Cold Case Murder Solved - My Nam Buddy and his wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Case Murder Solved - My Nam Buddy and his wife

I found out today that the cold case of one of my old platoon members and his wife was solved in 2019. They were murdered in 1973. Genealogical DNA helped find the murderer, who died in 2003.

Over four decades after a young couple was discovered dead in their Montana home, authorities revealed Monday they finally tracked down their killer with the help of a genealogy database.

Cliff Barnhardt and his wife Linda were High School sweethearts and lived in Billings, Montana.

He's in this picture standing fourth from the right, next to the grunt pointing his middle finger at him. Cliff was one of our M60 gunners.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vietnam1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	479.5 KB
ID:	25250384

Their souls can now rest.

Comment

Great news!

Comment

Cool pic Froggy. Only a bunch of grunts can ham it up in such a miserable place. Drive on ground pounder.

Comment

Good to hear Black Knight.

Comment

The solider on the right on the end looks like my cousin Weldon Buchhorn who died from agent orange about 35-40 years ago.

Comment

That's great it was solved, been better if the crime was never committed. At least the family and friends now know, the truth. I always preach, prevention. Own at least one gun, if not a lot, keep one loaded and ready to go, and don't hesitate to use it. Would be a much better story, had the couple lived, unharmed and the rapist/ killer, had been the one who died that night.

I watch murder mystery shows regularly and often think how easily something like some of those situations could easily happen to someone like my daughter. Then afterwards, I am on her case about being alert, careful and armed.

Comment

So glad to hear it was solved. Genealogical DNA has been a game changer in a lot of these cold cases.

Comment

Glad it was solved. God bless their souls.

Comment

Great pic...............
                    RIP.......jar head...............

Name:	Cadet+Salute+Navy.png
Views:	26
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	24652721

Comment

Wow that’s awesome

I hope and pray that will happen in my brothers case.

Comment

Glad to hear there is some closure!

Bro Bill, I'm looking forward to one day reading the same closure thread started by you.

Comment

Great news! Froggy, where are you in the photo?

Comment

That is awesome that they were able to solve this case. RIP brother Devil Dog. Semper Fi!

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
                              Great news! Froggy, where are you in the photo?
                              I'm not in that picture. I was the photographer. The picture was taken on FSB Mace soon after coming out of Cambodia in late June 1970.

We were 3rd Platoon, Co. D 2/5 Infantry, 1st Air Cavalry.

I'm the skinny guy on the right in this picture and the only one still living.

Name:	Vietnam5 (3).jpg
Views:	6
Size:	364.0 KB
ID:	24652726
                              Last edited by Froggy; 05-19-2021, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X