Mollejas (sweetbread) tacos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good to me!
    I assume a meat market would be the only way to find these?

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
      Looks good to me!
      I assume a meat market would be the only way to find these?
      My HEB carries them regularly. Can even find cheeks. God bless Texas... and HEB

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
        My HEB carries them regularly. Can even find cheeks. God bless Texas... and HEB
        Do you have to ask for them, or are they out on display?

Comment

Do you have to ask for them, or are they out on display?
          In the cooler with the liver, heart, "chittlins", etc. May have to ask in a smaller store.

Comment

In the cooler with the liver, heart, "chittlins", etc. May have to ask in a smaller store.
            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
              I don’t soak them and I don’t trim anything off. I just wash them off then season them. I get the ones from HEB. I’m thinking they are the thymus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Good deal, thanks.
              I’ll be using your recipe for my first batch.

Comment

I trim / clean mine up & been playing around with marinade / soaking overnight before cooking in the butter...I don't add any bbq sauce & prefer them more traditional w/ just seasoning. Been on the border too long I reckon.

I'm thinking of getting a small disk & playing around with other methods.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	C59B93F1-22A6-447E-B355-A18A2F52B6DC.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	24657205
                  Here we go.

Comment

Mollejas (sweetbread) tacos

[ATTACH]1056282[/ATTACH]
                    Here we go.

They shrink up a lot. I forgot to mention to buy twice as much as you think you need.
                    My fiancé and myself can tear up 3 bags ourselves with no leftovers. Lol

Comment

RobinHood, your making me want to drive down south and join you for some Mollejas, dang,, in the comal, nobre shut up!!!!!!! good golly, i am looking for sum this weekend around Mckinney

Comment

I keep coming back to this thread when I'm hungry Lol I've not seen anyone mention my favorite way to do them yet. just one additional step...

When mollejas are done, whether smoked or braised, I chop half of them really small with a cleaver (almost minced) and then crisp them in a cast iron. Just adds some texture and depth of flavor. Of course, served over fresh corn tortilla, cilantro, and onion.

This way, people can choose whole (softer) or "crispy" for their tacos. If someone is having a hard time stomaching the whole glands, crisp them up for them. Good way to introduce someone to Thymus Gland.

I’m liking this

Comment

Well, it was better than I thought it was going to be, but you don’t have to worry about me buying it all up at your local store.

Comment

Well I finally got around to trying these.

Coming along nicely.

After gilling and slicing, I decided to return to the fire.

Time to load em up

Chow time.

First impressions, some were very chewy and some were tender. Maybe I didn’t boil in butter long enough or maybe I should have removed the membrane? I dunno, I’ll have to experiment around with that.
                            You are correct on shrinkage, buy more than you think you’ll need.
                            I prefer the grilled flour tortillas over the corn. Just my preference.
                            I think these would be great chopped up in some scrambled eggs for breakfast.
                            I will be trying this again.

You might think that you're redneck
                            But I'm rednecker than you

Comment

Does anyone know exactly how they make them at La Michoacana meat market?

Comment

I ordered them mixed with tripas last night at a nearby Tocolandia. They were over cooked and chopped and I was disappointed. we recently did some mollejas at home that came out way better. Never tried bbq sauce on mollejas but I would probably like it that way too

Comment

Working...
                                X