Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-03-2021, 10:57 PM   #1
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard
Default Kids and phones ?

At what age did you get yíall kids a cell phone ? My kid is starting to bug the heck out of me to get her one .
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2021, 10:58 PM   #2
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Jcjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2021, 11:14 PM   #3
Pope
Six Point

Hunt In: Coleman

14, when he started high school. Got him a new one for a Christmas gift his freshmen year in college. That first phone lasted 4.5 years.
Pope is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2021, 11:29 PM   #4
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public

My oldest is 11.5 and I havent even gave it a thought. I've tossed around 13-14... mainly when they start after school extracurricular activities.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
hully1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2021, 11:41 PM   #5
BlessedVeteran0305
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dont have a lease

Being in the military and gone a lot, and my wife being very sick, both of my boys got their first ones at 12. They only used them for getting in touch with me if something was wrong with mama. If my wife or I get an upgrade, they get our hand me down as their upgrade. May be it was a little early for them but when your wife has metal all throughout her mid section and a feeding tube you have no choice.
BlessedVeteran0305 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2021, 11:42 PM   #6
Terran28
Four Point

Hunt In: Wherever is free and/or cheap

When they can pay their own bill. I am not buying them one and they can buy one themselves when they get a job. Same with cars. Worked for me and has worked for my oldest, 2 more kids to go...
Terran28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 12:16 AM   #7
BlackoutRam2500
Eight Point

My oldest turns 13 in a couple of months... thought hasn't even entered my mind or his.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
BlackoutRam2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 12:38 AM   #8
Strummer
Pope & Young

I donít want to do it yet. My wife is on the fence about . Leaning towards getting her one .
Old 06-04-2021, 03:30 AM   #9
savin yours
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas

My oldest was bugging us like crazy too. We compromisedÖ.we gave them both old phones of ours that are not activated, but the can get on wireless at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
savin yours is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 04:56 AM   #10
Crazzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Strummer,
We got our kids one when they started middle school.
I hate to say it but they used it a lot for school and it helped us to communicate with them about practice times and what not.
Crazzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 05:31 AM   #11
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

If I was in that...window of my life ...I think Freshman in HS ..Put on charger in my room and off at nite 2130..and if any grades slip below a C phone would be mine tell next report card thats C or better..............You can use it as a tool if ya play your cards right!!!!!!
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 05:33 AM   #12
tazhunter0
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can!!!

Mine got one when she was 5-6 yrs. It only would call 5 or 6 numbers and they had to be programmed into it by a parent. Only those 5-6 people knew that number also, she could not even give it out.
Only reason she had it was her grandmother, mom or me would pick her up from school and she called to let them know she was picked up. I worked weird hours like her mom. Grandmother usually got her.
tazhunter0 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 05:54 AM   #13
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Check out Gabb Wireless phones. Call, text and camera ability with gps tracking and NOTHING ELSE. All these children with a full blown "Smart" phone blow my mind. Volunteering at my daughter's Elementary pre-covid, I can't tell you how many kids had snap chat, YouTube access, etc....and the emotional stresses that came with them.

Children have absolutely NO NEED for a smart phone!
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 05:55 AM   #14
DKirk
Ten Point

We got ours when they started Junior high and after school sports.
DKirk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 06:08 AM   #15
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

16 with heavy restrictions! Cell phones are a Huge responsibility and they aren’t even ready at 16. So many parents use them as baby sitters and allow full access . Most parents do have No idea as to what their children are exposed to! IMHO kids should remain kids - they don’t need that kind of stimulation and it doesn’t matter what other parents are allowing their children to do! These children are Our responsibility and by caving to our children’s wants we are being very irresponsible! Grown Adults are addicted to their cell phones, do you really want that for a child?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 06:11 AM   #16
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran28 View Post
When they can pay their own bill. I am not buying them one and they can buy one themselves when they get a job. Same with cars. Worked for me and has worked for my oldest, 2 more kids to go...
Yes This!!!
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 06:25 AM   #17
FireNguns
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Montague, Wise

I just got my 8 year old daughter an angel watch. It allows me to track her at all times. She can call, video call or text only the numbers I put in the address book. Also has an SOS button that automatically call 3 programmed numbers over and over until someone answer. Has a bunch a health monitors like temp, o2, heart rate, etc…. No internet or social media apps and doesn’t receive unknown calls not approved by parent app. Very secure and good way to keep tabs on here when she is playing with friends around our small town.
Watch was $159 and $10 a month unlimited att
FireNguns is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 06:36 AM   #18
Tyrex750
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hardin co.

