Fishing in Galveston Bay/Clear Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing in Galveston Bay/Clear Lake

So I grew up in Nassau Bay and we used to fish clear lake a bunch. Kept fish and ate them.

Just saw this on the TPWD. Is this new?

So this means Clear Lake is good but not the creek right?

Clear Creek upstream and west of Clear Lake in Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston and Harris counties

dioxins
    polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)
    Persons should not consume any species of fish from these waters

That's been on there for 4+ years that I know of, but that's when I first found it. Someone may know more.

Comment

It's been in place for a while, they increased the area after the ship channel was dredged a few years back to basically all of Galveston Bay. If you heat your grease above 325 degrees when you fry them the PCB's will jump out of the oil and then it's safe to eat. Remember I'm not an expert, I just play one at work.

Comment

The odds of that being what kills you is pretty small.

Comment

They say don't eat the wild fish because it could contain a trace amount of PCB, but they say your perfectly ok to go to Krogers and get farmed fish and seafood that are chalked full of growth hormones, chemicals and antibiotics.

Sorry didn't mean to derail....this has always just struck a nerve with me. And yes I understand "they" are 2 different people.

Comment

Originally posted by BayouCat View Post
            That's been on there for 4+ years that I know of, but that's when I first found it. Someone may know more.
            Been that way for over 25 years. The Brio superfund toxic waste sight is on Dixie farm about a half mile from Clear Creek.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Comment

Also be aware of the San Jac Waste Pits at the I-10 bridge. International Paper is cleaning it up, but it is leaching PCB and dioxin into the River, which feeds Galveston Bay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have lived in Nassau Bay for the last 16 years. We let our kids catch fish when they were younger but we always threw them back. They are older now and just do not fish unless we go to Sam Rayburn. I agree with some of the statements above. Plenty of other things to watch out for. As far as the Brio site.....I would not want to live anywhere close to that place. Shocked that there are so many houses next to it now. I guess some new home owners do not know much about it. My Father-in-Law worked in waste treatment long ago and he told my Wife and I to absolutely NOT buy close to that area.

Comment

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
                  I have lived in Nassau Bay for the last 16 years. We let our kids catch fish when they were younger but we always threw them back. They are older now and just do not fish unless we go to Sam Rayburn. I agree with some of the statements above. Plenty of other things to watch out for. As far as the Brio site.....I would not want to live anywhere close to that place. Shocked that there are so many houses next to it now. I guess some new home owners do not know much about it. My Father-in-Law worked in waste treatment long ago and he told my Wife and I to absolutely NOT buy close to that area.
                  Yep, crazy the just built a new subdivision right next to it. I guess they think the chain link fence with stop the toxic waste.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                    Yep, crazy the just built a new subdivision right next to it. I guess they think the chain link fence with stop the toxic waste.
                    Yep......supposedly they put in cement to a certain depth but......After listening to stories about waste treatment from my FIL over the years I would rather eat the fish from Clear Lake.

Comment

Seems like it’s almost no fish from any water ....almost

Redfish...we can eat redfish

We can eat a 36” kingfish but not a 35”

I pay very little attention to this nonsense

Comment

i cant imagine it being too much worse than a fish from the bay

Comment

Oysters in Galveston bay are good though?

Seems fishy.

Comment

Working...
                          X