Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is Primetime for Spring Turkey In STX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is Primetime for Spring Turkey In STX?

Talking with a member about a group of us going down to hunt some Rio's just south of Pearsall? Looking at first weekend of April, when is best down that way? What decoys do you guys recommend?
    Last edited by Justin Spies; 03-09-2019, 10:55 AM.

I always say- Get out when you can ! You should be good in early April ; However the later in the season the more likely you'll find a lonely Gobbler since the majority of the Hens are breaking away to go nest . As far a Decoys- They all work ! Some are more lifelike than others but $$ .
    My # 1 thing I try to share with Spring Turkey Hunters is "PATIENCE" .

Comment

Based on what I'm seeing near Medina, the birds are already strutting decent. Should be good on opener

Comment

Originally posted by Lung Pumper View Post
        I always say- Get out when you can ! You should be good in early April ; However the later in the season the more likely you'll find a lonely Gobbler since the majority of the Hens are breaking away to go nest . As far a Decoys- They all work ! Some are more lifelike than others but $$ .
        My # 1 thing I try to share with Spring Turkey Hunters is "PATIENCE" .
        I was really meaning what sex of decoy or combo?

Comment

Any late night bird hunters on here?

Comment

Tough crowd!

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
              I was really meaning what sex of decoy or combo?
              I almost always use a couple of hens and some sort of Jake. I've had my best luck with a half strut but I'll use a breeder or full strut too.

I highly recommend Dave Smith Decoys. You can see my annual thread on why.

For timing, I'd recommend hunting as early as you can. The birds are prime right now! There are a few exceptions, but generally we kill fewer birds as the season progresses. Not to mention it seems to get hotter and nobody likes sitting in a 100 degree popup

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                I almost always use a couple of hens and some sort of Jake. I've had my best luck with a half strut but I'll use a breeder or full strut too.

I highly recommend Dave Smith Decoys. You can see my annual thread on why.

For timing, I'd recommend hunting as early as you can. The birds are prime right now! There are a few exceptions, but generally we kill fewer birds as the season progresses. Not to mention it seems to get hotter and nobody likes sitting in a 100 degree popup
                Thanks for the feedback! What would you think about the weekend of March 30th?

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! What would you think about the weekend of March 30th?
                  With good weather, they should be perfect!

Comment

I like a two on one scene. 2 hens and one gobbler. I really like the new Flextone hen decoys, especially for the money. I still use a Primos B-mobile for my gobbler. I did add in the new remote control spin stake they came out with that you can turn off and on that will rotate a decoy 200 degrees both directions. Looks freakin' sweet...

Comment

Any late night bird hunters on here?
                      I don't think you are supposed to hunt them at night?

Comment

I have never used anything except a lone hen decoy. If the gobblers are answering and coming in at all, I have never had an issue killing one. I usually hunt by myself, and setting up more than one decoy in the heat of the moment can be tough. I hate getting busted setting up decoys before settling in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In the spring???...

Comment

I use the Avian-X Rio turkey combo that has a hen and jake. They have worked really well for me since I got them.

I did a video review of them:

One of my hunts with these decoys:

Comment

Decoys in my experience aren’t worth carrying around late season (last month or so) in heavily hunted areas. Gobblers tens to ha g up once they see them and wait for the decoy to come to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X