? for Type 2 Diabetics and.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? for Type 2 Diabetics and.....

I'm having problems controlling my A1C, morning glucose tests are way too high and I know it's my fault for lack of self control over the past several months. I'm back on the regimen for food intake I know I have to maintain for the remaining years ahead. The "athletic days" are way gone and the belly has grown but at least I can still see my toes! I'm 68 yrs old and diabetes is prevalent for males in our family.

My question: Have any of you tried the Apple Cider Vinegar supplement to help with belly fat loss and subsequent reduction for insulin resistance?

My leg/hip joints with arthritis make it so difficult to attain the cardio results to help with weight reduction.

Any suggestions from experience to help get this under control are welcomed?

I'm in your boat with 2 kinds of meds. Blood sugar is high when I wake up but go down in an hour or so. My A1C is always 7.3 -7.7. I don't have any answers for you. Sorry.

Comment

Yep!

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      I'm in your boat with 2 kinds of meds. Blood sugar is high when I wake up but go down in an hour or so. My A1C is always 7.3 -7.7. I don't have any answers for you. Sorry.
      If you are like me, I test and inject in the morning, so I am always at the end of the "once a day" 24 hour insulin injection in the morning. I try to account for being at the end of the previous day therapy, but it's really at the point now I'm stressed and worried about the progression of this blasted disease and once again, my poor choices in diet have caught up to me!

Thanks for your response....Diabetes Type 2, as you probably know, is the MOST diagnosed long term health issue in the USA now. Those who may read this OP, particularly if they have a genetic/family history I can only hope take it serious and realize you/we/I are not bullet proof.

Comment

I control mine with diet, I’m 45 and gave up a lot of sugars but still eat carbs. A1c are around 6.2

Comment

I sometimes have a dash of apple cider vinegar in my 32oz ice water. Takes a bit of get-n used to at first. Then becomes easier with time, adding more. Kinda like beer when I was a kid.

Can be very refreshing. Supposed to help lower blood uric acid as well (which I have a problem with, and a host of other problems). But no scientific proof on it.

I changed my diet big time just over 2 years ago. I lost 50 lbs on a very strict diet between June 2019 and Oct 2019. Was a 6.0-6.1 A1c. Got it down to 5.0-5.1, and my cholesterol back to normal last year. I still take cholesterol meds. But don't have to take anything for my A1c. I've since gained back about 12-14 lbs. But trying hard to keep control. My biggest problem is over eating, not so much of what I eat. My joints do feel a lot better. But being HLA-B27 positive don't help much. Will prob start Humira in Oct now that this covid stuff is dying down. That should help with the inflammation and my back fusing it's self together. As to meat, I only buy chicken or turkey from the store now. Otherwise, it's all wild game when I can get it. No shell fish of any kind. No red meat fish of any kind. Only some saltwater species. But good on most freshwater species except trout and salmon. Only veggies the rest of the time.
          One other thing< I don't eat sweets. I don't care for cake and ice cream. Or any kind of candy. Gave all that up back in the 1980s. Can hardly stand anything like that now. Cold drinks are OK. Some juices. But surgery stuff is out!
          Last edited by Texas Grown; 07-12-2021, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Have you tried a GLP-1 agonist like Metformin or Ozempic? It is my understanding that the decrease insulin resistance while also lower triglycerides and cholesterol levels. As an added bonus, they are also supposed to encourage weight loss, especially abdominal visceral fat.

Comment

Have not tried the Apple Cider Vinegar stuff. I’m on 2 different meds and try to keep my A1C down with diet. It’s not easy!!! I try and stay from sweets but it is a fight.

Wish I could be a bigger help.

