 Creedmoor as I have not jumped on that bandwagon but I have shot a number of different varmint calibers over the years. I am certainly in my own paradigm when I think about varmint calibers and bullet weights so when I ask my question, it is because I truly don't know the answer.

Is the 6.5 CM designed to shoot well a really light for caliber bullet, say 70-80 gr? Most of what I have read are guys shooting in the 143 gr range of bullet that has a high B.C. and a slower muzzle velocity of 2800-2900 fps. So, having said that, does a lighter bullet take away from where the sweet spot the 6.5 CM was designed to perform?

Comment

I used to shoot the 147 ELD-M. Kinda like the A-max and it should cover what you need on all aspects. I was max in the 2850 range but accuracy node was 2775 or so with RL16. Puts big holes in deer and honestly think it works better than the ELD-X

Comment

This is a Vmax bullet so should do a lot better on softer predators. Also hauling ***** at 3300 fps.

Comment

Working...
                              X