Let’s talk 44 mag...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let’s talk 44 mag...

I’ve got a contender with a 10-12” magna ported barrel that I want to start playing with. I plan on putting a red dot on it probably something like a holosun or something similar.

I have played with a few bullets in it but not much of anything. I currently have a lot of Berry’s plated projctiles I think 240gr and a couple boxes of 225/265 hornady FTX bullets.

I have a lot of powder but will probably try h110 or lil gun.

This will be a hog/deer fun gun.

Post em if you got em! Kills, guns, load data!

I love the Nosler 240gr JSP for higher velocity use (rifle). I’ve used 2400 and other powders, but my go to is of course H110 for the full power fun stuff and Unique for mild loads.

Definitely definitely definitely experiment with some hardcast bullets. The 250gr Keith bullet is a one and done if it’ll will shoot in your gun. Accurate, cheap, and kills deer/hogs at even mild velocities.

You might also experiment with reducing your loads as a recoil luxury. The longer barrel will give you some free velocity at a certain charge weight, so you can back off the powder (and recoil) and get the same velocity as what would be effective from a revolver.

Lots of fun to be had with the 44mag!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

My go to is H110 for powder. Always gives me good velocity and accuracy. A few of my favorite bullets…Hornady 240 XTP for thin skinned animals, Speer 270 Deep curls when I can find them, and Swift 280 A Frames for any animal on earth. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
        I love the Nosler 240gr JSP for higher velocity use (rifle). I’ve used 2400 and other powders, but my go to is of course H110 for the full power fun stuff and Unique for mild loads.

Definitely definitely definitely experiment with some hardcast bullets. The 250gr Keith bullet is a one and done if it’ll will shoot in your gun. Accurate, cheap, and kills deer/hogs at even mild velocities.

You might also experiment with reducing your loads as a recoil luxury. The longer barrel will give you some free velocity at a certain charge weight, so you can back off the powder (and recoil) and get the same velocity as what would be effective from a revolver.

Lots of fun to be had with the 44mag!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info!

The last loads I worked up were brutal so I’ll definitely be balancing recoil and velocity. I’ve heard great things about the Keith style hard cast and I’ll look into those for sure!

Comment

I prefer larger bullets at slower velocity for deep penetration. I run 300gr wadcutters at 900 - 950 fps and the recoil is very manageable. I haven't tried them on hogs yet, but I expect they'll do fine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by andre3k View Post
            I prefer larger bullets at slower velocity for deep penetration. I run 300gr wadcutters at 900 - 950 fps and the recoil is very manageable. I haven't tried them on hogs yet, but I expect they'll do fine.

Beautiful! I need to find me some big boys to play with! Where did you get those bullets?

Comment

Originally posted by andre3k View Post

post your load data if you can .. i'e got 2 TC's i've been playing with .. one 8" TC and one 16" encore . played with 300's lead and could not get them consistent .. xtp's seem to do ok but hard to find in 300's.. but i'm trying to keep them subs to stay quiet .. i have not found the perfect recipe yet ... i use a 45 cal can on both.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXUWhLaK18o&ab_channel=standbackitsgonnabl o"]AGM Taipan TM15 Racoon @ 50 yards Warning Graphic content. - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Twenty one grains 2400 and a Sierra JHC 240 grain out of that 10" is a really good load. I have been using that load for years.

Comment

Here is the said contender I just need to pick up a red dot for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txchuck View Post
                    Twenty one grains 2400 and a Sierra JHC 240 grain out of that 10" is a really good load. I have been using that load for years.

Thanks I’ll have to pick up some 2400 if I can’t get h110 to work.

Do you crimp your loads?

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                      Thanks I’ll have to pick up some 2400 if I can’t get h110 to work.

Do you crimp your loads?

I do mine. Heavy crimp for 2400, 296, and 110. Mag primer to set it off.

If you want milder loads, load up some 44Spl.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

The 250-ish Keith bullet is great especially for larger game but the truth in my experience is using the 240gr JSP as the “standard” has the most advantages. None of the other wonder loads do anything significant over the standard. The only standouts are the 180gr pills at about 2,200 fps. Terminally most 44 Mag is about equal on smaller game, 400lbs or less.

Comment

I loaded some 200gr hornady hollow points with h110 in a golden big boy. Chronoed at 1980fps. I have one of the most epic shots on video ever. When played in slow mo you can see bullet flight and impact looks like a doe got hit with a 5 gallon bucket of red water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Ran to academy and picked up a sig Romeo 5 for the 44 looks nice, let’s see if it’ll hold up to this hand cannon.

Comment

funny you mentioned, i loaded some 320 grain this weekend, went with 14.7 grains of No.9, also loaded some 240 grain coated bullets and some 180 grain XTP... hopefully i can shoot them soon
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X