Gave me daughter one at around 10 yrs old
Tyrex750 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 06:36 AM   #19
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sparkman,Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazzy View Post
Strummer,
We got our kids one when they started middle school.
I hate to say it but they used it a lot for school and it helped us to communicate with them about practice times and what not.
Same,
my daughter was in Band, Softball as well as Volleyball and powerlifting, so it was useful for her as well as us.. but if i had to do it again, probably not, as my son would constantly go over,(this was back when there was no unlimited)

but every parent is different as well as the situation
Chief Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 06:43 AM   #20
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 06:50 AM   #21
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX & North TX

We got them one when they were in 7th grade because of sports, practices, etc. It made communication so much easier. When I was growing up I had to try to find a pay phone to communicate that stuff with my parents which wasn't always easy. Also, at that age they were old enough to stay home by themselves at times, and since I haven't had a home phone since the 90's, they needed some form of communication while there by themselves. It's a tool that can be used differently by different people. One 13 year old is not necessarily equal to the next. It's like anything else, with boundaries and moderation, it's not a problem.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 06:56 AM   #22
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

When they started driving and with stipulations
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 07:04 AM   #23
Jon Stewart
Six Point

WHY. You made it without one when you were young. I know I did. IMHO it is part of the dumbing down of America. Just make an effort to look at people the next time you are out in public. You will be one of the few without out a phone up to your face. What the heck is SO important that people need to be on those things all day long?

I know they can come handy like when you need an ambulance or a wrecker but to walk around with one at your face all day long is nuts and now you are considering letting your teenage kids to do the same thing?

Nothing beats sitting in a restaurant looking at a table of 4 all on a phone.
Jon Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 07:09 AM   #24
gemini2759
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jim Hogg, public land

When they get their driver's license.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 07:11 AM   #25
Cory.Shumate
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stewart View Post
WHY. You made it without one when you were young. I know I did. IMHO it is part of the dumbing down of America. Just make an effort to look at people the next time you are out in public. You will be one of the few without out a phone up to your face. What the heck is SO important that people need to be on those things all day long?

I know they can come handy like when you need an ambulance or a wrecker but to walk around with one at your face all day long is nuts and now you are considering letting your teenage kids to do the same thing?

I agree with you on hating seeing everyone buried in their phones today, however, while I didnít have a cell phone everywhere I went when I was younger, I recall being able to use a pay phone to contact parents in some situations and that isnít available anymore. And they still make phones that donít have data plans and donít exactly have as much to offer you to keep your face buried in all day.
Cory.Shumate is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 07:12 AM   #26
Cory.Shumate
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
I donít want to do it yet. My wife is on the fence about . Leaning towards getting her one .
Oh quit leaning and just get your wife a phone.
Cory.Shumate is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 07:12 AM   #27
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX & North TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stewart View Post

I agree with much of what you said and if a person of any age stares at their phone like a zombie all day, it's an issue. With that said, when I was growing up everyone had a landline phone in their homes and pay phones where able to be found if needed. I can't imagine leaving my kid at the house by themselves without a way to call me or 911 if needed. I would always have to find pay phones after away football games to communicate with my parents to pick me up ect. A mobile phone remedies these things. Like a gun, any other tool can be dangerous or useful in the right hands. If parents are parenting, it can be managed. I love the way I grew up and I'm not a guy that's crazy about all of the technology. I'd rather live like a hermit in the mountains personally but I have to admit that the reality is that things have changed a lot.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 07:16 AM   #28
CEO
Pope & Young

Same story as many above. Daughter started asking for one around 12. When she turned 14 she started drill team and studio dance, wife wanted her to have one so she could keep in touch. Got her a pre paid flip phone (two actually). After she didn't lose or destroy that one for a predetermined amount of time we got her an iphone.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 07:37 AM   #29
gatt40
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Patricio, Mountain Home & wherever

Beware. Our neighbor got their daughter one when she turned 12. Mother checked it one day & saw she was getting messages from a pervert. They were very explicitly sexual in nature. Yes, phone was taken away.
gatt40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 07:41 AM   #30
JHT
Pope & Young

My kids got one in 6th grade.

Once they got into afterschool sports/activities it was necessary due to their not being phones at the school to use without having to wait in line for 30 minutes to use.

Their middle school teachers use the smart phones in class too so it helps when the kids have one to use the apps as well.

They are in high school now and I can't see how they could get by without not having one in regards to sports/drama/dance/school.

As far as locking down the phones with restrictive rules and safety features to make it safe just remember as long as they have a friend that has internet access they are going to see all the things you are trying to protect them from whenever they wish.

Something else. Kids have work arounds for almost every parental control software that's out there.

As a parent you just need to stay on top of it. Our kids learned their bad phone behavior from us. A few simple rules:

No phones at the dinner table/restaurant.
They get turned off at X time at night.
The grades go the phone goes.

My rule is I spot check their internet history. Write down the date you give them the phone. They know the phone will be taken away from them if the internet history has been deleted since the last time I checked it.

Only twice have they came to me fessing up they clicked on a Youtube link that took them to adult themed blogs/website. They fessed up rather than try hiding it.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 07:43 AM   #31
MnM
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anderson Co.

