Cowtown Bowmen facility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cowtown Bowmen facility

I'll preface by admitting that I'm still a baby in the world of archery. Bought my first bow only 4 months ago, and have only been shooting at 20-25yds in my backyard so I still have lots to figure out and tons to learn.

I joined the Cowtown Bowmen archery club last week via their website, and finally got a chance to head out to the range for the first time this morning. There was a young lady ahead of me at the gate heading to the static range with her recurve, so I closed it up for the both of us, but it was otherwise quiet without a mess of people which I must admit was a plus in my mind.
    I didn't have a lot of time to play around in that part of town before I had some actual work to do, so I grabbed my bow and took off for the field course. I am not a super high maintenance kinda guy but I was thoroughly impressed with how well maintained the place was. Trails were mowed down, and easy to follow, (thanks guys) paper targets were hung and had some holes in em like they are supposed to, but they weren't soggy or falling apart and were perfectly visible. (obviously regularly maintained, again thanks) Targets were plenty firm, and required some muscle to pull arrows. Actually caused me to order an arrow puller from amazon as my backyard Block Classic didn't require me to work hard enough to order one previously. Distances were marked (one of my sons pulled my rangefinder outta my bag unbeknownst to myself so I couldn't verify distance) so I was actually able to enjoy my time up there without beating myself up too badly.

As I shot from the 11th nock box, I spooked a 4-pt buck, a doe, and what I believe were her twins that were feeding about 10 yds to my right, so they jogged about 20 yards then watched me watching them. I was able to ogle them for about 10 minutes before I moved on to the next target. Pretty cool pets to have around there, as they didn't seem too concerned by my presence, more just surprised by the sound of my bow breaking the silence they were enjoying.

I'm excited to spend some more time out there, and look forward to participating in some club shoots and meeting some other members.
    Per the newsletter, they'll have a "Haunted Trail" for halloween, so I'll be taking my boys up that way for sure.

This thread doesn't have much of a point other than to share my initial experience and give a public "Thank you" to the Hubbards and everyone else involved for making such a place available as there isn't much else around here to make archery super accessible. The EXTREMELY reasonable membership fees are also an incredible bargain, so everyone should join even if you never go, just to keep the place alive for the next generation.

Yeah, Cowtown is pretty good. They hosted the State ASA shoot a few weeks ago.

Comment

Welcome to the club and thanks for the positive review! I look forward to meeting you at club events.

John Parker

Comment

Originally posted by MRWHITE87 View Post
        I'll preface by admitting that I'm still a baby in the world of archery. Bought my first bow only 4 months ago, and have only been shooting at 20-25yds in my backyard so I still have lots to figure out and tons to learn.

I joined the Cowtown Bowmen archery club last week via their website, and finally got a chance to head out to the range for the first time this morning. There was a young lady ahead of me at the gate heading to the static range with her recurve, so I closed it up for the both of us, but it was otherwise quiet without a mess of people which I must admit was a plus in my mind.
        I didn't have a lot of time to play around in that part of town before I had some actual work to do, so I grabbed my bow and took off for the field course. I am not a super high maintenance kinda guy but I was thoroughly impressed with how well maintained the place was. Trails were mowed down, and easy to follow, (thanks guys) paper targets were hung and had some holes in em like they are supposed to, but they weren't soggy or falling apart and were perfectly visible. (obviously regularly maintained, again thanks) Targets were plenty firm, and required some muscle to pull arrows. Actually caused me to order an arrow puller from amazon as my backyard Block Classic didn't require me to work hard enough to order one previously. Distances were marked (one of my sons pulled my rangefinder outta my bag unbeknownst to myself so I couldn't verify distance) so I was actually able to enjoy my time up there without beating myself up too badly.

As I shot from the 11th nock box, I spooked a 4-pt buck, a doe, and what I believe were her twins that were feeding about 10 yds to my right, so they jogged about 20 yards then watched me watching them. I was able to ogle them for about 10 minutes before I moved on to the next target. Pretty cool pets to have around there, as they didn't seem too concerned by my presence, more just surprised by the sound of my bow breaking the silence they were enjoying.

I'm excited to spend some more time out there, and look forward to participating in some club shoots and meeting some other members.
        Per the newsletter, they'll have a "Haunted Trail" for halloween, so I'll be taking my boys up that way for sure.

This thread doesn't have much of a point other than to share my initial experience and give a public "Thank you" to the Hubbards and everyone else involved for making such a place available as there isn't much else around here to make archery super accessible. The EXTREMELY reasonable membership fees are also an incredible bargain, so everyone should join even if you never go, just to keep the place alive for the next generation.
        Mr White, thank you fort he extremely kind words, they mean a lot to the number of people who do put a lot of time, sweat and effort into making our club what we believe is certainly one of the best in the region [but I am biased ;-)]. We also are hosting our National Archery Day/Iron Cowpatty Shoot on Sept 7th, so be sure to come out and shoot that with us too. It is going to be a blast. :-) - Chuck

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Never knew it was there. Maybe worth looking in to.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

It's ABSOLUTELY worth looking into. I know I've driven past the gate numerous times in the past but had no idea what was beyond. Wasn't an archer so I never thought much of it, beyond "that's a cool custom gate." Then I joined the green screen and in my search for information on many things archery I lurked hundreds of old threads here and discovered their website.

Comment

One of the top 5 places I have shot at, and i have shot all over the state. Maybe top 3

Comment

I used to party at Wildwood park 35-40 years ago when I was a punk-azz kid (man I hated that guy). Was it there then?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Cowtown has always been a great club, moved a few times, but always make the most of where they are. I've been a member off and on for 20 years. More off years than on, but date back to shooting 3d at the old location when I was in high school. Thinking about picking up a membership even if I never use it, as I want to see the club continue to do well.

Comment

I enjoy going there at least a couple of times a year -- from Austin, mind you -- to shoot at that great facility with those friendly and welcoming folks. And, yes, it is a really Cool Gate.

Comment

Working...
                    X