School me on South Texas Hunting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on South Texas Hunting.

I’ve spent the majority of my life hunting Central Texas Ish with a couple of trips to the panhandle and one trip to Cotoulla a long time ago. Just got on a place down South and just looking for tips and recommendations on what I need to expect, prepare for, do differently?

For instance am I right in seeing that most do not build pens around their feeders? Something we’ve always done around here, if so why or why don’t you.

Thank you ahead of time I appreciate it and we’re excited about a new stretch in the journey.
    Last edited by em12; 12-22-2020, 07:43 PM.

Deer are bigger!! It took a couple sits for my eyes to adjust to the size of the deer. I have seen nubbin bucks the size of full grown hill country does. Also, our place had a javilina issue, problem is you are only allowed two per year. They eventually got tired of us throwing rocks at them.

Comment

Relatively new to the brush country myself but learning quickly. If there’s livestock or pigs and javelina, build a pen. The deer have no problem jumping in.

Comment

Build a pen. Hogs are thick and will take over a feeder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’d don’t have pens, deer and javalina eat together, hogs and deer do not. We don’t have a ro of hogs but some. Corn on roads works great too.

Comment

We build pens because we have hogs... deer are bigger body my last two bucks were 200lbs and were more of a management bucks... ruts varies on the amount of rain... I just got back last night and rut and it’s just now starting with the young bucks chasing old ones aren’t hitting it hard yet whereas most years we’d be full blown week before Xmas. It’s rough country, thick, dry and hard on equipment, feeders blinds everything. Some counties have problems with poaching but I think that’s anywhere. I miss having a lot of trees but still nothing like south Texas brush.

Comment

I would definitely recommend a pen. If the hogs don’t raid your feeders the javelina will. A good pair of snake boots helps with not only snakes but keeps all the burrs off your boots. A good pair of leather gloves. In South Texas your not just going to walk up to a kill and grab a leg to drag out with out getting a hand full of cactus. Also water is a game changer so if your far from a source of water consider building a watering station.

Good luck and welcome to South Texas.

Comment

Pens, snake boots, tweezers. Let em grow, lots of potential to get big. Bodies are shocking compared to hill country and you will undervalue horns on occasion due to it.

Comment

Depends what county your hunting at but terrain also differs from sand to clay to hard rock ground and dirt be prepared with a good set of tires as well for them mesquite thorns! Don’t be surprised to see a group of illegals walking across a sendero early in the morning just remain in your blind and let them pass they don’t mean harm but a coyote can and will do anything to keep from getting busted.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                    Relatively new to the brush country myself but learning quickly. If there’s livestock or pigs and javelina, build a pen. The deer have no problem jumping in.
                    This , javelina , livestock, hogs. I use welded reenforced panels
                    As some of the ranch’s have some very persistent cows pushing the panels. I Feed whole cotton seed and corn year round
                    And try to harvest @ 7+ years old
                    All on low fence
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 12-22-2020, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info so far guys- we are in Dimmit County and we do have pigs so I think I’ll roll with pens- what size pens do y’all generally like to go with? How many hog panels for instance, 16 fters is what we have always used in the past. Plenty of water around so that is not a worry thankfully.

Comment

Originally posted by em12 View Post
                        Thanks for the info so far guys- we are in Dimmit County and we do have pigs so I think I’ll roll with pens- what size pens do y’all generally like to go with? How many hog panels for instance, 16 fters is what we have always used in the past. Plenty of water around so that is not a worry thankfully.
                        Pen sizes 15-20 panels for us, with some bigger
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 12-22-2020, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by em12 View Post
                          12 16’ panels will give you a circle with a sixty foot diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
                            12 16’ panels will give you a circle with a sixty foot diameter.
                            What he said^^^

Comment

Buy a good tailgate feeder. They are often more effective in South Texas than regular feeders.

All the rest is good. We don't use feed pens but then we don't have too many javelina or hogs. Some but not too many. No livestock either. So no need for a feed pen. Every situation is different, if you need them build them.

Comment

Working...
                              X