Comment

I eat most of what I want but in moderate portions . . Candy and sweets are minimal, if at all, Fruit has replaced them . . Lots of vegetables . . Not many carbs . . Nothing nutritiously dangerous at night . . It's taken me 6 yrs to get to this point . . A1C is 5.5 to 6.1 . . I made this sign to remind me . . Good luck . . Metformin and Glimepiride . .
                Last edited by Sharecropper; 07-12-2021, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                  Diabetes Type 2, as you probably know, is the MOST diagnosed long term health issue in the USA now. Those who may read this OP, particularly if they have a genetic/family history I can only hope take it serious and realize you/we/I are not bullet proof.
                  Do you mind if i ask you...looking back what do you attribute it to? (Your case in particular)

Comment

IMHO, Apple Cider Vinegar is just a stealth internet advertising promotion.

please excuse brevity and dictation errors.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                      Do you mind if i ask you...looking back what do you attribute it to? (Your case in particular)
                      1st factor is predisposed to diabetes from family history, male side. My Dad and several of his brothers all were diabetics starting mostly in their late 50's, same with me. I've always had a sweet tooth but cut out the sweets "most" of the time. One big factor has been the ability to exercise. Joint issues with a knee and hip beginning in my 50's. I was a gym rat in my younger years, power lifting and such but that was over when I was about 60+-.

Wife and I were on the Keto lifestyle and it made a big difference, but then got lazy and back on too many carbs, so several factors.

Comment

I'm having problems controlling my A1C, morning glucose tests are way too high and I know it's my fault for lack of self control over the past several months. I'm back on the regimen for food intake I know I have to maintain for the remaining years ahead. The "athletic days" are way gone and the belly has grown but at least I can still see my toes! I'm 68 yrs old and diabetes is prevalent for males in our family.

My question: Have any of you tried the Apple Cider Vinegar supplement to help with belly fat loss and subsequent reduction for insulin resistance?

My leg/hip joints with arthritis make it so difficult to attain the cardio results to help with weight reduction.

Any suggestions from experience to help get this under control are welcomed?
                        Apple cider vinegar is not something to hang your hat on. Incremental changes in diet and exercise leading to a complete lifestyle change can do wonders. Try going to a dietician who specialized in clean eating and health not some over weight doctor that says "Follow a balance diet" and take these pills. I would suggest looking into foods that don't spike your insulin levels and ensure your getting the recommended amount of proteins. Obviously I'm not a doctor just some guy on the internet, but your number one priority should what you eat and how much exercise you get daily. It's all about momentum, a little nudge in the right direction daily turns into lasting changes.

Good luck!!!

Comment

K Bear all I can say is I was in your boat. I have Type 2 diabetes, on top of that had a small stroke. I felt bad with pain in my joints and basically felt like I couldn't do anything I was so out of shape. When I could no longer mow my grass and the guys on my deer lease were having to help me all of the time I knew I had to figure out something. Dr told me if I didn't start exercising I would end up with a walker or wheel chair. So I went to the Senior Center near my house and started working out. I was embarrassed at how weak I was. Could only do 3 sets of 10 pounds on the bench press. Although Covid shut me down for a bit I can now do 3 sets of 10 at 70 pounds. I hit it everyday from 7:00-8:30. Some days are harder than others, but I can mow my grass and fill my own feeders. I am 67 years old and haven't felt this good in years. I still hurt but I can tolerate it much better. You got to start somewhere. Good Luck to you. I did the Apple cider vinegar for awhile. I mixed it with honey and some lemon juice and zapped in the microwave a couple of seconds. Tasted terrible but I did think it helped some but really not that much.

Comment

1st factor is predisposed to diabetes from family history, male side. My Dad and several of his brothers all were diabetics starting mostly in their late 50's, same with me. I've always had a sweet tooth but cut out the sweets "most" of the time. One big factor has been the ability to exercise. Joint issues with a knee and hip beginning in my 50's. I was a gym rat in my younger years, power lifting and such but that was over when I was about 60+-.

Wife and I were on the Keto lifestyle and it made a big difference, but then got lazy and back on too many carbs, so several factors.
                            Thank you for the reply sir

Comment

I have had to deal with Type 2 Diabetes for years, my A1C is always around 7.4 and my doctor has me injecting 6 units before lunch and 10 units before dinner. Then if my glucose is above 160 at bedtime I inject 20 units.

The only thing that seems to help my glucose level is walking 1 - 2 miles a day. I can't run and don't want to, so I walk when I can and have tried to limit my food intake ..... but not very good at that!

My doctor said its in my genes. And some people have Wranglers or Levi's .... I got Walmart genes!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X