Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

String Problem

I doing some arrow changes.

Went from a 30 1/2" long, 500 grain arrow to a 28" long 600 grain arrow.

Was bare shafting and tuning my Black Widow. I changed strings as the orginal had wool silencers and I switched to one with String Leaches. The arrow kept porpising with the String Leaches. Could not make it stop. Switched back to the wool silencers and got perfect arrow flight again.

Have any of you seen a similiar phenomenon?

I am going to change out the String Leaches with another type of silencer and see what happens.

BTW it is possilbe that once string is Darcon and the other is D-97. How can I tell?

Is the nock and brace height identical in both? And you are probably right about the dacron and 97 as well.

Comment

Are there nocking points tied above and below the arrow on both strings? Sounds like the arrow is sliding down the string and bouncing off the shelf when you release. I'm thinking the second string is skinnier and the nock fit isn't very tight.

Two nocking points will stop this.

Comment

Very possible if the two strings are different string materials! Anytime you change much of anything, it can change the end result. Also, like Todd said, a D97 string would be much skinnier than a Dacron of the same number of strands, so you could easily have too loose of a nock fit.

I do not have a clue how you tell which is which, but once you find something that works and tunes well for you, write it down and stay with it! Even going from a higher number to a lower number of strands in the same string material CAN make it where you have to do some retuning.

Bisch
        Last edited by Bisch; 05-09-2014, 07:37 AM.

Comment

One way to tell if one is ff and one dacron is check they both have the same brace ht., then take them off the bow and measure them. A dacron string will measure shorter, about 3/4" than ff. It stretches that much when strung. Another way is find a tag end where the loops end, if you can cut it with scissors its dacron, if it slides between the blades its ff.

Comment

Porpoising is generally a nock height issue. Split finger shooters can cause some porpoising if there's too much pressure on the top finger. If you're a 3 under shooter 2 nock points will surely help, I'd measure the wool string nock height and check that to the leech string.

Comment

Never had string leeches affect arrow flight - as has been said above, you've got something else going on and the first suspect is nock point height - test the one with the wool silencers with your bow square and move the string leech one's nock points to the same place they are on the wool string - and as has been said, tie on two nock points, especially if you shoot split finger - it's too easy to push the arrow down with only one nock point shooting split finger - it can also be pushed out of alignment shooting 3 under, though some say it's harder to do, but either way use two nock points. The goal is to eliminate all variables that you can and two nock points eliminates one.

Comment

Well, the nock point height is the 1st suspect. Incorrect height will cause the shaft to bounce off the riser & porpoise. Dyna97 will act very much different than dacron. I would go to Dyna97 or FF with a Black Widow. You will get significant amount arrow speed increase with that and less hand shock.

Comment

Well for those you care here is an update.

I have been adding weight to my arrows. I got up to 600 grains. I noticed problems at the Hill Country shoot when my distances were stretched further than my back yard shots and I was tired.

With a perfect release the arrows fly go with feathers. The day I was shooting with the puffs with good arrow flight I was having a very good release day. I switched back from the String Leach string back to the wool siliencers and they flew badly too.

Basically I had to lighten my arrows to 550 grains. No matter how much I shortened my arrows they did not like having 300 grains or so up front.

I am now playing with 250 grains up front for a total arrow weight of 550 grains. I am still having a little bit of trouble with bare shafts but with feathers all is well.

Some of my bows are handling the setup better than others. I will have to tune each one as I have time. I hope to be able to shoot the 550 out of all of them. The 600 grain arrows sure did shoot quiet.

Comment

Working...
                  X