My daughter got one around 13. Started a lot of headache for us. Gotten better over the last year. Try to hold off as long as you can.
MnM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 07:55 AM   #32
RedBear78
Six Point

Hunt In: Warren,Sourlake,Angelina forest

We or our 12 yo a cheap flip phone just for our benefit.He’s stuck in his Ashbergers world of video games and YouTube and he doesn’t like the responsibility of keeping it charged.It’s been a teaching tool for us to teach him responsibilities because he doesn’t get to leave the house without it.I know it’s a totally different dynamic than most parents,kids and phone situations.I don’t think an I phone will ever be in the cards as long as he lives at home.
RedBear78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 08:00 AM   #33
kcnatural
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills CO.

kcnatural is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 08:27 AM   #34
Anythinghunter8
Eight Point

Hunt In: Flatonia

got mine when i was 15 but it was just a regular flip phone nothing special! i could not see getting my boys a smart phone ever if they want to pay for it they can but daddy wont! but i still got 10 years so maybe i will change my mind!
Anythinghunter8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 08:49 AM   #35
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

I'm thinking 12. they're only 8 and 5 right now, so I have some time to figure it out.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 09:12 AM   #36
Nova
Ten Point

My son got his when he was 13 due to a lot of afterschool activities. He has no social media and an internet blocker for family friendly content. You can also limit times on certain apps.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #37
TKRanch
Ten Point

We got our kids theirs when they were 12 and the reality was it was more for us than them with all of their activities and the fact that we both worked a lot. It worked well and only really took a few rules and monitoring. Luckily we have reallly good kids! Good luck!
TKRanch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 09:39 AM   #38
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

We got my son a phone at around 10. He would spend the night with a friend and we wanted him to be able to call us if he needed to.
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 09:42 AM   #39
Mike Fangman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ranger & Kerrville

Im thinking around 12 years old, whenever they went into to 6th grade and started riding the bus.
Mike Fangman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 10:54 AM   #40
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 10:55 AM   #41
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Searching.

I am not going to let my kid watch TV, tablet, phone until at last 3 or 4 years of age. Kids are becoming addicted to technology, video games etc and it is having a big effect on social skills. I played video games when I was a kid but I guess they were never good enough to suck me in... I dont remember a day growing up when I did not prefer to be outside playing with neighbors and I am 33.

I realized I hadn't addressed your question. Things may change in the next 10 years but I don't see us allowing a phone until 15 or 16. Certainly there are circumstances that would and should change that, and blessedvet had one that would be a great reason for kids to have cell phones.

Here is something I read yesterday which touches on addiction to cell phones and technology.

https://www.checkupnewsroom.com/a-di...their-devices/

Last edited by ctom87; 06-04-2021 at 11:02 AM.
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 11:04 AM   #42
riverbowman
Ten Point

When they got to middle school and started getting involved in all kinds of activities. Made our lives much easier.
riverbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 11:07 AM   #43
IOWA BOW HUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over the place

13-14 unless you work alot and their home alone than I could see sooner.

On a side note I am very happy my first motarola flip phone didnt allow my parents to track me, on top of that have the ability to look through my web history or I would of wind up in military school....

Last edited by IOWA BOW HUNTER; 06-04-2021 at 11:40 AM.
IOWA BOW HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 11:12 AM   #44
JHT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctom87 View Post

Here is something I read yesterday which touches on addiction to cell phones and technology.

https://www.checkupnewsroom.com/a-di...their-devices/

That article wouldn't exist if parents turned the tech off when signs of addiction started appearing. Daily use time on the phone is really easy to check or set rules on the phone to shut it off after X amount of activity.

Its as simple of putting the cookie jar out of reach after the kids have had enough sugar for one night.

Strange concept to have to explain to parents.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 11:38 AM   #45
jer_james
Pope & Young

Daughter got one at 10 when She started walking home from school with her little Sister. Also made communication much easier during Cheer practices and other practices/events. I have 4 kids (2 live 1/2 time with their Mom), and am constantly running around between games and practices. If I'm going to be a few minutes late, or there is a class/practice that the kiddo wants to stay later for, I like them being able to do that without me running around like a mad man. It is definitely not a necessity, but has made life easier.

We have multiple apps for all 4 of my kids. It shows every message/email/call/face time. Also shows the safari history of every website visited. Provides a list of youtube shows watched. Gets completely shut down at 9 pm every evening.

There are definitely scares associated.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 11:59 AM   #46
MossyRockRanch
Six Point

Hunt In: Jack County

12 for both girls because of sports or would of waited till high school. No social media and they are limited on time also. Momma got these pretty much locked down ....
MossyRockRanch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 12:36 PM   #47
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

I will try and hold off till HS, I have had to attend numerous Continuing Ed class on the effects of technology on kids. After one session we have decided to take all iPads and computers away, also zero video games. Since the change (which was difficult) our house has been so much better. Cell phones can cause loads of problems for kids, definitely not a easy subject.
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 01:02 PM   #48
NBK75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Guadalupe

With girls 27

Boys 15/16
NBK75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 01:10 PM   #49
Briar Friar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran28 View Post
Word. I believe if they dont earn it...they wont appreciate the work to get one and therefore will be careless. When it breaks theyll say...“Oh just buy a new one”...BullFS. Do without.

I like Sacketts tactic too.

My kids latch onto and abscond with my wifes phone. She is always looking for it. They know better than to try that with Dads phone.

Good luck Mr Strummer. Ill be in your shoes soon.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #50
Strummer
Pope & Young

Thanks guys . My girl is 9 now . Iím going to try to hold off as long as I can .