Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever kill a flying dove with your trad bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever kill a flying dove with your trad bow?

Come September, I will be on a quest - I am determined to knock a dove out of the air with my longbow. I know the odds are long but I'm thinking about ways to improve my chances. I've got a brushy spot on the edge of a good dove tank where I can be well hidden on a stool. I'm not talking about taking long passing shots, I'm going to cheat (just a little) by putting a Mojo or two in a bare spot about 12 yards away. You know how doves will set their wings and almost hover before landing next to a Mojo? Thwack time! I've only got a few Flu Flu's fletched up - I need to make some more to cut down on arrow-chasing after misses. I also need to find a way to get some practice on flying targets. Anybody tried this?

Never have but I plan on giving them heck this coming season!

Comment

You probably already seen Tim Wells whack-em in south america, but if you haven't you need to watch on you tube. I would think you need more arrows! I know I would!! Good Luck on this quest!!

Comment

Get some of those big wire loop points and increase the odds. I've always wanted to do it, but I'm too lazy to chase that many arrows.

Comment

I can't even hit them with a shotgun! Good Luck! It ought to be fun!

Comment

I have been on the same quest for 3 years! I have not got one yet (I do not get to dove hunt but once or twice a year if I am lucky), but I have learned a thing or two.

1. If you have an area where you can get away without using flu-flus, it would be better. Dove are super fast and can outmaneuver flu-flus most of the time. I have been trying to find a place with heavy cover on the edge and a big open field so when I miss I can still find my arrows waaaaay out there. You also have to lead the birds ridiculously! I mean, when you think you are leading too much, add a few more feet to your lead!

2. Mojo's are a must! I would not hesitate to set a few static decoys as well.

3. The hardest thing I have not been able to overcome is the dove's ability to react to my slightest movement. I get a bird coming in real nice, and as soon as I move to start to draw the bird catches the movement and veers. When they veer, they are flying away from you, and are almost impossible to hit!

4. The small snaro bird points work well.

Good luck, John!

Bisch
            Last edited by Bisch; 07-17-2014, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I didn't think about them being able to juke a slower flying flu flu, but seeing as how I've had them juke an ounce of #8 shot, I can see how that would be a problem. I'm going to try and set up where I'll be shooting toward a rather tall tank dam, hoping it will stop the lower shots for fewer lost arrows. I wonder if could see incoming birds well enough out of a pop-up? That might help with getting drawn undetected...
              Last edited by jerp; 07-17-2014, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Never killed one in the air, but have killed them on the ground. This is what I use for aerial practice. http://www.3riversarchery.com/12+Aer..._baseitem.html

Comment

You best luck is going to be with a Mojo and other decoys to have the dove almost at a stall. They are easy to hit with a 12 gauge and the proper choke throwing a 2 foot diameter pattern. Hitting a 4 oz live agile target will be the ultimate challenge. Good luck!

Comment

Those bird snaro points look like they would help a lot but they are $12.50 a piece! Hmmm, may have to hit the workshop and see if I can come up with a jury-rigged homemade version...

Comment

My $.01 for what it is worth.

The guy in the video is in Argentina... look at how many birds are constantly flying buy. Folks knockdown thousands of birds with a shotgun down there. I am luck if I get an opprotunity at a limit around here.

When I shoot at them with a shotgun, I miss alot when I am thinking about it at all. Finally when I get annoyed at missing, I just start shooting at them and they start to drop. If there is anything I know in my mind I can do better instinctively, it is shooting with a shotgun at a moving bird. What I am saying is don't lead them... just shoot them. The minute you start thinking about how much to lead them... you're screwed. Let you mind figure out the lead for you. It will take some misses to get into a groove.

I have no experience shooting birds with a bow. I'd probably gets some of those wire heads. I'd shoot the spiral flu-flu with 1 wrap instead of 2 so I could get some speed/distance back. And I'd keep trying until I eventually got lucky. then I might keep at it so that you learn how to tell when the time is right to let loose of that string and let your arrow intercept that bird because you've learned how they are likely to react to what is just about to happen.

I want to try it, but I'm not willing to try it unless it was something where I could sit in my back yard in the country and try it.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                        Those bird snaro points look like they would help a lot but they are $12.50 a piece! Hmmm, may have to hit the workshop and see if I can come up with a jury-rigged homemade version...
                        Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

$12.50 a pop is a little much.

Comment

I have with a blow dart

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                            I have with a blow dart
                            Flying????

Comment

Never with a bow but killed two with rocks as a kid!

Comment

Working...
                              X