Lady Trap Shooters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lady Trap Shooters

Any lady trap shooters? I love shooting trap and want to see if my wife has any interest. Curious which shotgun would be good to get her started. I thought about buying her a 28Ga O/U but not sure that’s gives her the best gauge to break the clays. Seems like a 20ga might be the best to start her on and let her move to a 12ga if she doesn’t mind the bigger gun. Also looking at the Browning BT-99 with the adjustable stock but I only see those in a 12g.

Any help from the GS would be appreciated. Also, if you have a trap gun that would work well for her I’m looking to buy one. Thanks!

28 will break clays all day! If you like that browning shotgun look for a set of tubes to bring the 12 gauge down to smaller caliber to shoot like 20 or 28! Good luck

Comment

My husband took me shopping for a shotgun last year. My husband strongly encouraged me to buy a 28 over a 20 for shooting trap, sporting clays, and wing shooting. The guy at the gun store agreed saying that while the difference in weight between the two is generally no more than eight to ten ounces, the lighter gun will be easier to quickly position in my shoulder and on my cheek and, too, that I would also appreciate the lighter gun when carrying in the field for several hours. I was concerned about the lack of power in the 28 but the difference is negligible, if any.

So, turns out hubby and gun guy were right. Yes, I said it: my husband was right!

Comment

That’s awesome! Thanks to both for the info. I used to shoot trap with a 28g but was just horsing around with a buddies o/u. I didn’t know if the 28 was at a disadvantage with the number of shot in the shell. This might actually be the best of both worlds, I have been wanting a 28, just never pulled the trigger. Thanks again for the input.

Comment

My daughter shoots a Benelli Super Sport 12 ga and likes it a lot, all 100 pounds of her. A bit pricey, but that's all she wanted for her graduation from Rice with her MBA, so what could dad say.
          It's a nice handling gun

Comment

Congrats dad on the Rice grad, That’s a great gift.

Comment

Beretta A400 in 20g

28g shells are pricey and availability can be an issue at times

Comment

Hard to solve problem “20 ga or 28 ga”: the tradeoff between ThisLadyHunts (cool Avatar pic!) actual gun carrying opinion about 28 ga weight, versus mkk point about 28 ga shells availability and price. Both make a good case, I don’t know the answer to that one. Maybe buy a 28 ga and a reloader for 28 ga?

Easy to solve problem: wsteffen deciding to get his MBA Rice degree daughter her graduation request. Way to go dad, congratulations to your daughter, and to you for getting her that Benelli.

Comment

I’m not a woman but shot trap for years. I would get her a Berretta auto loader and have a recoil shock piston type mechanism installed. I used the “Soft Touch”. There was one called a “ Carey Comb”.

Haven’t been involved with trap is maybe 25 years or so ? But I still have my Perazzi TMX ! Lol bet it’s worth a ton of cake too ? Guy who choked it, Tom Seitz died in a gas propane suffocation while hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My wife shoots a 20 ga sxs for trap/skeet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mikerosa View Post
                      I’m not a woman but shot trap for years. I would get her a Berretta auto loader and have a recoil shock piston type mechanism installed. I used the “Soft Touch”. There was one called a “ Carey Comb”.

Haven’t been involved with trap is maybe 25 years or so ? But I still have my Perazzi TMX ! Lol bet it’s worth a ton of cake too ? Guy who choked it, Tom Seitz died in a gas propane suffocation while hunting.

My grandson shot a Zoli. Both too rich for my blood.

Comment

My opinion is get her a 12ga if she can handle it. I used to shoot competitively - several woman I shot with would start with a 20 then move to a 12 within 6 months - granted this is competition shooting not just shooting for fun.

Best option would be to let her handle all the guns and see which fits her best - 12/20/28 doesn’t matter if the gun is uncomfortable. I say this with experience - know several people who got Krieghoff or Blaser shotguns whenever they shot their low dollar Remington better.

Comment

Beretta A400 12 gauge with Kickoff. Daughter shot one all through High School in competition. Sometimes 200 shots/day. She is petite. No issues.

Comment

A O/U would be good and not sure if 12 vs 20 makes that big a difference as you can get loads that are around the same ounce of shot. If recoil is main concern I would go 20 or smaller. Can also add weight like a mercury recoil reducer to help out.

Comment

My Daughter started with a Beretta Outlander 300 sporting 12 guage(good entry level) in 8th grade,still shooting same gun at meets 3yrs later.If she likes shooting the skys the limit on guns,but whether a 12 will be to much is individual ,I see alot of middle school kids with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X