Forget the Alamo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forget the Alamo

I know we have a lot of prolific readers, history buffs and seekers of the truth here on the green screen. A newly published book titled "Forget the Alamo" presents a new story of one of the most iconic historical engagements in Texas history. I plan on purchasing and reading it. I'm curious if there are others here that have considered the same.

Nope

Comment

ummmm, Nope....

Comment

Read the link. Not interested in the book. The title itself is automatic no go. If we forget the Alamo, we have lost a huge part of our heritage and what sets Texas apart from the rest of the nation. Not buying into the "woke" crowd.

Comment

I won't buy/read that carp. I also wish there was never any slavery in our country. Can you just imagine that?

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
            I won't buy/read that carp.
            Definitely seems fishy.

Comment

Sounds like the recent Time Magazine article I saw, basically refuting the heroics of the men who fought there, stating there was a large portion who ran rather than fight, that Crockett surrendered in the thick of the battle, and that the Texans were basically radicals who simply didn’t want to pay their taxes in the new country they had moved into. Made my blood boil reading it. Trash

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
                Definitely seems fishy.
                Yeah, I got an infraction for trying to get around the swear monitor, even though others have gotten away with worse.

Comment

No way

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                    Yeah, I got an infraction for trying to get around the swear monitor, even though others have gotten away with worse.
                    Ahh, just struck me funny. I'm usually posting from my phone so mine are generally filled with typos.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
                      Sounds like the recent Time Magazine article I saw, basically refuting the heroics of the men who fought there, stating there was a large portion who ran rather than fight, that Crockett surrendered in the thick of the battle, and that the Texans were basically radicals who simply didn’t want to pay their taxes in the new country they had moved into. Made my blood boil reading it. Trash

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.co...hs/%3famp=true
                      This must be what Rinella refers to from time to time.

Comment

I'll pass on the revisionist history.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.co...hs/%3famp=true

They say this, like it is a bad thing

Comment

This is a book I would not consider reading. Something shared by Judge and Podcaster, Justice Ken Wise; Jerry Patterson read and reviewed the book:

Jerry Patterson
                            Forget "Forget the Alamo".
                            FORGET THE “FORGET THE ALAMO” BOOK:
                            IT’S OPINION, NOT HISTORY
                            Jerry Patterson
                            The authors of the recently released book, “Forget the Alamo” (Chris Tomlinson, Brian Burrough and Jason Stanford) need to sharpen their fact checking skills. They also need to be called out on their omission of facts that belie their premise that the Texas revolution was all about slavery.
                            While the book contains many factual errors, what the book didn’t mention is noteworthy:
                            1-To determine the causes of any revolution, a 7th grader would know the first place to look is the pertinent declaration of independence. The Texas Declaration of Independence lists 6 general and 14 specific causes for rebellion. Slavery wasn’t even mentioned. Apparently, slavery as a cause ranked no higher than # 21. The book contains no discussion of the Texas Declaration of Independence and when challenged, the authors non-sequitur response is that slavery is explicitly enabled in the 1836 Texas constitution. Huh? Reasons for rebellion are found in declarations of independence, not in constitutions.
                            2- Also conveniently ignored are the five or more NON-SLAVE HOLDING Mexican states (Zacatecas, Yucatan, Tabasco, Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas) in rebellion at THE SAME TIME AND FOR THE SAME REASONS: Santa Annas’ abrogation of the Mexican Constitution of 1824, his removal of elected Governor’s, and his dissolution of state legislatures were considered the last straw by ALL Mexicans, not just Texans and Tejanos. In fact, the Constitution of 1824 was so important to Texans one of their battle flags was a Mexican tri-color with 1824 in the center white panel.
                            3-Ignored were the prominent members of the “Peace Party” who WERE slave owners. Stephen F. Austin (Empresario/”Father of Texas”), Thomas J. Chambers (Texas Chief Justice), David G Burnet (Interim President), and Josiah Bell (Alcalde/Austin confidant) OPPOSED war and independence. The majority of the peace faction adherents were slave owners and opposed the rebellion until late 1835. Author Andrew Torget, in his book on Texas slavery “Seeds of Empire” noted on page 174, “As late as the first months of 1836, many rebels in Texas, both Anglos and Tejanos, wanted nothing more that the restoration of the 1824 Constitution – it was not until the arrival of Santa Anna’s army on Texas soil that the revolt against centralism became widely embraced as a fight for independence”.
                            4-The vast majority of Texas combatants weren’t slave owners and weren’t inclined to die for members of the planter/slave owner class. In fact, one who fought at Gonzales and died at the Alamo was Amos Pollard, an educated Massachusetts physician and ardent abolitionist. Pollards pro abolition letters were published by leading abolitionist, William Lloyd Garrison, in his pamphlet “The Liberator”. Sixty of those who died at the Alamo were from European countries or Northern states where slavery was illegal and likely weren’t fighting for slavery. In “Empire for Slavery”, author Randolph B. Campbell wrote on page 48, “The institution (slavery) was not a primary issue…the immediate cause of conflict was the political instability and the implications of Santa Anna’s centralist regime…”.
                            Two more egregious (and exemplary of the authors bias) errors are: 1- their claim Lorenzo de Zavala was the subject of disdain and racism, and 2- that Texas soldiers raped Mexican army camp followers at San Jacinto. However, when you read their source citations, the exact opposite is revealed: de Zavala was described as being “held in high esteem” by Anglo Texans, and instead of raping, Texan soldiers protected camp followers.
                            There is one thing the authors and I agree on. Texas should embrace the whole story of our revolutionary history instead of the “Anglo good, Mexican bad” narrative Texans suffered through for a hundred plus years. This is not a new idea.
                            The DRT decades ago began seriously recognizing the contributions of Tejanos to our history. In every speech I gave on the Alamo I recited the names of the Tejanos who died at the Alamo or fought at San Jacinto. I also noted that the first illegals coming to Texas were Anglos crossing the Sabine River not Mexicans crossing the Rio Grande.
                            The purpose behind “Forget the Alamo” is to sell copies, not to add to the body of history. Nothing wrong with that. In the woke world of today, the timing is impeccable.
                            However, the facts found in this book aren’t impeccable. I hope Texans will recognize this isn’t a history book – it is an op-ed.
                            Remember the Alamo.
                            Jerry Patterson is a former Texas Senator, former Texas Land Commissioner, and a retired Marine Vietnam vet. He resides in Austin.
                            jerrypattersontexas@gmail.com
                            512-740-5650

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
                              I know we have a lot of prolific readers, history buffs and seekers of the truth here on the green screen. A newly published book titled "Forget the Alamo" presents a new story of one of the most iconic historical engagements in Texas history. I plan on purchasing and reading it. I'm curious if there are others here that have considered the same.
                              Read north from Mexico & With Santa Anna in Texas: A Personal Narrative of the Revolution.1st , lots of the told story about the battle of the Alamo is Parable based off myths
                              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 07-15-2021, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X